PDA

View Full Version : New hard-drive

giga191
29-12-05, 12:32
Bought a new S-ATA HD that I want to replace my old ATA HD with. I've connected it etc (still have my old one connected as it was). Could I copy all my data (including operating system) directly from one harddrive to another so that they have identical content? Also, windows has recognised that the SATA HD is connected but it's not showing up in My Computer which I was hoping it would. I'm not really familiar with the process of setting up a secondary HD so could someone tell me what I need to do?

Bloom
29-12-05, 12:59
You can't just copy ur old HDD to new one. You will need to install OS again and all drivers/software you will want to have on new HDD. Pictures, documents etc. you can copy from ur old HDD.

You need to check in BIOS and set there your new HDD. Check jumpers on HDD/CD/DVD too (if they are setted to primary/secondary master/slave).

darkservent
29-12-05, 13:29
You can't just copy ur old HDD to new one. You will need to install OS again and all drivers/software you will want to have on new HDD. Pictures, documents etc. you can copy from ur old HDD.

You need to check in BIOS and set there your new HDD. Check jumpers on HDD/CD/DVD too (if they are setted to primary/secondary master/slave).

Yes his right, You should get some option to set up the SATA drive on bootup. Usually you can clone Hard drive to Hard drive but I dont know how it is with ATA to SATA. Install the OS on the SATA (keep the ATA disconnected) with the driver disk in and press f6 on the windows installation startup. Thats where you will need to specify the location of the drivers. After that its the normal procedure.

Then connect the ATA on slave and make sure the boot sequence in the BIOS is FLOPPY, CDROM, SCSI last instead of Hard drive. then copy over the files to the new hdd. You can try to clone with Norton Ghost but Im not sure if itll work.

aquacoder
29-12-05, 13:37
It's possible to clone the hard disc from the old one to the new with software like ghost (Symantec) or other poducts. It is very fast process, much faster than copying files by hand.
But me, personally, had a problem with starting the XP from the new drive after clonning. System booted from the new drive perfectly, as it seems, but found the "real old system" on the still connected old drive.... After removing the old drive from the system... XP booted to a certain point before it usually asks about the login information and hung on it.
The reason for this is probably that system do not store the path information to the certain XP data/drivers/whatever but some path including the serial of the drive or something. In my case i had to reinstall windows, but the non windows data was very fast copied with the clonning software.
So i would suggest some cloning software like ghost, drive image (i think both are the same now). You could also search for ultimate boot cd on the net. It contains many free software i hope also free cloning tools.

Preach
29-12-05, 13:42
if your new drive is going to be your main anyway which it should be then its better to install fresh anyway to getter a better performance. Just set the old one to secondary and move over your personnal shit afterwards. Then wipe your original drive

Agent L
29-12-05, 15:06
1) right-click "my computer" (true my computer, not a shortcut to my computer)

2) choose "manage"

3) in "Computer Management" window that opens choose "Storage"/"Disk Management" from the tree at left side

You are in disk manager now, you have graphical list of all physical HDDs at the bottom part. From here you can create (and delete!!!!) partitions on the HDD, assign them a drive letters and format them.
System deals with formatted partitions, not physical HDDs, so I'd recommend that you create 1 primary partition to cover whole HHD and format it with NTFS file system.

Installing new system from scratch is very good idea, and I'm doing it every few months, new HDD is perfect opportunity to do it right and have everything in system brand-new.

If you don't want to remove old HDD and keep your old system, there is no reason against leaving it on old HDD. Just create partition on new HDD, format it and enjoy new space for your pr0n.

giga191
29-12-05, 18:58
After a lot of fucking about I can finally see the SATA HD on my computer. The reason why I'm doing this is because I want to use my old HD in a computer that I'm putting together out of old parts and I would rather have the SATA one in my good PC. When I boot from the windows CD with the SATA HD blank I get to the blue sceen where you format the drive and windows copies files to the HD. Then it says that you have to reboot to continue. It then tries to install windows but says that there alrdy is a windows folder....hmm well obviously because it just made it itself before it made me reboot 0o. It's a circle of fun

Agent L
31-12-05, 00:30
hmm, once you install from CD, you no longer boot from the CD, just let the timeout elapse and continue booting from just installed win on hdd.

And make absolutelly sure you've made it as Darkservant wrote. Otherwise you may get system unbootable without old disk or other weird shit.

giga191
31-12-05, 01:28
hmm i think i did something strange to my ATA HD. I've got new PC working etc but everytime i boot it asks me which of 2 OSs i want to run. Before I installed my OS I tried to format this HD a few times while it was running as a secondary HD in another PC but it said it couldn't complete it. It's still fully functional providing that I chose the right OS at the start but it's quite annoying to have to do it everytime I boot.

IceStorm
31-12-05, 02:20
Is the existing ATA disk in the machine with the SATA disk?

Sounds like Windows just installed a second copy of itself on the SATA disk but left the boot files on the ATA disk.

What kind of computer do you have? If you're using an Intel-based system with an Intel chipset, Norton Ghost should be able to clone the existing Windows install to the new drive and it should just work.

giga191
31-12-05, 11:07
the ATA is on it's own connected to a dell mobo with an intel chipset

Bugs Gunny
31-12-05, 12:21
When you install windows choose to remove the partition of the sata drive, then reformat in the same menu.
Should clear things up nicely.

giga191
31-12-05, 12:46
Sorry i know this thread is a bit confusing but this is where I am at now:

The SATA drive is now in my primary PC and is working properly

The ATA drive is in a PC that I've decided to make out of spare parts

I tried putting the ATA drive in the SATA PC to format it but it said at the end that it couldn't complete it. I then manually deleted all the files on the ATA drive including windows folder. I then unplugged the SATA HD and set the ATA one as the primary HD in my primary PC. I installed windows on it and then put it in my PC that is made of spare parts. But now the PC made of spares asks me which OS I want to use every time I boot up which I find annoying. Can I make the PC boot automatically to the right OS everytime somehow?

aquacoder
31-12-05, 13:15
Just edit boot.ini file in the c:\. Here is a short doc.Don't forget to backup the original file before you edit it.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B289022&x=12&y=14

giga191
31-12-05, 15:41
w00t that worked cheers

Agent L
31-12-05, 15:45
It's generally bad idea to run windows on different computer then it was installed on.

giga191
31-12-05, 16:03
anyone know a big codec pack that i can DL since i can't watch various clips on my PC

aquacoder
31-12-05, 17:12
Just look on this site: http://www.doom9.org/
Usually they got everything you need.