PDA

View Full Version : NC2.1 + latest catalyst drivers

rob444
26-12-05, 18:16
Hmm... I got serious problems with nc2.1. I can't run it in window mode for long.

After playing, maybe 20 minutes or so in window mode, the GFX card shuts down, if I'm lucky, ATI uses the VPU recovery and I get the screen back but in a weird resolution. So there is an issue with NC2.1 and latest catalyst drivers, at least on my gfx card (Radeon X800 XT PE). My GFX card is NOT damaged.

I've tried running the game in both DX versions but it hasn't solved my problem.

No hardware conflicts what so ever, if other games works and neocron doesn't, it's neocron. I also got this problem with Darwinia.

Anyone else experiencing a black screen after playing in window mode for a while? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Argent
26-12-05, 19:40
I also got this problem with Darwinia.

Anyone else experiencing a black screen after playing in window mode for a while? Any suggestions?

If you have the same problem with many games, it's obviously a hardware/driver problem. Have you tried downgrading your drivers? (I've heard some bad things about 5.12/5.13)

Get the Catalyst driver uninstaller from ATI's site, also grab 5.11 or similar set of drivers and then run the uninstaller, reboot and install the "new" drivers.

rob444
26-12-05, 19:53
I used to play with older drivers and I installed the latest drivers because of this reason. It's the way neocron handles the drivers somehow that fucks up the gfx card :/. No other game than nc and darwinia does this, and I got 58 games installed, new and old ones. Darwinia however doesn't give me a black screen anymore, it just starts lagging A LOT, and the VPU recovery program will pop up, neocron do give me a black screen still.

bluelights
26-12-05, 20:43
Hmm... I got serious problems with nc2.1. I can't run it in window mode for long.

After playing, maybe 20 minutes or so in window mode, the GFX card shuts down, if I'm lucky, ATI uses the VPU recovery and I get the screen back but in a weird resolution. So there is an issue with NC2.1 and latest catalyst drivers, at least on my gfx card (Radeon X800 XT PE). My GFX card is NOT damaged.

I've tried running the game in both DX versions but it hasn't solved my problem.

No hardware conflicts what so ever, if other games works and neocron doesn't, it's neocron. I also got this problem with Darwinia.

Thanks.

you say it happens in window mode,, does it happen in full screen mode too ?
you could also run a neocron file check, also try to roll back your GFX driver to quite a few versions below the current 513 catalyst, try 4.x

i have a Radeon 9800 running the latest 513 catalyst and all seems to be ok, but i cant test properley since click2gay are being .... Gay.

another thing,,, if you are running in window mode, close all other apps that are not needed, might also want to check for the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard

br

rob444
26-12-05, 21:49
This does not happen in fullscreen. I guess I could try updating my chipset drivers but I'm pretty sure it won't do any difference :P. File check turns out ok.

LuCiD
27-12-05, 02:43
Well I'm running the newest catalyst drivers on my 9600 aiw and it works perfectly. If you can call whatever its doing perfect, but at least it doesn't crash or lag the drivers.

rob444
27-12-05, 10:49
Well the most annoying thing about this is that this didn't happen in NC2, but it came with the Evo patch.

bluelights
27-12-05, 12:01
Well the most annoying thing about this is that this didn't happen in NC2, but it came with the Evo patch.

in that case,,, the only last suggestion i can really think of,, is uninstall neocron,,,, install the GFX drivers first,,, then re-install neocron from scratch

br

Argent
27-12-05, 13:32
And you could try reinstalling with the full 2.1-package, I hear it's much more problem free than the usual updates.

giga191
27-12-05, 14:15
Using ATI cards will void your computer warranty. Beware of ATI cards which fool you into thinking that they are nvidia.