PDA

View Full Version : So many monks?

turbineS-line
23-12-05, 11:40
Call me a bit slow. I've only recently given a shit about looking around at other player classes, and I'm starting to note. There are a shitload of monks.

Since there are so many loyal monk players, there is no use even starting to chant around gimping monks, considering it'll get completely destroyed by the "balance squad" of capped monk players.

However, everywhere I turn there are always a ton of monks. Always. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of ashamed to have made a monk, which I have now sitting in my character list. Another thing I don't completely understand is why Passive monk spells can be so completely effective. How is it, with my tank, that I'm running after an APU with a PPU, putting clips of my speed gat into it, and the PPU'd APU is not going down? I mean, sure, I could stand still, so could he, and the monk'd still outheal my damage.

I really find this a problem. I personally feel the passive monk, even with the taxing on casting on remote players, is still pretty (over?)powered.

I've been an off-and-on player since NC1, even then I had never capped a character, and I hardly payed much attention to much, but now that I'm seriously getting invloved, I'm wondering has there been many adjustments to monks in the past, or has NC always been this way? Aside from Player-vs-Player balancing, I'd hope that the powers that be could do a little character balancing, and make some of the other classes a bit more desirable.

Right now, I could never consider going anywhere, in the mood for pvp, without a PPU. Now, that is a serious problem in a game. Really, when you feel you are personally bound by a PPU to keep you alive in PVP areas, because you know there are a ton of PPU/APU monks running around just waiting to PK the hell out of you. Is this the desired design for Neocron, or is this expected to change? Was neocron designed for a single character class to be the alpha omega backbone of the game?

commerzgandalf
23-12-05, 12:28
somewhere a mod or a kk member wrote
we know the unbalnce betwenn wepaon and psi user
and we are working on a change

and hell jeah there is a shitload of monks
thats why i made spy pe and tank ^^

Riddle
23-12-05, 16:28
Welcome to MONK-O-Cron ....... Tank-O-Cron died many years ago...soon to be PE-O-Cron? or Spy-O-Cron? :lol:

xyl_az
23-12-05, 16:44
yes game is unbalanced as hell - unfortunately, nobody knows if KK is going to do anything about it. And it is like that for 2+years already, so most people think its a lost case...

Foo
23-12-05, 17:22
Sex monks ;) , never played them till i rolled my current one , and lol im quite enjoying them.

onero S
23-12-05, 20:26
mm, ppus are overpowered, but the general monk isn't too bad, an apu hybrid is fairly equil to a PE now that they fixed reload (Hl>pe weapsons but pe's get stealth)

sultana
24-12-05, 04:16
mm, ppus are overpowered, but the general monk isn't too bad, an apu hybrid is fairly equil to a PE now that they fixed reload (Hl>pe weapsons but pe's get stealth)
Yes and no, they didn't "fix" reload. They still nerfed all the reticle classes in comparison to the non-reticle ones. Not to mention the fact that the apu-hybrid already had an advantage over the PE/Whoever else.

unreal
24-12-05, 06:51
Yeah, PE's have to drug to be effective with their psi powers (if they're wearing PA of course, and unless they're a typical whore tsunami rifle PE, they should usually be wearing it), whereas APU hybrids can already cap the TL10 heal with the same amount of base PPU skills as a PE thanks to the bonuses from implants and get better % on the shelter/blessed deflector and don't need to drug to be able to cast them quicker than a PE. Apart from psi spells being overpowered even when nowhere near capped, that whole thing gives them a big advantage over PE's straight away.

Edit: A small nerf here could be making two versions of the psi-core, both with the same psi requirements, but have one for APU's and one for PPU's, perhaps 120 of each respective subskill being the checkpoint.

Zheo
24-12-05, 07:43
I'm running after an APU with a PPU, putting clips of my speed gat into it, and the PPU'd APU is not going down?irable.

PPU - Can only be killed by: A. 6 or so players joining together. B. APU.
APU - Easy to kill, easy to get killed by.

Combine them and you basically get: APPU, thusly unless you have another six people with you don't try taking them on. [ edited ]

However if you have to gang another player to kill them then either you have no skill in pvp, your character sucks or your fighting a ppu.

:)

Foo
24-12-05, 13:30
[ edited ]

Realy ?? , show or provide proof , cause quite frankly i have never seen any 1 do this . and if you could im sure it would of been stated by now.

RogerRamjet
24-12-05, 13:43
[ edited ]

Nidhogg
25-12-05, 01:57
Two people have been temp banned for discussing exploits (even old exploits) on this thread. Yeah, even on Christmas eve. Any more exploit posts will see the poster join them and the thread closed.

N

CMaster
25-12-05, 01:59
Two people have been temp banned for discussing exploits (even old exploits) on this thread. Yeah, even on Christmas eve. Any more exploit posts will see the poster join them and the thread closed.

N

Nothing wrong with our game! [Forbidden Wording] is simply not possible! Move along now!

And yeah, monks are quite popular at the moment, They are both rather powerful and also unlike anything else you are likley to have played - sure, they are a lot like wizards, but when was the lsat time you used anything like an APU in an FPS?

Zeninja
25-12-05, 05:30
but when was the lsat time you used anything like an APU in an FPS?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/The_soul_cube.png/256px-The_soul_cube.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Cube)

unreal
25-12-05, 05:44
heh, Doom ftw.

DIABLO666
13-01-06, 13:30
i like killing ppu's... they always think ur guna attack the dude they protecting so they heal him... then to late they realise they r on 40health and they die to my PoB BWHAHAHAHAHA. I managed to kill 6 ppu monks in 1 week at MB once

Dogface
19-01-06, 22:32
PPUs don't fear PoB.

SorkZmok
19-01-06, 23:08
i like killing ppu's... they always think ur guna attack the dude they protecting so they heal him... then to late they realise they r on 40health and they die to my PoB BWHAHAHAHAHA. I managed to kill 6 ppu monks in 1 week at MB onceI so doubt that. Can't imagine so many PPUs fatal when you're around. Cause that's the only way you could've killed one on your own with a POB. That or they all were insanely stupid, had zero por and no s/d running. :rolleyes:

canuma100
20-01-06, 00:13
i like killing ppu's... they always think ur guna attack the dude they protecting so they heal him... then to late they realise they r on 40health and they die to my PoB BWHAHAHAHAHA. I managed to kill 6 ppu monks in 1 week at MB once

stupid PPUs

Kame
20-01-06, 07:50
whereas APU hybrids can already cap the TL10 heal with the same amount of base PPU skills as a PE thanks to the bonuses from implants and get better % on the shelter/blessed deflector and don't need to drug to be able to cast them quicker than a PE.

I think that info is a bit misleading.

Hybrids actually get more % on PPU spells, even with the same PPU skill, simply because they have more PPW, and higher PSI lvs.

I think the minus from the PSI ATTAK chips is too low, because that when u use : MOVEON psi atck 3 psicore DS, you only get -10 PPU, since DS and psicore give + to both PPU and APU...

Discuss

unreal
20-01-06, 09:25
I think that info is a bit misleading.

Hybrids actually get more % on PPU spells, even with the same PPU skill, simply because they have more PPW, and higher PSI lvs.

I think the minus from the PSI ATTAK chips is too low, because that when u use : MOVEON psi atck 3 psicore DS, you only get -10 PPU, since DS and psicore give + to both PPU and APU...

DiscussUntil I read the third paragragh there I was about to write "An APU hybrid will usually use the psi attack 3 chip, which gives negative PPU skill, but the psi-core and such give PPU skill to even it back out." - what I said can be misleading depending on the setup you would have as an APU hybrid; but since most people reading this forum are experienced with classes and such to start with (and therefore know the typical APU hybrid will need the psi attack 3 chip for the extra bit of boost to damage), I didn't feel the need to state otherwise.

Paper Dragon
20-01-06, 15:33
And yeah, monks are quite popular at the moment, They are both rather powerful and also unlike anything else you are likley to have played - sure, they are a lot like wizards, but when was the lsat time you used anything like an APU in an FPS?

System Shock.

Psionics != Wizards.

Psionics are also quite a large part of Cyberpunk. Shadowrun, for example, and hell; even in Shadowrun there's magic around, so even the "wizards don't belong" thing is a bit flimsy.

CMaster
20-01-06, 15:36
Yeah, and monks in this game don't seem Psionic at all to me.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 15:49
Nope, stick that tl17 sword on their back, put them on a horse and let them ride into the castle :-)

The spells used in NC are so typical dungeons and dragons it's sad.

Paper Dragon
20-01-06, 15:51
Yeah, and monks in this game don't seem Psionic at all to me.

Once again, System Shock and Shadowrun. ;)

The psionics in Neocron keep with a similar style found in those two worlds.

Personally, anyone who keeps harping on about it being similar to DnD is just being petty, and really needs to find something else to focus on in their life.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 15:55
I know... someone is paying you to say good things about monks and all the stuff KK decides to implement/break.....

Paper Dragon
20-01-06, 15:56
I know... someone is paying you to say good things about monks and all the stuff KK decides to implement.....

Hmm? No.

I'm just commenting on the people that insist on comparing psionics to wizardry. How is that defending Monks in terms of power and balance?

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 16:02
Paper Dragon, i'll bet you money that the day KK screws up a patch where we all turn into the skins of foods, our guns all get turned into wirejunk and guards randomly attack people, you'll be there saying :

"Wow, i realy like the way KK put some clothing diversity in the game. The weapons are finaly all ballanced and hey, those new guards rock. We can now fight the guards without having to go after each other"

Paper Dragon
20-01-06, 16:06
Paper Dragon, i'll bet you money that the day KK screws up a patch where we all turn into the skins of foods, our guns all get turned into wirejunk and guards randomly attack people, you'll be there saying :

"Wow, i realy like the way KK put some clothing diversity in the game. The weapons are finaly all ballanced and hey, those new guards rock. We can now fight the guards without having to go after each other"

And hey, I bet one day people who keep whining about the game will actually leave. ;)

Not tearing Reakktor down at every turn doesn't mean I'm defending every one of their actions.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 16:15
You know what, they do indeed. Every day.
Remember the numbers on Saturn?

EVO gave the server a bit of breathing air again with a whopping 70 players extra online.....

The server is just barely alive at 300, it should have 500+ to be a living world.

Kame
20-01-06, 21:08
System Shock and Shadowrun. ;)

The psionics in Neocron keep with a similar style found in those two worlds.

Well As i remember it(and I have a v good memery for someone that smokes as much weed) the game Shadowrun wich i played, finished, and loved on sega genesis, even on snes, had PSI looking and feeling a bit odd.
Course you could be a wizerd if u wanted but still, they sucked.
Nothing was better then guns.

Now guns are a fucking joke.This whole shit isnt going anywhere the guns are only in NC to make it look pretty.

Clobber
20-01-06, 22:02
And hey, I bet one day people who keep whining about the game will actually leave. ;)

Not tearing Reakktor down at every turn doesn't mean I'm defending every one of their actions.

They already are paper dragon. Populations are falling and I dont know if you noticed this all the large clans are dead or dying. Its post Neptune all over again, KK come up with something to get a few people back, most of em left again along with a good few others.