PDA

View Full Version : Counterstrike and University quick question

nobby
03-01-06, 05:11
Hi, my Japanese friend at Uni wants to play CS with me, but he cannot due to firewall.

He can play Lan games well, so I was thinking.

Is there any programs that could trick counterstrike into thinking I'm a LAN user and connect to his games?

Kozmos
03-01-06, 06:15
Hi, my Japanese friend at Uni wants to play CS with me, but he cannot due to firewall.

Is there any programs that could trick counterstrike into thinking I'm a LAN user and connect to his games?

:lol:

He's gotta get his network admin to open the ports to let his CS connect to an outside server, or to let yours connect to their server

LuCiD
03-01-06, 06:39
Well, you could do some tunneling, but that would be complicated :D

Lodar
03-01-06, 16:30

Tricking your friends network setup into thinking you're part of the LAN would be incredibly difficult, if even possible at all (not to mention the legality of such an act) so your best bet would be asking the nice Network admin to open CS's ports. Some will, some won't. If the admin won't open the ports, you can pretty much forget about it.

nobby
03-01-06, 16:50
hmm yeah...

is tunneling illegal?

Mighty Max
03-01-06, 17:02
No, not illegal,

but it might disagree with a contract with the provider.

Conduit
03-01-06, 17:19
It's likely that tunneling will give you a pretty shitty ping too.
Ask the server admin to open the ports that CS uses.

nobby
03-01-06, 17:22
what tunneling programs have actually succeeded with getting past a smelly UNI firewall?

rob444
03-01-06, 21:41
Well I think you could use GIT for that (http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/)

There is another similar tool out there that is easier but I don't remember what it was called.

giga191
03-01-06, 23:38
or you could save your movements on a USB stick and then post it to him. Then he can make his move, save it, and then post it back etc

nobby
04-01-06, 00:05
Like a game of chess over the phone...

Though we'd disagree over the damage...

meh

suler
04-01-06, 01:41
Hamachi is a good program for tunneling besides GIT. Also CS is hard to tunnel because it requires ips to be on the same subnet for lan play.

LuCiD
04-01-06, 02:15
I imagine with tunneling he might as well just play on internet servers.

yavimaya
04-01-06, 02:45
~edit