PDA

View Full Version : Laser light travel

cRazy-
08-01-06, 09:39
pretty cool:

http://www.lightcrafttechnologies.com/gallery_video.html

It uses a laser on the ground to superheat oxygen under the object, causing it to combust and propel the lightcraft upwards.

giga191
08-01-06, 12:26
how big is the thing that they are launching?

Dr J Zoidberg
08-01-06, 12:42
Looks like about 2-5 inches in ddiameter and the same in height...

-Z

cRazy-
08-01-06, 13:33
4-5 inches and 50 grams in weight, its made out of aircraft grade aluminium.

giga191
08-01-06, 14:43
do they even know what would happen if they made a larger one?

eLcHi
08-01-06, 17:27
Maybe the world would explode ?

;)

rob444
08-01-06, 17:39
do they even know what would happen if they made a larger one?

With that piece of technology, they probably couldn't use a much larger object than that.

RusSki
08-01-06, 18:01
It truly is amazing, i've seen their work before during their earlier testing phaze.
I'd worry about inconsistencies of the shield on the underside of the craft. It can lead to the destruction of the launch vehicle as LTI discovered in previous tests they have done.

Also to ensure the craft travels along the line of the laser beam (i.e. straight up) the craft has to be spun up to a high rpm on its launch platform. For the tests they have done so far this was acheived using compressed air. Not sure how fast a large launch craft would have to be spun but i'm sure it would be fairly uncormfortable for human passengers.

nobby
08-01-06, 19:12
Quite interesting :p

Agent L
10-01-06, 13:06
5years old news...

At least now we know how high-power laser sounds like :D

RusSki
10-01-06, 13:11
prolly more like u know what the sound of the laser hitting the underside of the craft and causing a small explosion sounds like

Dribble Joy
10-01-06, 13:15
The oxygen doesn't actually combust, unless there is fuel there (and technically oxygen never combusts, a fuel does ;)), the laser is focused, causeing the air to plasmaise rapidly, causing a dramatic increase in volume of the fluid, which provides a trusting force when used on the bottom of the plate.

This could be used on a larger scale, after all, a conventional rocket simply causes a directed, controlled explosion beneith it. The problem is making a laser powerfull enough and not scattering any of the laser energy elsewhere where it would cause fires and blind people.

Launching from the ground is crap anyway, space elevators ftw.

RusSki
10-01-06, 13:38
Yup DJ, just what i said :angel:

cRazy-
10-01-06, 13:42
The oxygen doesn't actually combust, unless there is fuel there (and technically oxygen never combusts, a fuel does ;)), the laser is focused, causeing the air to plasmaise rapidly, causing a dramatic increase in volume of the fluid, which provides a trusting force when used on the bottom of the plate.

This could be used on a larger scale, after all, a conventional rocket simply causes a directed, controlled explosion beneith it. The problem is making a laser powerfull enough and not scattering any of the laser energy elsewhere where it would cause fires and blind people.

Launching from the ground is crap anyway, space elevators ftw.

lol DJ, I think most are content with exploding oxygen as the answer.

RusSki
10-01-06, 14:44
exactly crazy.

i'm a scientist in a secret weapons research facility so i know my shit :) but lets keep things simple plz. its early and my head still hurts from last night

Pantho
10-01-06, 14:53
o0o0o Intresting , Very intresting is about all i have to say :/