View Full Version : A little confusion

Bobbajob
20-12-05, 12:31
Well, call me dumb - but i've been a little confused by a few things I've read on the forums...

First off I love NC already (after just a few hours of playtime) and I'd love to continue a subscription with it.

However.... I understand that I'll get charged for the game as WELL as a monthly fee if I decide to continue beyond my trial. Is this true?

If it is, it's kinda lame, considering I'm already willing to pay them a monthly fee for it. I already have the full client, why should I pay full retail price for it? (I won't physically own anything for my money anyway). It's december and I can't even afford to fork out another £30 for something I already have.

Any help in clearing this up would be greatly appreciated. I'm not dumb, just a little confused on the matter.

Thanks

Preach
20-12-05, 12:35
nah thats bollocks. The client is free, monthly subscription only

Bobbajob
20-12-05, 12:36
ah... great news :)

many thanks

cMz
20-12-05, 12:47
What you have to pay is this:
- Download the client - free
- 10 first days - free
- On day 11 you pay for the game, which is about 30$ I think, and you get 18 more days to play
- After 28 days, you pay the monthly subscription.

So you pay about 30$ for the first month that you play, and then you pay the subscription for the next months.

Bobbajob
20-12-05, 13:34
so, in actual fact, I am paying practically retail price for the game.

Rip-off...

I read the small-print on the terms/conditions and it doesnt mention this. it just says after your trial "certain fees apply".

I think perhaps this should be labelled slightly more clearly.

When you sign up it gives you the impression you'll only be playing a monthly fee after your trial.

Is that misleading or is it just me?

thanks for the info though

Nidhogg
20-12-05, 13:42
The client is not free (as you rightly surmise) and the price of the client is clearly stated in the online signup and isn't hidden under "certain fees". Paying for the game up front and then continuing monthly fees is the norm for MMORPGs.

/edit - here's the text from the online signup. The part in bold is also in bold in the signup process:
Should you decide to cancel your account before the 10-day-trial-period is over, there will occur NO COSTS AT ALL for you. After the trial period is over we will bill you for the game. (€25.82)
N

P.S. At today's exchange rate that makes the client £17.49, which is not nearly as bad as the £30 originally thought. ;)

RusSki
20-12-05, 14:02
Its basically a licencing fee for the client software. It may feel alittle harsh as u dont actually have anything like a box/cds/manuals to show for it, but at the end of the day it is a once only payment and well worth it if you enjoy the game.

I think you should stay...... go on please :angel:

Bobbajob
20-12-05, 14:13
Don't worry about that.. I will stay ;)

But thanks for clearing that up for me, Nidhogg. I just didn't recall seeing anything in the signup process (probably a little too excited i guess).

Actually I just found the boxed version on www.Blahdvd.com for £9.99!

Preach
20-12-05, 14:21
really dont ever recall paying for the client... is it because ive had it since the old days

Foo
20-12-05, 14:23
Its not a rip off , you WOULD have to pay for the box if you brought it from a shop so whats the diferance ?

Riddle
20-12-05, 14:24
:confused:
really dont ever recall paying for the client... is it because ive had it since the old days

What old days? Everyone payed to upgrade from NC1 to 2 or since then payed for NC2 or 2.1.

Its not a rip off , you WOULD have to pay for the box if you brought it from a shop so whats the diferance ?

Exactly :D

Preach
20-12-05, 14:26
:lol: must just be my memory... i apologise for the extra confusion i have caused

Bobbajob
20-12-05, 14:30

The difference is, when you play the trial you already HAVE the software on your PC. For games like Anarchy Online you can just d/l the client and pay a monthly fee. Same with several others.

Buying the boxed version ISNT a rip-off. Because then you have the game/box/manual etc. I was referring to paying for something you already have (i.e the client).

Anyway, we've already established that im going to buy it.... ;)

See you on there!