PDA

View Full Version : E'ffin bloody Neocron Messed me up AGAIN!

nobby
08-01-06, 04:58
Trading someone, I come to a stupid Blue screen of Death.

Restarting my computer, I get a message saying windows\windows32\config\system is missing or corrupted...blahblahblah

I reinstall windows XP to find I cannot access all my files, however, my HDD space is the same as before...

I'm pissed off, I want everything back!

My 20 GB of naruto episodes have gone walkies and i'm bored...

So really, can anyone help me access my shit?

Just remembering, MY FUCKING COURSEWORK WAS IN MY DOCUMENTS!

That has to be in for tomorrow :(

20% of my fucking English GCSE is gonna be gone...

KK SORT OUT YOUR FUCKING GAME... :(

elGringo
08-01-06, 05:04
bluescreen != application error
core system / driver problem... but feel free to mail the nc support.. I'm sure they'll appreciate it :)

P.S: If you only reinstalled windows but didnt touch any other partition / drive .. how come you cant access the stuff ? :confused:

P.P.S: Regular Backups & seperated discs for OS/Data = teh win

nobby
08-01-06, 05:07
I had most of my used things in my documents...and some other places...

Is there a way I can recover my documents?

cRazy-
08-01-06, 05:08
haaaaaaaaahahaahah nobby got pooned.

nobby
08-01-06, 05:15
Just piss off

I need help...

elGringo
08-01-06, 05:16

if you didnt format the disk and if you dont use any tools such as safe-eraze etc that overwrite deleted files with a bunch of 000...then yes, there is a slight chance you'll be able to recover bit's n pieces... only if the physical location on the disk hasnt been re-used for the fresh install :p
err... well.. I did say slight... it's unlikely but not impossible :)

nobby
08-01-06, 05:19
Can you explain why there's Space being used up that I cannot locate...

says I have 9.16GB remaining of 111GB

after calculating the total space of all my hidden folders and normal folders on my C drive, I can only find like 65GB of data... :(

Cadgar
08-01-06, 06:10
welcome to windows

nobby
08-01-06, 06:26
That doesn't help...

elGringo
08-01-06, 06:43
check your hdd with this little util: http://www.jamsoft.de/freeware/TreeSizeSetup.exe to find out where diskspace is wasted.

make sure you dont have a hidden system partition / 2nd os partition on the hdd ...happened to me once, same result.

nobby
08-01-06, 07:01
Does this help you?

unreal
08-01-06, 07:42
This problem is feck all to do with neocron, more to do with your own stupidity from what I can tell. If you send an email to Reakktor complaining about that I hope they come shoot you. Blue screens are usually to do with driver or hardware related issues, or to do with the kernel itself. Did you note down anything you saw on the blue screen? (ie, the symbolic name (if any) and the error type along with it).

cshank4
08-01-06, 09:14
Looks to me like you gots a virus.

FarSight
08-01-06, 09:32
I reinstall windows XP

You installed win xp over previous win xp ?
If its true never/ever call it reinstall lol ....

1st. try to boot win xp in .... Safe Mode (dont know wxtact name in english .. anyway F8 @ startup and choose 1 option) and after login try to access your files (in Safe Mode windows only starts core services ... this is helpfull with most viri/trojans that cant be deleted in normal mode).
2nd. Check Access Rights / Owner status of that folder (RMB/Properites/Security) if there will be smt like Administrator or YourUserName with all (or at least Read) rights granted then its nothing to do here but if there is no administrator/normal user at all or they are w/o Read you can try Advanced button , Owner tab and change ownership of that folders (including sbfolders and files) for your current Administrator profile then grant self all right to access them.

PS. In now @ W2K Pro Polish version so some names/tabs/buttons i could misspeled.

EDIT:
As stated before so called "blue screen" is usually because:
- damaged win core files
- drviers (damaged / beta drivers / unoficial drivers)
- hardware problems (if you got this constatly check cooling system, use soft like SiSoft Sandra to check your hardware)
Some times it can be related to application especially applications that directly mess with hardware (cd emulators, some benchmark soft, dissasemblers, driver deveopment kits etc etc)
When you got blue screen you get some nubers in first line that identifi what happens like:
0xc000021a (0xe1270188, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
write them down and try to search on microsoft www (search first number for eg 0xc000021a) you will got result like This (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.support.microsoft.com%2fkb%2f192463%2fen-us%2f) and it will help you determine whats wrong

rob444
08-01-06, 11:18
Doesn't NTFS try to protect the harddrive from external usage on another computer? I mean, if you take out your system drive and put it into another computer and try to access the user's files under "my document" for example, you wont be able too, most likely because you are not the owner of those documents. I _think_ you could create an account with the same username as before and with the same password and you should be able to access those files *hopefully*.

Other than that, tried windows repair? Put in the win xp cd, boot it and run repair.

FarSight
08-01-06, 11:35
Doesn't NTFS try to protect the harddrive from external usage on another computer? I mean, if you take out your system drive and put it into another computer and try to access the user's files under "my document" for example, you wont be able too, most likely because you are not the owner of those documents. I _think_ you could create an account with the same username as before and with the same password and you should be able to access those files *hopefully*.

You cant so easy create identical user account on other computer :D
Account from other computer/windows installations will be visible like:
{S-1-5-21-1409082233-1801674531-682003330-500}
To make fake account matching oryginal account (if its even possible never tried it) you will prolly need do much work in windows registry ....

but this i wrote earlier:

2nd. Check Access Rights / Owner status of that folder (RMB/Properites/Security) if there will be smt like Administrator or YourUserName with all (or at least Read) rights granted then its nothing to do here but if there is no administrator/normal user at all or they are w/o Read you can try Advanced button , Owner tab and change ownership of that folders (including sbfolders and files) for your current Administrator profile then grant self all right to access them.

is solution for geting ownership/access rights to files on NTFS drives from other computer/windows installations

RogerRamjet
08-01-06, 13:32
Jesus christ nobby, for a guy who works in a PC store your computer breaks alot :p

Only advice i can offer is never save your coursework solely to your hard drive.

I went through the effort of using 2 or so different copies on floppies.

nobby
08-01-06, 13:47
Other than that, tried windows repair? Put in the win xp cd, boot it and run repair.

I don't understand the smelly commands I have to put in at that screen...

rob444
08-01-06, 13:48
I don't understand the smelly commands I have to put in at that screen...

Then google, there are tons of useful information out there and even tutorials on how to repair your windows.

nobby
08-01-06, 13:49
K ta !

edit : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307654

I don't understand what I'd have to put in :p

Dromidas
08-01-06, 14:31
It sounds like your old files are still registered to your old windows xp account. All you have to do is sign in under your administrator on your new winxp and set ownership to include your new account. (make sure the 'include subfolders' is selected)
These settings are under rightclick-properties-security, and I think theres an advanced or something button there, or maybe its on the first screen, i forget.

Skusty
08-01-06, 14:35
Its pretty stupid to not print your school work after your done, i allways do that.

Rabiator
08-01-06, 14:50
A little hint for the future:
Create two separate partitions, let's call them C:\ and D:\. C:\ is for Windows and applications, D:\ is for your data (including homework).
The next time Windoze goes south on you, all you need to do is reformat C:\ and reinstall Windoze. Of course, an additional backup is never wrong. It covers things like the accidental format D:\, when you really wanted to format C:\ :D

unreal
08-01-06, 15:15
Indeed Rabi, on this machine I have 11 partitions over three hard drives. It's always best to store important data on a different partition, possibly disallowing access to one that contains sensitive data (like credit details or possibly your homework, you never know).

I was playing neocron the other day and fatal'd, randomly got spyware and such at that very moment, and I wasn't doing anything to even be close to explaining how it got on board. I also manually force Internet Explorer to be unusable since it's one of the most lethal pieces of Microsoft software. Just formatted my windows install partition and reinstalled it from scratch; I tend to format that partition often, it helps keep the partition in nice healthy order without needing to waste twice as much time defragging it. The only thing I lost was my GTA San Andreas install because I entirely forgot about it at the time (probably 4am ish before I went to work, meh). :P

nobby
08-01-06, 15:59
It sounds like your old files are still registered to your old windows xp account. All you have to do is sign in under your administrator on your new winxp and set ownership to include your new account. (make sure the 'include subfolders' is selected)
These settings are under rightclick-properties-security, and I think theres an advanced or something button there, or maybe its on the first screen, i forget.

Sorry, Where do I right click?

Dromidas
08-01-06, 16:18
Are you still able to see the folder like "Nobby's Documents"? You need to rightclick on that folder.

It should be under (default setting) c:\documents and settings\nobby_old\nobby's documents

Oh I almost forgot, incase you're not winxp savvy I might as well explain this as its quick and easy. Incase you can't see the "Security" tab when you rightclick, you have to open up windows explorer and go to Tools, Folder options, then View, then scroll down till you find "Simple File Sharing". Uncheck that box.
You should be able to see security now.

Now that I'm looking at it, under Security tab click that Advanced button, you should see an Owner tab. You'll want to add your account name in that bottom box that says "Change owner to:". Only the administrator (or I think an account flagged with Admin rights) can do it, so make sure you're logged in as admin. Either way, Admin can't give access to other accounts, can only take ownership.

MAKE SURE TO HAVE "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects" checked or you'll have to do it again for every subfolder and its a huge pain in the ass :P

Think I covered everything after like 8 edits :P But if you get confused I might have missed something so don't hesitate to ask.

Nidhogg
08-01-06, 16:33
I'm sorry but this is BS. There's no way that a game crashing is going to destroy your operating system. What's far more likely is that whatever took out your OS also took out the game (since games don't run very well on broken machines). Blaming lost coursework on Neocron is such a crap excuse - let me know how you get on with that back at school.

N

Dromidas
08-01-06, 16:37
I'm sorry but this is BS. There's no way that a game crashing is going to destroy your operating system. What's far more likely is that whatever took out your OS also took out the game (since games don't run very well on broken machines). Blaming lost coursework on Neocron is such a crap excuse - let me know how you get on with that back at school.

N
Nidhogg is mostly right though, neocron likely didn't cause it by itself. There was likely either some overclocking going on and a timing issue happened to cause corruption of your registry, or a massive driver conflict of magnificent proportions, or simple harddrive failure (caused by many things).
Could also be a failing or malfunctioning network card, RAM, or even the result of a power failure.
Games, taking up a large amount of ram/cpu, tend to act as a catalyst and cause problems to occur where otherwise they would have laid dormant. (certain games which use certain methods to do things, like for example NC2 might cause the crash where an opengl game (nwn) may not have, or an online game vs offline game)

unreal
08-01-06, 16:38
Well said Nidhogg.

Eddie
08-01-06, 17:00

Nope that doesn't work. I think you are generated a unique ID when you create an account.. and this ID is used to check security privledges.

What you can do though, is if you are an administrator, is to take ownership of the files/folders in question and change the security that way.

Eddie

ZoVoS
08-01-06, 18:10
try a ntfs file recovery bootdisk =]

nobby
08-01-06, 18:44
Are you still able to see the folder like "Nobby's Documents"? You need to rightclick on that folder.

It should be under (default setting) c:\documents and settings\nobby_old\nobby's documents

Oh I almost forgot, incase you're not winxp savvy I might as well explain this as its quick and easy. Incase you can't see the "Security" tab when you rightclick, you have to open up windows explorer and go to Tools, Folder options, then View, then scroll down till you find "Simple File Sharing". Uncheck that box.
You should be able to see security now.

Now that I'm looking at it, under Security tab click that Advanced button, you should see an Owner tab. You'll want to add your account name in that bottom box that says "Change owner to:". Only the administrator (or I think an account flagged with Admin rights) can do it, so make sure you're logged in as admin. Either way, Admin can't give access to other accounts, can only take ownership.

MAKE SURE TO HAVE "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects" checked or you'll have to do it again for every subfolder and its a huge pain in the ass :P

Think I covered everything after like 8 edits :P But if you get confused I might have missed something so don't hesitate to ask.

I can't find simple file sharing... Look here

Dromidas
08-01-06, 21:58
ah crap, you must have home edition or something. What type of win xp and what service pack you running?

my bro works at microsoft, i can ask him if he knows any way to do that in the home version, even if he doesn't at least one of his coworkers should

edit:
ok appearantly its not possible to turn off simple file sharing in home edition (assuming thats what you have).
what you have to do is restart your computer into safe mode (press f8 before the win xp screen appears during computer boot up). Log in under administrator and you should be able to edit the owner in safe mode.

Once in safemode go to your \documents and settings\noddy's documents\
and right click on the documents folder, the security tab should be there.
Assuming it is (big assumption.. but best I have at the moment) you can just follow the instructions I gave on the previous post.

This is where it should be in win xp pro (any service pack)
I'm guessing you have home edition?

nobby
08-01-06, 23:09
yes I do.

I shall try the safe mode in a sec

Mighty Max
08-01-06, 23:13
edit: Id better read better :D

Dromidas
08-01-06, 23:16
Here's a picture with numbers :D

Rightclick "Nobby's Documents" and select Properties

1) Go to this tab
2) Click this button labeled "Advanced"
3) Go to this tab labeled "Owner"
4) Make sure the subcontainer option is turned on.
5) Select Administrator where the arrow is pointing

Then click Apply then Ok.
It should give you a progress bar and list all the files its giving you ownership to.
Once thats done just restart and log in under Admin as normal.

Ryen
08-01-06, 23:49
I consider it a good thing that you lost 20 gig's worth of a shitty anime. Grats.

Also, neocron didn't cause a bluescreen, your computer's components did.

nobby
09-01-06, 00:37
Naruto is not shitty :p

It educates me into improving my language skills in Japanese !

I'll be going in the summer this year :)

nobby
09-01-06, 00:39

1) Go to this tab

It should give you a progress bar and list all the files its giving you ownership to.

I don't have the security tab since I use windows XP home :(

Dromidas
09-01-06, 00:56
I don't have the security tab since I use windows XP home
Damn, even under safe mode? I've found two independant sources that said the Security tab was visible in Home edition if you're logged in as Administrator while in Safe mode.
Let me see what else I can find, I'm sure theres another way to do it.

edit:
Ok, here's a suggestion I found on tweakxp.com, a real nice site.

Instructions: Download the x86 (Intel) version of the Security Configuration Manager and save it to your hard disk. Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a temporary location on your hard disk. Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the Setup.inf (Setup Information) file. Right click Setup.inf and select Install. After the installation is finished, reboot your computer.
The link to the SCM is http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/scm/default.asp
I don't know if this will work for sure or not since I can't test it myself, so I guess its try it at your own risk.
Supposedly, once this is installed, the Security Tab under Right Click -> Properties will be visible.

nobby
09-01-06, 22:11

1) Go to this tab

Wheeey it worked!!!

Your picture was soooo useful :p

I had to cut and paste all my files into my username since I couldn't access the folder, so yeah Thanks mate I LUV YOUUUUUUUUUUUU

Pantho
10-01-06, 15:56

If you dont have the same username when re-installing the Operating System then the old Document-user settings stay the same, well did for me ^^

Also after the re-install and u get ur work back i would advise a full wipe/clean.

Windows XP never like a re-install with me