PDA

View Full Version : Scamming solution

cRazy-
27-12-05, 08:56
So if the hardcore cyberpunk badass's want scammers, surely we should have some authority against them?

How about a NCPD negative soulight type system, if a tradeskiller logs a Runner can add the name of the person in the citycom and the tradeskiller appears in a list for one hour, but if 3 seperate people eventually report the same person he is perminently added to a bigger list of scamming tradeskillers.

Its only fair, and realistic.

xyl_az
27-12-05, 08:58
...and pointless

and open to abuse...

cRazy-
27-12-05, 09:05
Its not pointless,

It stops other people being scammed. People could then read a list of known scammers and criminals.

rob444
27-12-05, 10:54
Well this wouldn't be open to abuse if they can only add a runner that has logged on them, but programming that is tricky indeed heh.

Foo
27-12-05, 11:42
Logs on 1 char add's name , logs on 2nd char add's same name , logs on 3rd char add's name , logs on 4th char add's name , says on clan chat " add xxxxx to shit list cause i hate him not cause he stole from me" , Clanie1 logs on 1st char add's name , clanie1 logs on 2nd char add's name , clanie1 logs on 3rd char add's name , clanie1 logs on 4th char add's name... see where im going here ?

rob444
27-12-05, 11:48
Logs on 1 char add's name , logs on 2nd char add's same name , logs on 3rd char add's name , logs on 4th char add's name , says on clan chat " add xxxxx to shit list cause i hate him not cause he stole from me" , Clanie1 logs on 1st char add's name , clanie1 logs on 2nd char add's name , clanie1 logs on 3rd char add's name , clanie1 logs on 4th char add's name... see where im going here ?

I think crazy's idea was that you could only add people that actually logged off on you after you traded your uber 5 slotted anti-crash sanctum. (stupid to trade something before you get the item you trade for, but you get the idea..)

Foo
27-12-05, 11:51
Yes but how does the system know he/she/they/thing did scam you ?
ppl could just add players they hate etc "I dont like xxx so im gonna add that runner and say he scammed me so ppl dont deal with him"

Spermy
27-12-05, 12:43
Right - I think "X" is a cock, "Y" beat me in pvp yesterday, so I'll add all his alts... hrrm, who else can I make today a misery for...?

People like this would love it as is. This system would usually be out-performed by word of mouth. Usually when one person scams someone - the scam-ee stands around bitching for an hour or so on every channel anyway.

If the system could be a bit more relevant and less open to abuse I don't see why not - I can't imaine it being any more useful than just asking around, but it'd be a good option to have for discrete enquiries.

Nice idea, shame about the limitations.

50/50

Riddle
27-12-05, 12:51
There are scammers, genrep campers, SI killers, Team Player gankers, allied gankers etc. etc.

WELCOME TO NEOCRON

We cannot ask KK to put a system in place to prevent every single thing that pisses a runner off. Otherwise it wouldn't be Neocron.

Now before the flames begin, I run a reputable tradeskilling service and NO i don't condone scamming ;)

rob444
27-12-05, 12:55
Well if you want your buddies to add the player that scammed you, the scammer needed to have scammed them as well, so you can't tell your friends to add him to the list so he'll get on top of the list.

And about how the system knows that you just got scammed, it can't :P, well it can with some serious thinking but it's really advanced.

//Bad
You trade an item with John Doe.
John Doe crashes and gets logged out after 30 seconds.
Server automatically gives John Doe the scammer flag.
John Doe can be added to the scammer list - but only by you.
John Doe wanted to make a real trade, but life sucks.

//Bad
John Doe crashes and gets logged out after 30 seconds.
Server automatically gives John Doe the scammer flag.
John Doe logs back in and trades with you, you don't trade anything back and you get scammer flagged as well.

//Bad
John Doe decides to run away and zone or just go afk for a few hours.
Server can not check wether John Doe scammed or actually made a legit trade - indeed he scammed.

//Bad
You give your friend a psi booster 3.
Your friend logs off.
Server flag's your friend's character - sure, only you can add him but he is still flagged.

There are a lot more scenarios than these, the scenarios' above and those that aren't mentioned are called _bugs_.

I don't know how they would implent a system like this really, but as I see it they don't need to, no one trades items between eachother without trading the items at the same time.

But let's say you give a guy in plaza 1 an unidentified low tech part to get it researched.
He logs off or goes afk, how would the system identify this as scamming if it as well just could be a legit trade?

No idea, a bit AI programming is involved indeed and only a human brain can really tell if it's scamming or not.

If they changed the entire trading system it would be possible however.

I hope you get my point :P.

John Wu
27-12-05, 13:03
There are scammers, genrep campers, SI killers, Team Player gankers, allied gankers etc. etc.

genrep campers: they kill you - you kill them
SI killers: they kill you - you kill them
Team Player gankers: they kill you - you kill them
allied gankers: they kill you - you kill them

scammers: they take something very valuable from you - you kill them, which costs 6k for genrep + imp costs + you might hack a stam booster from their belt

see the difference?

Riddle
27-12-05, 13:04
If they changed the entire trading system it would be possible however.

Not gonna happen really is it?

As for scams you just got to be on your toes get to know people and remember the known scammers!

Your solution above only allows for the log off trade or afk etc etc.
not the, I swop your unressed rare for one I have 10 of, or the i'll pay 200k then knock a zero of at trade, or here have a DS chip for 15mil only to find you have bought a random PSI chip worth 30k.

There are so many scam methods safeguarding against them all is impossible and why do we need to?

Riddle
27-12-05, 13:11

You may lose a higher item than them in belt

You may lose a higher item than them in belt

Seriously? They kill you at No SL loss, you come back try to kill them at MAX sl loss? :lol: If they are real asses they will let you kill one of them (rezzed later) you take MAX SL hit then gank your ass for the 6 items in your belt

You may lose a higher item than them in belt and by this point you have done a lot of killing l33t player you ;)

scammers: they take something very valuable from you - you kill them, which costs 6k for genrep + imp costs + you might hack a stam booster from their belt

See the difference?

No i don't.
The risk is there in trade as it is in PvP.

*oops double post sry

John Wu
27-12-05, 13:17
yes you MAY lose a higher item than they. but they MAY lose a higher item than you TOO. sounds fair to me.

with a scammer you DEFINITELY lose something MUCH MORE expensive than they ever will.

Spermy
27-12-05, 13:19
yes you MAY lose a higher item than they. but they MAY lose a higher item than you TOO. sounds fair to me.

with a scammer you DEFINITELY lose something MUCH MORE expensive than they ever will.

Dignity?

The only way you get scammed is through your own stupidity - I'm sorry :p

John Wu
27-12-05, 13:23
so if you ask for someone who can repair your rare weapon, and after 3 hours of asking someone finally says 'yeah sure, lets meet in TH', and this guy is allied with you. is it stupid if you give him the weapon? do you only give stuff to people you know in real life?

edit: I usually dont give valuable stuff to people that I dont know for at least some time ingame, or one of my friends knows. but that means sometimes I have to wait for fucking DAYS until I get a job done. now that's fun.

Spermy
27-12-05, 13:42
Someone you know and trust ingame. Which to be honest is close to no-one. Roll a tradeskiller, or use the clans. There's no excuse for getting scammed, however way you slice it, it's always your decision in the end, and if you pick the wrong guy, then you can only blame yerself unfortunately... :(

John Wu
27-12-05, 13:49
rolling a tradeskiller would mean paying for another account on my server.

and there is not always a tradeskiller on from the guys/clans you know, with the low player base that we have. so this effectively means you HAVE to wait for days in some cases, or you HAVE to take the risc of getting scammed.

someone who takes the risc is not stupid, he's just desperate.

this game is supposed to be fun, dont forget that. with 500+ ppl on a server there would be enough tradeskillers, and I would agree with you. with only 100 at times there's not, I'm afraid.

by the way, happy birthday :)

Spermy
27-12-05, 13:57
rolling a tradeskiller would mean paying for another account on my server.

and there is not always a tradeskiller on from the guys/clans you know, with the low player base that we have. so this effectively means you HAVE to wait for days in some cases, or you HAVE to take the risc of getting scammed.

someone who takes the risc is not stupid, he's just desperate.

this game is supposed to be fun, dont forget that. with 500+ ppl on a server there would be enough tradeskillers, and I would agree with you. with only 100 at times there's not, I'm afraid.

by the way, happy birthday :)

Heh - I am a little spoilt - we have two tradeskill style clans in the angels...

I'm still of the persuasion that nothing is ever worth the risk though, I have a spare if I can help it, or if it's rares I just have to wait :p no one gets my rares but a clannie.

I think it's a shame that people can be dicks, tres sucky.

And cheers dude :D

cRazy-
27-12-05, 17:32

see the difference?

Scammers: may and often have an LE in or never leave a safezone, this is my point, if you people whine about it being realistic and all this 'welcome to neocron' crap, then its perfectly fair to be able to have authority on the subject, we have the NCPD list for -SL runners, isnt scamming as just as big a crime as pk'ing if not worse?

Im not saying my idea is anywhere near perfect, but i'd like to see some better solutions.

onero S
27-12-05, 18:07
Someone you know and trust ingame. Which to be honest is close to no-one. Roll a tradeskiller, or use the clans. There's no excuse for getting scammed, however way you slice it, it's always your decision in the end, and if you pick the wrong guy, then you can only blame yerself unfortunately... :(

but spermy, that is shit for the econamy the game should promote free baised trading and such, not make people afraid to use anyone outside of their clan.

RusSki
27-12-05, 19:23
Hav i missed something?
Has there been a massive increase in ppl scamming other ppls items?
So many threads/posts on this matter at the moment.

I've never had uber or even none uber items stolen off me in all the time i've played.
Do you know why? Because i dont go handing over items to random ppl for modding or repairing, i dont trade with someone who is telling me they are "gonna have to relog to another char to get the item i want".
People who so blindly get conned like that are just dumb and if they're gonna let somone take advantage of them in a game that easily, I can only imagine that door to door salesmen have a field day with them IRL

Get ur own tradeskiller, use a clan m8 Or friend you trust.... even if it means waiting for them to come online.

Along time ago in the nc1 brainport there was a thread about tradeskiller id cards. It would show what tradeskills they are capable of and how high their skill lvls were. In addition it should show the alts that exist on that same account/server for that player. If ur an honest tradeskiller you shouldnt have to hide ur other alts names from ppl.
That could be handy to identifying real tradeskillers from ppl who just claim they are.
A system of positive and negative feedback that could show on the id card too would also be good, but prolly hard to add to the current system and very open to abuse.

It would be nice to have a 'not to be traded' item slot in the trade window much like many other mmo's, but we dont.
There is no replacement to being careful and picky with who you deal with and you can always find a trustworthy tradeskiller if u search.

Riddle
27-12-05, 19:34
Hav i missed something?
Has there been a massive increase in ppl scamming other ppls items?
So many threads/posts on this matter at the moment.

No more than there ever has been since NC1 just a few more whining bitches this time thats all :lol:

As for all the whinging, moaning etc. it won't get you anywhere never has got anyone anywhere.

The whole tradeskill system and trade need an overhaul to get rid of this issue and no i have NEVER said i agree with this shit but i also don't agree with all the whining i lost my shit boo hoo.

Lets be realistic an overhaul isn't going to happen in the near future so learn to live with your decisions in game after all it is just a fucking game.

hegemonic
27-12-05, 19:34
So if the hardcore cyberpunk badass's want scammers, surely we should have some authority against them?

How about a NCPD negative soulight type system, if a tradeskiller logs a Runner can add the name of the person in the citycom and the tradeskiller appears in a list for one hour, but if 3 seperate people eventually report the same person he is perminently added to a bigger list of scamming tradeskillers.

Its only fair, and realistic.
Easy to blackball other players with your own account.
Example:
If I were a twat and I got mad at you, I'd add your name to the list with one of my alts. Log off, log on another alt, add your name to list. Log off, log on another alt, add your name to list. Now your SL is affected for no good reason.

Instead, try the "name & shame" tactic on TRADE channels and in the ingame forums.

onero S
27-12-05, 19:37
Easy to blackball other players with your own account.
Example:
If I were a twat and I got mad at you, I'd add your name to the list with one of my alts. Log off, log on another alt, add your name to list. Log off, log on another alt, add your name to list. Now your SL is affected for no good reason.

Instead, try the "name & shame" tactic on TRADE channels and in the ingame forums.

then they'll try the "make another alt, it only takes 3 or 4 days if you're smart tactic.

RusSki
27-12-05, 19:42

Ya that always does the trick.
On the flip side what about a list of known trustworth tradeskillers. A closed thread on here that niddy could add tradeskillers names too upon request. So that new players if unsure of who to turn too can atleast note down a few names of ppl they can trust not to screw them over.

Lets face it if someone looking to scam ppl went to the hastle of getting a mod to add their name to a tradeskiller list on here...... well that would break new boundaries of sadness..... and deserve a right good old fashioned kicking!

hegemonic
27-12-05, 19:51
then they'll try the "make another alt, it only takes 3 or 4 days if you're smart tactic.
Well at least they'll have to make another alt then and the "named" scammer will be less likely to be successful again.

Fallen Angels on TERRA are very spoiled. We can fully trust the older FA clans (SSX , R2K , DoY , Phoenix) with our rares. Man I love the FA! :)