PDA

View Full Version : Who needs rifles when you have pistols?

Dogface
07-01-06, 00:12
Is this true? This is the statement given to me by a fella I was chatting to in-game a few days ago.

Are rifles useless when we have pistols?
Is a Slasher or Executioner better than a Healing light or Disruptor?
Is a TSU Assault rifle or Pain Easer better than a Liberator or a Judge?

Is there any real advantage rifles have over pistols or are they all just the same weapons with different skins?

Discuss.
(would like to keep this from mutating into a monk-related topic if possible :D )

Dribble Joy
07-01-06, 00:25
Pistol range is just insane, and with the minimal wep needed, there isn't much point in rifles apart from using the HL because of it's somewhat buggy nature.

Tratos
07-01-06, 01:08
Rifles look cooler :/ lol i think thats about it....

Terayon
07-01-06, 01:09
Rifles are easier to aim then pistols for the most part. Rifles are way better for raids becouse of the distance, and though the exe looks like it has a good range, try hitting a moving target at a fair distance.

I think the rare rifles and pistols are fine with a few exeptions.

Pistols should have a bit less accuracy at all ranges.
Rifles should have a bit higher accuracy then they do now at all ranges.

Its retarded how a liberator when locked will hit a higher % of its bullets then a pain easer. Also like DJ said, pistols are to easy to cap.

Need some good non rare rifles, and a few more pistols also.

xyl_az
07-01-06, 01:39
Is this true? (...)

Are rifles useless when we have pistols?

(...)

the answer is: yes

the only serious use for rifles is sniping and even that is kinda pointless with the current game mechanics.

TS Rifle is highly overpowered so dont count that into equation

Scanner Darkly
07-01-06, 01:56
We had this exact thread a week ago. . .

Here goes again:

Rifles can all be scoped which makes aiming at long range much easier over pistols.
Silent Hunter has a scope that will reach beyond visible range (not sure how scope mods work now, since I haven't used one in evo 2.1). It also does a great deal of damage with an optional "silent mode" (no hit noise when the bullet hits you).

The fact remains that a lot of combat takes place up close where the rifle advantage is nullified.

However, if you chose to play a sniper (using range to take down your enemies before they see you/reach you), using pistols will be beyond annoying.

Dogface
07-01-06, 02:28
What about a Termi? Surely a shotgun must be better than a pistol at close range? If not, I sense something silly is going on :wtf:

(TSU epic rifle is overpowered!?)

Btw, didn't know anything about a previous thread, even if I posted in it. Don't remember =P

kurai
07-01-06, 03:04
Silent Hunter has a scope that will reach beyond visible range (not sure how scope mods work now, since I haven't used one in evo 2.1).No it won't, and never did.

jini
07-01-06, 08:13
Here we go again... this starts to remind me of ppu nerf threads...
Rifles do more damage but also require more skill and they give you the ability to snipe. Also you get more variety with rifles

suler
07-01-06, 09:18
The epic tangent pistols range can pick stuff off almost at visible distance, if you want to bring up range. There really is no plus to using rifles just minus'.

J J
07-01-06, 13:02
No there is absolutely no point in being a rifler. Full stop. I have played a rifle spy for nearly 3 years now and I love it but even I'm on the point of lomming to pistols.

They have a slower rate of fire, you run slower with them drawn, they're heavier. The one advantage should be that you have an increased range but as has been said the current distance that mobs/runners become visible to you is inside most pistols range.

I've spent many an op fight sniping from a distance and you're basically moving your reticule over a blank screen waiting for a hit box to appear from nothing. You can shoot beyond the visible limit of fog but it's not exactly anyone's idea of fun. This has recently been made worse by the new weather effects, if you're in a zone and it starts snowing you can forget seeing anyone more than about 20 feet away.

It is seriously retarded, I mean why would anyone think its a good idea to reduce the distance you can see artificially by saying it's 'foggy'?? It's not due to fps issues or anything like that because in some zones you can see a good deal further than in others. But it's so frustrating to be a rifler atm when the one advantage you are supposed to have gets eliminated by KK.

This is seriously my biggest gripe with the game atm, I can put up with most of the bugs, the fact that noone fights without a PPU strapped to them, and even the fact that some people seem to think they have 'leet skills' because they camp a zone line and gank everyone who walks through lol but seriously KK, please please in the next patch remove the distance limiting weather effects and maybe if it's feasible increase the draw distance. Don't know how much work this would involve but it really needs doing.

Dribble Joy
07-01-06, 13:05
Rifles do more damage
What?

but also require more skill
Rifles have a higher recticle speed so... what?

Also you get more variety with rifles
O_o

Skusty
07-01-06, 13:28
The new silenthunter is sexy!

The new HL / Dissie looks like a pistol ffs! Change the moddel NOW!

jini
07-01-06, 15:41
What?

Rifles have a higher recticle speed so... what?

O_o
what what DJ?
whats it that you dont understand?

Dogface
07-01-06, 16:25
Look, this isn't *meant* to be another nerf pistols buff rifles thread, none of the other threads actually give the information I want, this thread is doing so.
I actually am wondering the given question, not trying to hint at a change.

Thanks. Keep going :p

Genji
07-01-06, 16:42
The fact of the matter is rifles are much easier to shoot at range, yes pistols have to much range but not to an extent that would be able to snipe a player. And dont bring up the tanget pistol because it's a pile of crap.
Pistols do need there max range nerfed a little but it wont really make a difference. IF the range was nerfed kk would probebly screw up mid range aiming which is fine as it is.

And as much as people say this and that the HL will always (kk will never fix it) be able to do what it does, which no pistol can do. Give the sniper on the hill the chance to kill you before you even notice your missing health.

BTW the TSU rifle is overpowered for it's TL, nothing else. people like to make it sound like it's god's weapon or some shit.

pabz
07-01-06, 16:49
i like the ability to run with pistols ;P

Dogface
07-01-06, 19:40
hmm I dunno, it doesn't beat having to reload 3 times to get some bullets into my rifle =)

Matthew.v.smith
08-01-06, 14:06
Pistol's require more shot's on Target than Rifles as far as I can tell.

ok my Judge, 1 shot does 37 dmg.
take 1 burst from the FL and see the damage, 4 bursts as opposed to 2 and if they all hit they can do something like 70, the tradeoff for this is a rather poor aim and slow reticule, but if you can aim it well, a guy with a judge will most likely fall before he kills the guy with the FL, it's about Tactics again, just check out Spearhead and his skillz with Rifles.
Slasher is an exception since it fires so freaking fast, but again you need to make more hit's count to cause really nasty damage, yet compared to the Disruptor, it's slower but seem's to really cause heavy damage in just a few targetted shots, I remember at first he used to be able to pwn me with his Disruptor without fail, and that was when I took him on Pistol vs Rifle, he never seemed to miss and I dropped in about 4 hits or so, again it's tradeoff is a slower run and worse aim than slasher, but more direct dmg.

I used to perform "ok" on my Rifle PE, it was all about getting those shot's to count, the libby when compared to the Pain Easer was obvious again, libby need's to make several hits in a row to actually get a damaging reaction, but the Pain Easer only need's to connect with about 2 full bursts to cause about 70 or more damage, more with DB.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

M.

eLcHi
08-01-06, 17:27
My Rifle-PE has a Quad as a essential part of his setup ... they get close, jump on it and run ;)

And yeah, MORE VISIBLE RANGE TBH !!!

LiL T
09-01-06, 00:50
Rifles are fine..

You move slower but you do great damage and there piss easy to aim imo.

Skusty
09-01-06, 02:28
With rifles you get more dmg for less ammo, and less dmg for less ammo for pistols.

So i prefer rifles for hunting or doing epics as regants or apu.

LiL T
09-01-06, 02:39
Well I'm better with pistols but some have said I'm not, Only reason I lommed back to pistol was because of how hard it is to hit a monk who is running around at full speed with instant aim. Rifles are still a great weapon in pvp and that TSU rifle really is a sweet one, never breaks almost as good as a Pain easer good for killing NPC's ifyou hunt a lot which I did when using it. PVP with rifles is different from pistols quite a lot, you have move around more I find or you will die. But if you can aim it and move around good you will beat most people at your level of skill, I think people who are complaining rifles are crap need to practise more..