PDA

View Full Version : Tanks restricted from hacknet?

Whitestuff
05-01-06, 23:01
Why? This must have happened when I was absent from NC. I just tried to take my buddy's MC Tank into hacknet to run around a bit and I can't? What's up with that? I heard there was a problem with tanks going in and killing people with melee weapons, but can't you just turn them off like you do everything else?

Banning tanks from Hacknet seems kind of sledgehammer-ish KK. I mean, they won't be good at it, but if a tank wants to go in hack net, why stop them?

IceStorm
05-01-06, 23:03
Why? This must have happened when I was absent from NC.You must've been absent since HackNet went into NC2. I think there was a brief period (maybe a month) where Tanks could access HackNet. For the vast majority of NC2, they haven't been able to.

The story reason is that Tanks are morons. The game reason is that ATH/AGL/resists "work" in HackNet.

Finl
05-01-06, 23:04
didnt know there was a problem like this - i was off for while tought. But hell - tanks are "dumm fighters" :D

Cadgar
05-01-06, 23:06
tanks are too dumb to hack something so they try it 2 or 3 times and then they destroy the term cause they are angry. thats why u dont see tanks in HN

Mr Kot
05-01-06, 23:55
I think there was a brief period (maybe a month) where Tanks could access HackNet.
You're thinking of Beta.

Tanks have never been able to access hacknet since the first day of NC2 retail. I should know because my tankie was Biotech when i transferred him over and i was drooling at the thought of having 4 chars with access to the hacknet goodies of 4 factions. I never did get to see Biotech hacknet :(

Because my tank had played around in hacknet in Beta (he was crahn then) i assumed at the start of retail that it was a bug and even made an ingame ticket about it. A GM confirmed my worst fears.

Melee has never been able to be used in hacknet, nor any other "real world" weapon. Not even in beta. The only technical way a tank "could" get into hacknet now - and i've seen it done - is if one hacks the 4th layer at an outpost and the system automatically warps you into the hacknet part of the outpost, without checking your class. There has never been anything to stop a tank hacking an OP, but it seems the safeguard was only applied to stop tanks hacking a GR. I dunno if this is intentional or not. I can't imagine tanks would be much use in there anyway.

ROZZER187
06-01-06, 01:25
tanks are too dumb to hack something so they try it 2 or 3 times and then they destroy the term cause they are angry. thats why u dont see tanks in HN

LOL its as good a reason as any

Whitestuff
06-01-06, 02:12
I should know because my tankie was Biotech when i transferred him over and i was drooling at the thought of having 4 chars with access to the hacknet goodies of 4 factions. I never did get to see Biotech hacknet :(

TBH, this is why I am upset cause I thought of changing my tank's faction and using him to get some goodies from another faction. Oh well, I will have to settle for the FSM only stuff I guess cause I'm still switching him.

And yeah, I canceled my account shortly after NC2 release to play City of Heroes (check my siggy ;) ). I never messed with hacknet at all, just heard things about it. I never actually logged into it until the 14 days of free play time :D.

Mr Kot
06-01-06, 03:28
You can still get goodies from another faction.

Just use your other non-tank chars and some codebreakers :)

ZoVoS
06-01-06, 05:10
but tanks are sexehest =[

my tank had 75 hack n i druged up n got buffed before i entered there

with my con setup and my agili/thletics he was superman in there runnin from one side of hn to thee other like the flash on speed

eLcHi
06-01-06, 09:41
Actually tanks could enter HN after NC2 release ... if they hacked an op and went into hacknet via the hackterm ... but that got fixed

IceStorm
06-01-06, 10:02
Melee has never been able to be used in hacknet, nor any other "real world" weapon. Not even in beta.It's not a weapon issue as much as it's a "move faster than anyone in HackNet issue and have uber con" issue, far as I can tell.

Superbron
06-01-06, 13:58
It's not a weapon issue as much as it's a "move faster than anyone in HackNet issue and have uber con" issue, far as I can tell.
I don't see the problem. Tanks are supposed to be damage-absorbers and fast.

Eddie
06-01-06, 15:39
I don't see the problem. Tanks are supposed to be damage-absorbers and fast.

But not in a "world" where the normal laws of physics don't apply...

To me, this seems like a rather cheap workaround to the problem that hacknet and reality share too much in common (runspeed, CON, etc. etc.) - and are just re-skins of each other.

Eddie

THE_TICK!!!!
06-01-06, 15:46
hmm i mean thats fine, but there intell is so low, could they even USE a decent HN item ?

ZoVoS
06-01-06, 15:50
only the ..05 stoof?