PDA

View Full Version : NeoPedia!

RentonDraines
09-01-06, 22:54
So I was thinking- It's so hard to get information about so many things in neocron without asking a million questions. And while there's so much information to learn, there's no real place in the game to find the stuff out.

Then it occured to me: what about some sort of Wikipedia type feature, where players could post comments about particular things, and make some sort of a browsable database in the citycom system? I'm thinking you could submit an entry the way you submit news reports, and KK could check for accuracy and/or terms of use violations. Then players could do a keyword search, and read any related posts.

Information covered could range from basics on using, building and repairing items, to help with the more confusing details of epic missions, to allowing clans to have their own name put in a public database for all to see. (of course there's already a clan database as we all know, but since it would be an "open source" database, the possibilities are practically endless.)

The benefit is twofold:

1: All information would be gathered from players, so the database only grows as fast as public knowlege does, leaving the mystery that KK is obviously trying to keep about many aspects of the game. That is, the only information there would be information already available.

2: New players will now have access to information they wouldn't even know to ask about in the help channel, and won't get frustrated and give up on this complicated game.

rob444
09-01-06, 23:47
Yeah that would be really nice. wikipedia is pretty cool and I've seen similar stuff in other games like guild wars ( www.guildwiki.org (http://www.guildwiki.org) ) would be really nice to have in neocron as well. I could host a temporary one on my http server but it will probably go down for a few min maybe once a week (reboots). (will host it tomorrow)

http://www.mediawiki.org/ if someone else would like to host it on a real domain instead.

-FN-
10-01-06, 00:40
NeoWiki (http://momocat.de/cgi-bin/neowiki.pl) - it's in German tho...

Neocron @ Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocron)

So what are you thinking of? Perhaps something nc.syn like with everything being commentable? The problem you'll find running a Neocron Wiki is who will admin/screen it. nc.syn is basically run by player submissions, but I've never kept an admin for longer than 3 months due to the fact that they usually quit playing after awhile. I would imagine you'd run into the same problem with the Wiki...

I could setup a Neocron wiki at nc.syn tho... *shrug* Would I have time to maintain it tho? Definitely not.

nobby
10-01-06, 00:59
[ edited ]

Paper Dragon
10-01-06, 01:06
[ edited ]

Fixed for you, Nobby.

As for the idea itself; I have to go with FN. Depends on what the overall goal is. Just a knowledge base (Terminology, etc)?

RentonDraines
10-01-06, 01:20
actually, i meant as an ingame feature accessable from the citycom terms.

as for admin, well it'd be up to KK who did that, just as they decide who judges what neocronicle articles get posted. It'd be as simple as this:

citycom -> NeoPediea (or whatever)

click Submit Info button

Enter a keyword or phrase into the keyword box, then enter your description in the description box.

Once you're happy with your posting, you submit.
If the infos are approved, it gets put in the database for others to search or browse.
Yes, i know it's kinda farfectched considering all the citycoms problems there have been over the years, but it was just an idea. it'd be nice to have a place INGAME to actually learn about the game itself, instead of 3rd party fansites.

unreal
10-01-06, 01:25
[ edited ]Just not you. You play on your friends account instead of reactivating your own, so STFU. NeoCrack ftw. :D

RentonDraines
10-01-06, 03:34
could you go more off topic if you tried? sigh.

Paper Dragon
10-01-06, 03:37
Yes, i know it's kinda farfectched considering all the citycoms problems there have been over the years, but it was just an idea. it'd be nice to have a place INGAME to actually learn about the game itself, instead of 3rd party fansites.

I think, in that case, it would be more suited to a webpage on the official website. While the idea to use the CityCom more is admirable, as you say it's not the most reliable of things; I'd hate to see what an extensive knowledge database would do to it.

-FN-
10-01-06, 05:17
actually, i meant as an ingame feature accessable from the citycom terms.
There used to be a mod, I think for NLPro, that was in early beta, but worked nonetheless, that allowed you to open up webpages while playing NC. It was just like having an iframe inside the game. Cool stuff. Embed that into a citycomm and encourage webdevelopers to design for a fixed size with small font...

RentonDraines
10-01-06, 07:01
i didn't think that would be considered within the terms of use? sounds like hacking the client? could u explain it more

kurai
10-01-06, 07:22
It hails from the days when KK had a rather more open policy on clientside mods.

The browser feature for NLPro never got any further than a fairly loose beta, almost `proof of concept` stage, I think.

With the new stricter `lock-down` policy, after KK got burned by cheat mods, this sort of thing would 100% for certain not be allowed.

Nidhogg
10-01-06, 17:24
Keep this thread on topic, please.

N

Zheo
10-01-06, 17:33
I could given the insentive, create a website, buy some website and post up the information, however im not sure I want to spend the money on the hosting fee...

LTA
11-01-06, 20:29
i have a host and wiki installed and have just started such a project.... i am hoping to cover as much as possible but it is long on ma one so if anyone is willing to help me and make pages drop me a message or pm or something... i would appreciate the help and i am sure it would become a great resource.

tho my host name dosent suit the relation, if possible i am sure it could be exported at some date to a proper host name for it which i would pay for?

-FN-
12-01-06, 08:39
http://neopedia.synergyxr.net/

Now who wants to manage it? I sure as hell don't...

RentonDraines
12-01-06, 17:54
wow u're really running with this.. :eek:
let me know if you need some help with it.

-FN-
12-01-06, 18:41
let me know if you need some help with it.
To be as clear as possible, I've set it up, I'll host it - but it's staying exactly like that until someone or a group of someones want to configure it. Nobody can "help" me at this point becuase I'm not doing any more with it. I don't know anything about mediawikis and I honestly don't have the time to undertake such a project atm.

-FN-
02-02-06, 23:14
http://www.nc-wiki.com/

How's this coming along guys?

Bishop Yutani
03-02-06, 00:19
i thought you were putting it together, fn? :D

-FN-
03-02-06, 00:26
Delphi & LTA bought nc-wiki.com and took over the project...

I currently have a big Neocron project of my own nearing release and definitely don't have time for a wiki ;)

Bishop Yutani
03-02-06, 00:51
i know man, i was just kidding. Good luck with whatever you're putting out. yours is the only site i use - wouldnt mind seeing some new material on there.

Do you need help writing or organizing? I write for a living...

-FN-
03-02-06, 00:53
Do you need help writing or organizing? I write for a living...
Guides - Write a guide - I'll format it and post it. Or if you think you can do an existing guide, better, give it a while. When my current project is done, I'll be adding a 'comment' ability to the items... but that's a few weeks away.

james_finn
03-02-06, 13:49
ATM its dead, as LTA seems to have just disapeared, and I have no webspace we have the domain name, but we dont have any space :( Im hoping to get in contact with LTA soon, but Im away for the weekend, so it wont be until next week...

Delphi

Bugs Gunny
03-02-06, 16:03
Noob = one levle up from target practice on stationary botles. Some are known to talk to you.

Fetish = Your friendly drugdealer trying to help you on your quest to capped con.

Poke = Something like an FRE, some suffer more from this than others.

Bishop Yutani
03-02-06, 17:07
i started up writing a construction guide. I need help with the Rares part, as i'm not around that skill level...

Breakaway
04-02-06, 03:33
very nice idea dude, hope reakktor decide to place this into the game, will help alot of people