PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card overheating.

Karandras
31-12-05, 22:44
My 256mb X800XT gets to around 80°C and then my computer restarts while playing neocron.

I can run games like counter strike source and farcry at 100% maximum settings with no problems at all.

It cools down really fast if I minimise NC, going from about 80 to about 60-65 in about 5-10 seconds (according to the catalyst control center)

It tends to only get so high that it causes my computer reboot in certain zones; in the cave by CRP, outside gravis swamp caves, in a rhino where the doom reapers/grim chasers etc are...

Any sugestions? (bearing in mind that i have a good cool system and everything has been dusted etc...)

Whitestuff
31-12-05, 23:16
I would try improving the cooling by getting an aftermarket fan system or switching to water for the video card only. My stock fan on my last card did something similar to this and I just grabbed an Arctic heat sink for it and it improved the cooling on it.

If getting a newer cooling system isn't appealing, try removing your current heat sink and re-applying some new arctic silver 5 to it. That may help as well.

It is also possible that the game itself maybe having trouble with your card and not related to heat at all.

kurai
31-12-05, 23:23
My 256mb X800XT gets to around 80°C ...

...bearing in mind that i have a good cool system and everything has been dusted etc...Those two statements don't really go together ;)

If a device really is getting that hot (and the fact it causes a system reboot suggests it *is* overheating, even if that value is something of an over-reading) then something has gone badly wrong with the cooling setup.

Check that the GFX card fan spins, that the heatsink is firmly attached and has good contact with the GPU face, and that it has good flow of cool air around it (i.e. that it's unobstructed, and is not in the path of hot exhaust air from a cpu/chipset/psu fan)

Karandras
01-01-06, 00:07
My cooling system is infact decent, but it's only in neocron that i have any problems.

I played 6 hours of farcry today, at max settings. No problems.

I played 20 mins of NC, and it rebooted :/.

Terayon
01-01-06, 00:54
I dont think its your GPU, i think its your CPU. Try monitoring that.

giga191
01-01-06, 00:58
My cooling system is infact decent, but it's only in neocron that i have any problems.

I played 20 mins of NC, and it rebooted :/. divine intervention, someone doesn't want you playing NC.

kurai
01-01-06, 03:14

That implies it's a software rather than hardware issue.

The CPU & GPU will be ramped up to max speed in both cases - once you are at 100% NC can't magically pull 110% from them.

Scanner Darkly
01-01-06, 11:43
Also check your RAM temperature, if you have a temperature probe that is, or some other safe way of checking temperature. My water cooled system had this problem when running running two sticks of 512Mb RAM (in dual channel mode), with not enough air getting over the RAM.

However, as others said, this would not be an issue unique to only one game, Neocron.

edit: if your you do decide to watercool just your graphics card, I would go for something like the Zalman Resorator, as it will keep it very cool and more importantly do it silently. The damn thing does take up a bit of space tho, but it does look like some kind of futuristic skyscraper or space robot, so it's not so bad.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/watercooling.php#reserator1plus

Karandras
01-01-06, 15:11
right, when it reboots itself, I go straight to bios and cpu is at 27°C... so it doesnt look like that, memory is a possibility, but the rate that my gpu heats up with NC open, and the rate it cools without it.. makes me think gpu.

i have heard that NC is more of a cpu/ram demanding game than the newer games which are more graphics card powered, so that could explain why its just for nc that i have problems if its the memory.

just fyi, i have 2x512 GeiL PC4000, and an AMD athlon64 3000+

fsb=200mHz

Terayon
01-01-06, 15:14
My ati card overheats constantly and i have yet to have it cause a system reset. It usaly makes my screen go black until the clocks reset, then it starts working again. Or it will just make the screen go black and ill need a restart. Then again out cards are way diffrent generations... but still.... just seems weird to me.

Satty
01-01-06, 15:17
I think u play with the D3D9 (DirectX-9) Render-Engine. Try to switch to the DirectX-7 Render-Engine (Launcher -> Configuration).

Only for testing... perhaps one of the new shader heat's ur ATI up.

Karandras
01-01-06, 15:22
happens with both :/

[TgR]KILLER
01-01-06, 15:28
i think it has to do with software.. or the driver version. try change that.

or maybe the sensor ( how you say that ? :P ) is broken on the card and displays a way higher temp then it is ?

i dno but i got a geforce 6800 gt 256 megs of ram normal stock cooling and it can run nc for day a nights same with any other game like q4 or hl2

or maybe you got a faulty card and should go back to the shop with it.

if all else fails just buy a nvid card instead of ati junk :lol: :angel:

rob444
01-01-06, 15:36

I got that in Window mode with my X800 XT PE card, it goes black. I probably have the same kind of error then :P. And I dont have overdrive enabled. Going to check temperature another day to make sure it's the same prob.

baconops
01-01-06, 18:40
I got the exact same thing when I got my new comppy. I added a new fan and it started working just fine :3

ZoVoS
01-01-06, 19:00
i have a huge home fan poiting at my pc =] keeps my graphics card cool

Scanner Darkly
01-01-06, 19:14
The reason why I said it may be the RAM causing the resets, is that in most cases there are no fans running air directly over the RAM sticks. There are usually intake fans at the bottom of the case and exhaust fans at the back/top. The RAM usually sits near the top of the case where it has no adequate cooling when it's under full load - such as running NC. I had this same problem and sorted it by sticking a pair of old 486 CPU heatsinks over the tops of the RAM (covered in those shiny metal ramsinks), forming a kind of bridge, and then having a low rpm fan blowing over that. Just having some direct airflow over your pair of Geils (I'm guessing PC4000 RAM will get even hotter than my PC3200) might be worth trying out.

As someone else mentioned, graphics cards usually start to give a distorted image (artifacts, shimmering and such) when they start to overheat, if you're not getting that (a few minutes) before these resets, this again helps to eliminate the graph card from the list of likely suspects. Even though the GPU chips are designed to run at higher temps than say your regular CPU, 80 degrees C seems a little high, so that's another thing you should sort out as well...

ZoVoS
01-01-06, 19:16
=\ my graphics card only shuts its self down to prevent damage at 145°C

Karandras
01-01-06, 20:02
=\ my graphics card only shuts its self down to prevent damage at 145°C
8| 8| 8|

And too Scanner Darkly, the resets are very sudden, no warning at all. I have re-arranged a few things in my case, as there was alot of wires going from the psu to the drives, graphics card, fans etc covering the memory, but the airflow is much better now. I have put an extra 120mm fan in blowing air over the memory, and they have decent heat spreaders, hopefully this will solve my problem :D but thats yet too see...

LuCiD
01-01-06, 22:04
I don't know but I got radeon some time back that had a piece of paper between the graphics core and the heatsink...freaked me the fuck out, so I put some AS5 in it and all of a sudden it was 30 degrees cooler. Might want to refit the heatsink with some decent thermal compound anyway, can't hurt.

giga191
02-01-06, 02:32
I don't know but I got radeon some time back that had a piece of paper between the graphics core and the heatsink...freaked me the fuck out, so I put some AS5 in it and all of a sudden it was 30 degrees cooler. Might want to refit the heatsink with some decent thermal compound anyway, can't hurt. that reminds me of when i forgot to take the blue plastic stuff off the bottom of my heatsink for a few months. was rather burnt by the time i found it

MortuusLupus
03-01-06, 07:55
I had the side off my case one time, was fiddling, then left the room to go pee. Came back and saw my cat inside, sniffing around. Everything went into slow motion, I screamed "Nooooooooo!" and she bit into my video card.

She's ok, got a little spooked from the shock, but my card was broked. Thankfully I could get it RMAed, so it was no big loss. She doesn't go poking around in my computer anymore.

Oh, and so I'm on topic, water cool that suckah!

//edit for spelling 'cause I'm not good at that

Karandras
03-01-06, 12:41
dumb cat :lol: