PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Punisher.

Paper Dragon
08-01-06, 03:17
Alrightey, after absolutely falling in love with the Punisher aftering playing the game and seeing the film, I thought I might as well get off my arse and actually read the stuff that these things were based on.

But, here's the thing: Where to start? o_O

I've heard there's a series of Punisher comics called "Welcome Back, Frank" which is supposed to be suited to newbies like me, but my comic book experience pretty much starts and ends with the Beano and Dandy. Ahem.

Any help on what to start with, and where I can get ahold of them, would be wonderful.

/EDIT - I've also heard something regarding a "MAX" series; supposedly the more mature end of the Marvel universe that isn't afraid to deal with more explicit storylines and artwork. Anyone able to elaborate?

Dromidas
08-01-06, 03:27
The Punisher game was good? My friends mentioned it really sucked so I never even bothered to install it. With your bias towards Punisher set aside, what did you think of it?

Paper Dragon
08-01-06, 03:42
The Punisher game was good? My friends mentioned it really sucked so I never even bothered to install it. With your bias towards Punisher set aside, what did you think of it?

It was the reason I fell in love with the Punisher. :P

While it's quite repetitive if played for long stretches, it's an enjoyable game to play, and has a fair bit of content to unlock (Comic covers, new costumes, extra abilities, "challenges" for completed levels and so on).

While heavily censored for the UK and American release, a couple of unofficial patches restore to the game to it's former, bloody, glory.

suler
08-01-06, 06:21
Alright here is where you want to start, Punisher v3 is the big come back. It's 12 issues and everybody really considers it the redifining of the punisher. The trade paperback of these issues is the one called welcome back frank.

After that is v4 which is like 37 issues I believe, still wrote by the same guy so it's more of the same. V5 is the newest and the current run which is the 'max' series once again still wrote by the same guy, but marvel wants to group their more mature comics under a different title even though it's basically wrote the same way.

EDIT: I like v3 and onward and if you liked the game story you'll probably like it also.

Matthew.v.smith
08-01-06, 16:37
I heard that the Punisher game was pretty cool too, a nice game-of-movie for once, although as Paper said it is apparently pretty repetitive, but what games aint after a certain time eh?

might try it sometime ^^

M.

Spermy
08-01-06, 17:15
Forbidden Planet is your friend.

sanityislost
08-01-06, 17:18
Forbidden Planet is your friend.

i love that place :D

SiL ..:..

Spermy
08-01-06, 17:24
i love that place :D

SiL ..:..

It's fucking extortionate, and for the most part full of tossers. A verging interest is perfectly healthy, but you get a little preturbed by some of the guys who dedicate thier lives to the stuff.

Paper Dragon
08-01-06, 21:27
Thanks, Sul. Looks like I've got a bit of ordering to do.