PDA

View Full Version : Okay, asking for a speck of advice

Heavyporker
05-01-06, 07:45
Simply going insane from lack of Neocron. I'm actually considering buying a cheapass computer to carry me over until a real solution comes up.

What do you think is the bare minimum cheapest computer out there that can handle neocron (no fucking pvp, let's be realistic here. Best I can hope on a crap computer is storekeeping and some light mob hunting).

I'm thinking maybe the Dell Dimension B110. About $600 and there's a deal now for a 17inch LCD monitor and 160 GB hard drive. Heck there's even a crappy vid card on it that might actually help.

eprodigy
05-01-06, 07:52
you could that or similar (to the B110 I see) cheaper, don't you already have a monitor ?

anyway.. pop a cheap video card (gf6200 or later budget card) in there and the thing is honestly more then good enough for a NC.. i've played effectively on a lot worse...

Aisynia
05-01-06, 08:11
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Agent L
05-01-06, 13:50
WTF is Dell Dimension o_O?

Here's my cheap ass computer specs:
- Athlon XP 2000+ (1666MHz)
- uber old VIA KT133- based motherboard (GIgabyte ZXE7)
- 512 MB of SDR ram
- ultimated NVidia FX5200 128MB

What'll I do to get minimal Cron computer:
- GF440MX (uber popular and cheap) - gfx doesn't matter.
- 512MB of ram (that's really minimum for cron) DDR400 is about same price as SDR133 this days, so only what mobo accepts matter.
- some AthlonXP - my 2000+ is fine, but slower would be fine too
- Mobo : hmm, that's a question. Basicaly anything that'll run decent AthlonXP is sufficent.
Obvious choice would be an ABIT NF7 as it's best socketA mobo out there, however it'll be priced acordingly, as NF7 fitted with best AthlonXP and ram easily outperforms cheap new systems.
Avoid ECS motherboards, they had a really bad early SocketA products, stick to well known brands as MSI(MicroStar), Abit, Gigabyte.

I hope that helps.

/edit uhm, after a second read it doesn't look too clear for someone not digging into hardware. OK, here's as short as possible:
Stick to computers based on AthlonXP processor.
I believe that nothing else will have comparable power/price ratio.

Bugs Gunny
05-01-06, 14:03
I have an old amd 1600+ with 256mb ram and a geforce2mx400 that runs the game fine for my driver/cst/tradeskilling.

I found that turning off the swapfile actualy helps with the memory leak.

Agent L
05-01-06, 14:11
haha, just realised, for 600$ you can build quite ok new system (without monitor, however)

RogerRamjet
05-01-06, 14:30
Yeh, the PC i play now was £500 exluding monitor (roughly $600, dont know current exhange rates). It runs NC fine, constant high FPS even at high number OP fights.

Only got half gig of ram though, i intend to buy another stick soon.

Kozmos
05-01-06, 16:06
Yeh, the PC i play now was £500 exluding monitor (roughly $600, dont know current exhange rates). It runs NC fine, constant high FPS even at high number OP fights.

Only got half gig of ram though, i intend to buy another stick soon.

*slaps some gaffer tape over rogers tash*

500 quids about $850 u tart :o now get that tape off :D

LTA
05-01-06, 17:30
i can play neocron fine on my dads system

Thats like a Duron processor, 512 mb ddr, gf 4 ti 4600 (prolly dirt cheap these days lol

I even play it pretty weel - the pvp on my celeron laptop :p

I used to play it on a Thuderbird 900 cpu before i upgraded so if your not pvping yu can get away with some really low cheap specs...

ZoVoS
05-01-06, 17:53
nc woks fine on a 1.6 just buy a mother borde than can handel sexeh memory and invest ur cash in memory. then when u get a new computer u can carry the memory over

Heavyporker
05-01-06, 18:32
This screen I'm on is like 15 inch CRT monitor. Frankly, I'd kill for a good 17inch LCD.

And I don't really have the time to put together a system. I don't have a Windows XP cd on hand (which is part of the problem - can't reinstall this damn system here without one, even though I've downloaded SP2 to have on hand for the wipe.) Not to mention the fresh subscription for antivirus software.

For something thats got it all bundled together PLUS a damn LCD, $600 isn't too bad. And btw, the Dell Dimension is a line of cheap computers on the dell.com site. It's a celeron shit, aye, but, one can't get everything for a little.

edit - good lord, these cyberpower computers are sexy!

RogerRamjet
05-01-06, 18:53
*slaps some gaffer tape over rogers tash*

500 quids about $850 u tart :o now get that tape off :D

Someones economy need some S|<i11s :D