PDA

View Full Version : NC 2.2 Hopes & Dreams

-FN-
16-12-05, 22:35
This a partial repost of NC 2.1 Hopes & Dreams (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=129416) with a bunch of changes.

Things (in no particular order) that still drive me nuts in NC and make me want to quit at times:

### Make Plaza 1 & DoY City Center Anarchy Zones Again ###

The zoneline fighting is pathetic. The P1/P2 zoneline is *exactly* the same as the old NC1 P3/PP1 bullshit. End it and kill the safezones. In my opinion, the ONLY safezones should be Faction HQs and Tech Haven Sec-2. MB's safe zone should be their HQ, not SEC-1, and any zoneline between a safezone and a non-safezone should have slow-opening double doors on the NON-safezone side. It's just COMMON SENSE from a design standpoint. You're stuck with the limitations of a zone-based world - at least DESIGN it that way.

### Once Those Aren't Safezones - Give Tradeskillers a REAL Home ###

Now to replace the beloved Tradeskill zones, create Tradeskill Centers in both NC and DoY. Give them the Vendors tradeskillers need, booths that players can get accustomed to using, and create a generally nice atmosphere for people to trade and socialize in. We're never getting Playershops, so the least we could get could be a zone with built-in booths that people could treat like their own shops - and I'm not talking about that shitty Tech Haven Sec-2 setup - I'm talking more like the Stores on the Skywalk level of Plaza 1. Almost like office cubicles with a GoGo, a shop table, and then a plant or something to make the cubicle unique.

### The Pile-of-Crap Buddylist Function ###

Simply put, it's useless and it's a pile of shit. Take this crappy function out and replace it with a REAL Friend/Buddy System! Please! For the love of all that is holy, fix it! The in-game buddy system should include:

- Buddy List Management: You can request to add people and remove people from your list. Asking permission should be required.
- Buddy List Notification: Give me a system message when a Buddy/Friend signs on/off. Ideally give each Buddy a checkbox options of "Notify".
- REMOVE Buddy Chat - Talking to a hardly-managable list of people you have added over the months, with none of them having a clue who you're talking to, is plain stupid. Top it off with the fact that some noob could've added you to their Buddy list and you didn't know it - now it's REALLY random.
- Add the option to "Import Clan into Buddy List" so that you can get online/offline notifications of your clan members as well - OR simply add this to the Clan Options.

Fix the Buddy List or remove it. In it's current state, it's a huge annoyance in my opinion. It's been muted since Day 1 because I hate getting half a conversation from someone I may or may not know that may or may not be directed towards me.

### Stop Wasting Money on Neptune ###

KK, you employ GMs on that server. You pay for the hosting, the bandwidth, the maintenance, the hardware... Why are you throwing your money away? Mercury at least spikes at 10% or so during peak times - I can see a reason to keep that one around for now. Can't we just admit Neptune is a failed endeavor, save what you can, and move on? Not sure how the servers are setup, but if they're clustered, redirect some Neptune resources to the other servers maybe? Or open up a few new zones on the remaining three servers? I'm just sure there can be SOME sort of actual usage for the Neptune Server's hardware & resources!

How about turning Neptune into a 1-Slot "Free" Server where anyone can play... however the only zones that exist are Viarosso, Plaza, Pepper Park, the Outzone, and Dome of York - connected by a generic canyon zone No quests, no epics, no rares - just the basic gameplay experience with a rank cap of /25. Then if you want to get any further out... BUY THE FULL VERSION :D At which point you can 'transport' your character to one of the 'Retail' Servers.

### Sector Display ###

http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10035

Small, simple idea. Add a line to the map display that shows what kind of sector you are in. Sometimes you don't get the sector-type message or you're in a zone for so long you forget (in my case 7 seconds)... then you're confronted and you're not sure what you can do in that split second. If we could see that we were in a Dungeon Sector at all times, it might help how people react to situations.

Also, please change the 'Wasteland/Hacknet' sector message. One or the other. It looks incredibly stupid zoning into a_08 and seeing such a generic message. Kinda cheapens the wasteland experience in my opinion :(

### Lack of Reasons to Explore Existing Barely-Used Dungeons ###

The new dungeon teaser is great, but there are a lot of places runners simply don't visit. The game needs more item drops specific to TYPES of caves and a REASON to use them. I'm hoping the new runs/quests/whatever do this somewhat.

- Perhaps add a new drug that adds Energy Resist to Worm Tunnel Mobs 90/90 and better with a drop rate near that of Tech Parts off WBs?
- Or add Tech Part drops to the Mutants in Point Red or Calida Village storage?
- Or Poison Resist drugs to Swamp Cave Mobs 90/90 and better that drop at a Tech Part Rate?
storage?
- Or Fire Resist drugs to Swamp Cave Mobs 90/90 and better that drop at a Tech Part Rate? or the Graves for that matter?
- Maybe let the Juggernaught parts be used to boost item stats when used in construction like slot enhancers, except with a 5% guaranteed boost to a weapon aspect?
- Add a new heavy laser drone, buildable out of parts dropped by 90/90 and higher COPBOTs in the Gaya Mine? Building one yeilds a stack of 10 non-bpable drones...
- Add a new rare Toxic Halo slightly stronger than the Toxic Beam with a LOS req (a la Chaos Queen Flame Avalanche) that is constructed via organic parts from 90/90 and higher snakes in the graves and a new rare loot part only dropped by the Bloodviper King and Yoda?

There are a million ideas out there - but the REASONS to go to these places are needed!

### Stop Fucking Over Pro-Neocron in the Wastelands ###

*FIXED IN 2.1* - Thanks KK!

### The Upcoming 2.2 Vehicle Updates ###

= General =
* Toggle-able Headlights - With 2.1, my screen and I believe many others, has become a great deal darker. Riding a vehicle at night can be very hazardous. Have you ever tried driving from Regant Fortress to Regant's Legacy on a Quad or Hover at night? It's brutal Please add headlights
* Enter/Exit Vehicle Animations - Not sure who has played Planetside, but it's a large-scale FPS that is a TRUE FPS. All the vehicles there have an animation that plays when a player gets in and hour of a vehicle and you know what... it's f-ing awesome I'd love to see these in Neocron! And I would think that if it doesn't interfere with the high-speed FPS gameplay in Planetside, it would be fine in Neocron.

= Quad vs Hover =
* Currently, there is no reason to drive the hover. The Quad has lower reqs, goes faster, repairs for 438nc, and is better than the hover in just about every way. That's too bad because the Hover is a fine vehicle :( Not sure if the engine supports this, but if you made this change to the Hover, it would really make it worthwhile vehicle and worth having it around: Make the hovertech truly 'hover'! If the Hovertech worked on both land AND water - it would be the sexiest vehicle in-game and you'd see it around a lot more often!

= Model Updates =
* Update Vehicle Models - Basically, see this post (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=124760). The Quad/Combat Quad set graphical standards in 'model reusage'! Honestly, the NeXT Reveler and Chaincraft should look different as well :D

Combat HT vs Non-Combat HT
http://www.synergyxr.net/fn/images/green-hovertec.jpg VS http://www.synergyxr.net/fn/images/blue-hovertec.jpg

### Clean up the Clan Database! ###

Basically - require 5 Runners in 24 hours to create a clan. If you don't get 5 runners in, the clan is removed and the key is either reset or destroyed. Neocron's clan system has no method (that I know of) of keeping itself current or up to date. If nobody in a clan logs on for say 90 days, delete the clan and make the clan apt belong to the clan leader. How many 1-3 person clans are there in the database? How many clans haven't had a single person log on in months? Either that or add some sort of filtering options to the Info > Clans portion of the terminal so I choose to see clans listed with more then 10 runners and minimize the Terminal Loading/Search times.

Every other game I've played, to create a clan/guild/etc, there were requirements to create & maintain it. This keeps the needless pollution of truly non-existant clans. It may not seem like much at first thought - but compound it by number of players over months, even years... that's a lot of garbage data.

### Wisdom of Ceres is good for what? ###

*ADDRESSED IN 2.1* - Thanks KK! Keep up the content injections!

### New HUD/RPOS ###

This your chance KK - bring back all the people who quit because the overly-organic, taking-over-my-screen, extra-lines-where-they're-not-needed, and way-too-friggin-small RPOS made them quit. Add the selection of NC2 or NC1 Style RPOS as an option. There have already been a number of NC1-esque files seen in many screenshots here. Add the option officially and bring back the minimalistic users!

http://mightymax.org/stealth_shot.png

How EASY-TO-READ is that??? It's just beautiful *tear*

### Anonymity & Multi-Char Servers ###

I won't go into much detail here, most everyone knows the issue... I'd ask that Characters be "look-up-able" so people can see who their alts are on that account to stop the maddening politics and ganking disruptions

-OR-

Restrict accounts to make slots All Pro-NC or All Pro-DOY, with CM being allowed no matter what. Terra's Saturn-like atomosphere, combined with the fact that we never got a Pluto-like atomsphere back, irritate me to no end.

### Accessories: The Erased Part of the NC2 RPOS ###

I've attached a PDF of my original outline. I've created some images for the items in my boredom, but the idea has all but stalled. You'll see the date on the PDF and I've not heard anything back from KK :(

- Accesories.pdf (http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9801)
- HCK Image Example (http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9802)

### Character Balance ###

I know - it's a never-ending saga. But you have to admit, with the introduction of weapon reloads and the past un-nerfing of monks, the balance is REALLY getting skewed. Weapon-weilding players are getting shafted by the "limitless clip" that monks now have. If the forced-reloading times are staying, the Monks really need a change as well... Introduce the Booster Injection Process:

On booster usage, play some creepy injection sound and animiation... then based on the booster it will kick in after the counted time goes by.

PSI Booster 1: Injection Time is 1.5 - 2 Seconds
PSI Booster 2: Injection Time is 2.5 - 3 Seconds
PSI Booster 3: Injection Time is 3.5 - 4 Seconds
This would add strategy to using Booster 1s over Booster 3s in certain cases... and timing would be a bit more crucial. This would solve the offensive aspect of APUs as they would still have the highest damage output "per clip". I'm not really sure how this woud affect PPUs however - it would really need testing. Perhaps if points into PPU also added to the PSI Pool to compensate...

Marx
16-12-05, 22:45
Hey peoples. If you don't want to read, don't bother. Just vote yes and rate 5 stars. If you don't trust me, read damnit.

Alright, after reading a post or two I've been thinking more on this particular subject... As I and many other have in the past.

IDYAH?!

The idea of a 'no faction' faction.

HAY, NO FAKSHUN FAKSHUN? LOL U R DUM

No, hear me out here:

Alright, once a person comes out of MC5, they're already in a faction that they chose... well... before they even started to play the game. I think this hamstrings the player right from the beginning.

First off, they don't know how the faction they chose is currently working in their new world. Each faction is played differently on each server. Hell, if a person joined pluto and on a whim made their dude DRE, (s)he'd be a very lonely dude. This might even put the person off enough to say "Not worth my time".

Second off, the player doesn't have a reason to be loyal, or not loyal to their faction. Sure, if they decide to read the faction history, they might have an idea - but if they joined the faction as put forth by the players, then they might just have reason to stay. The current system coupled with epic items make faction whoring an annoying epidemic.

Third and lastly, the player is put right in the line of fire and will only be safe as long as their LE stays in.

LOL, U POYNT OWT OBVEEUS! HOW FICS?

My solution to this? The non-faction faction.

O I C

The non-faction faction is full of people who are not citizens of either city (DoY/NC), as such, they are not able to hold property in either city or anyplace inbetween.

Due to the conflict between each city and faction, those units fighting will try and recruit these 'undecided' people to join them in their fight. As such, each faction will be allied/nonhostile to the non-faction faction. This grants the person in the non-faction faction the ability to go anywhere and do anything.

Non-citizens will not be allowed to create clans. Clans created without the backing of a faction are nothing more than gangs, hooligans, and possibly criminals - as such, both cities and most factions will not allow it...

Non-citizens will not be allowed to have an amount of money which exceeds 500k credits. Just remember, the money is 'deposited' into your account... If you're not a citizen, you won't have an account, which in turn means you won't be able to hold substantial amounts of money (pretty much would be you holding reciepts and IOU's. :lol: )

Lastly, faction members will not be allowed to go back into the non-faction faction. The fact that they worked for another faction mars their reputation, and as such, they'll never be able to be 'neutral' again.

WAT WULD DOSE TINGS AKOMPLISH?

1.) The new runner now has a game mechanic to protect them while having all brain slots available.

2.) The new runner will now be able to join a faction that they feel represents the best in them as opposed to what 'sounds the coolest'. Since joining a faction also makes them a citizen, perhaps the new players who are just starting to understand the game will be more loyal to their first faction.

3.) Clans and factions can now have 'recruitment drives' and 'recruiters', both of which add to the general roleplay atmosphere. Imagine seeing signs in Plaza 4 where those NEMA signs are which have a scroll like "Join CA - Help us run the city", or perhaps hearing "The City Mercs are now recruiting! Visit the Con Center for more information" as you're walking through plaza 1. Just remember! All pro-city factions have recruiters in a central location now!

4.) The new runner has a safe haven for the time being, but as is made obvious, doesn't have all the perks of being a factioned person.

5.) The new player is safe, but not truly safe. (s)he is still able to be killed, but due to SL loss, the chance of it happening is dramatically lessened. Frankly, this is a better way to groom newbs and get 'em accustomed to PvP and such... Much better than the current "No loss up until the person is super high level and decides to take out their LE and dies and looses everything due to a dumb mistake" method.

WAT ABOWT NON PVP DUEDS WHO WANHT 2 JOYN FAKSHUN?

Well, in Neocron... The opinion people hold of you is what makes you. If you don't want to PvP, join a faction which doesn't PvP much or is as friendly as possible. Join a clan within the faction which has made a name for itself as a neutral in that particulars server conflicts. Perhaps you can start your own clan with the same ideals in mind... Maybe you can even go on your own and make a name for yourself.

Hiding behind a game mechanic prevents players from experiencing the whole game. Sure, they may be 'safe', but so's the kid in the bubble and the hockey helmet who rides the shortbus.

Experience > safety.

Vote yes if you agree, feel free to add stuff below.

Vote no if you like the current system.

Vote abstain if after reading this and playing the game you have no opinion on this particular matter whatsoever.

If you rate this thread 5 stars, please mention it in your post so as people will jump on the rating bandwagon.

Enjoy.

Edit - If I missed something blatantly obvious, chime in and let me know... I'll try to make up something to counter it!

Old skool.

Long - be prepared to read it all. If you're not - go someplace else.

.... If you vote yes, please post (so as to keep this near the top) and rate this thread 5 stars by selecting the rating option in the lower right hand corner of the thread. If you vote no, please explain as to why. Thank you.

We all know of the main entrance to Neocron.

It's been home to events, invasions, and battles - but should it be?

I say... No.

This is the main entrance to Neocron - the only one that is actively controlled by pro-city forces... The only one which will allow people to enter and exit with at least a relative amount of safety. It needs more security, and more purpose.

This should not be a zone like Pepper Park. Before you anti-carebear folk jump on the No bandwagon, I'm not saying turn it into a safezone or anything of the sort. Keep reading.

It's purpose is two-fold, to provide entrance and exit, and to make a lasting impression on people. Most entrances do, look at the 'Doorstep of Communism' on the North/South Korean border. It's a beautiful building there to make one beleive that life is better on the other side of the line. Hell, North Korea even has its own uninhabited propoganda village named Kijong-dong (http://dirtynuke.net/jsa16_content1.jpg) which is there to continue to try and convince South Koreans that life is better on the other side.

Why doesn't Neocron have anything like this? I mean, we have a ruthless tyrant as a leader - where's the good ole' fashioned propoganda and shows of force/power?

I think if one revamped the outzone station, it would be a good step in that direction.

This (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/outside1.JPG) is where all Neocrons military actions are launched from. Yet it is in complete disarray. If one were to put in proper stacks of boxes and such, much like a port in that single middle section... And got rid of the 'rotten boxes' and 'rusty boxes', one would get a better impression.

I don't think I need to comment about whats wrong with this (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/outside2.JPG).

Once you enter the city, you're greeted with the ugly nature of Outzone Station (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG). Tell me, if the penalty for pretty much every crime is death - and those STORMbots are there and ever vigilant... How did the grafitti get there? And what the hell is with those ads? They shouldn't be advertising for chocolate bars and sushi joints, they should be advertising for Citizenship - They should be saying "Welcome to Neocron, Join Up". If this was just any city in the current world, I wouldn't care - but this is the magnet... The speck of hope in the post apocolyptic world. Surviving groups of people move to Neocron, the City Admin should be convincing the people to become citizens, because last time I checked, they need them badly.

More (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideleft.JPG) ugliness. Imagine if this zone was better lit, with signs proclaiming "Welcome" - imagine those ads from the plaza sectors advertising the various factions blaring here. Wouldn't that make much more sense?

The other side of ugly (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideright.JPG). Imagine if there were official greeters. NPC's who would answer your question. Imagine if after completing MC5, you were transported to OZ station (not through the GR of couse :p) where a NPC greeter could answer your questions. Leaving you the option of using the OZ GR to get to your apartment or exploring the city via the subway or perhaps exploring the wastelands for a tad.

Hell, my friend who first started playing had no idea that the wastelands existed until he stumbled on upon them. If something like this happened, it would show the new player right off the bat that there's more to the game than just a city and some sewers.

These (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insideback.JPG) guys suck at there job. There needs to be more Copbots and STORMbots within this zone. Fighting here should be just about as common as fighting within the NCPD (when is was open, not including exploiter peoples).

Why? Because this is the main and seemingly only pro-city viable entrance. If they lose control - hypothetically pro-city forces wouldn't be able to leave the city... Which would suck seeing as there's a war on. Right?

Ugly (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/pathtosubway.JPG). Rotten boxes and such do not belong in this zone. The outzone may be abandoned, and although this may be 'outzone station' - this is the last bastion of control in the abandoned section of the city.

Get rid of all the Yo's vendors here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG), and modify the ones here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/yosshoppingcenter.JPG). This zone does not need 14 Yo's vendors. Especially since most are selling the same stuff.

Clean up the zone here (http://dirtynuke.net/screenshots/insidecenter.JPG), replace these (http://dirtynuke.net/worthlessyovendors.JPG) dudes with things like NPC greeters, City Admin recruiters, etc. Imagine Mc5 style signs (the new ones) sticking out above each door in that room with something like "Recruiter", "INFO - NCPD", "MEDICAL CHECK", etc.

I think this would improve the games Post-Apocolyptic atmosphere, because as it stands now, it's roughly non-existant.

Dribble Joy
16-12-05, 23:07
I don't see why they made p1/cc safezones, there was a safezone in p1 anyway, CAHQ. MB should have never had any safezones.

DarkPhoenix
16-12-05, 23:14
None of your links work Marx.

Marx
16-12-05, 23:15
None of your links work Marx.

Mainly because they're 1 to 2 years old.

Netphreak
19-12-05, 04:53
Hi guys been away for awhile was just checking on nc's progress (yes usually I'd laugh at that statement too but it does seem like nc's made some progress since I've been away).

So what affect has 2.1 had on Neocron? is it as fun to play as it was back in NC1?

Do we have an option to change that RPOS (hud) yet?

And basically anything else you think I should know...

P.S. As usuall top quality ideas FN do hope they listen.

Dogface
19-12-05, 05:23
i like most of the ideas. most.

but, one question. what happens to the neptune characters if neptune gets removed? some players have used up their char slots on the server they want to play on. i know people who have many accounts worth of characters on neptune.

her.
19-12-05, 07:44
well do u kno if they play them? cuz tbh everytime i sign on i always see neptune at 0% maybe 3% if its a blue moon out :rolleyes:

Spermy
19-12-05, 12:35
I only have one suggestion - reset the faction relations to NC1 - work it out from there. I don't know how to storyline it - an armistice/someone loses, whatever - It's easier to apply fixes to a balanced scenario than to this screwed up red vs blue issue we have.

Oh and for gods sake - TH - Tradecenter :) but please, make it more accessible. Maybe a Venture warp style system direct to TH? That way the new guys can find tradeskillers without having to roam the wastes just because no ones in the city.

Oh.

And give us our home back dammit. :p

Zheo
19-12-05, 20:28
must of what you say is good some stuff is not so good, zone pvp is kinda fun at times it gives people a chance to recover so they can battle again instead of dying, getting poked the coming back, and safe zones give u a chance to genrep in without a bunch of lamers guarding the genreps.

If you move trade skillers to a location make sure noobs can get there.

etc etc...

cRazy-
19-12-05, 20:36
Safezone in MB is perfect, it stops GR spawncamping, simple.

Dribble Joy
19-12-05, 20:52
But it also means there is the zone line whoring at the entrance.

Anyway, why risk GRing into a potentially hostile zone? People rely on GRs too much.

cRazy-
19-12-05, 20:58
I like the zoneline, I wouldn't find PvP'ing very appealing if while on the way to MB to pvp I knew I WAS eventually going to die quite soon on. I also enjoy it more when theres an anti desperatly running for the zoneline and just a few inches from it he drops down dead, dont mind when he makes it either, keeps the PvP action going longer.

And I know theres only a certain amount of times I can tolerate dying in a PvP session before I cant be bothered anymore.

james_finn
19-12-05, 22:15
5*'s I agree with it all (FN you should work for KK ;))

xyl_az
19-12-05, 22:18
i dont agree with the neptune proposal...

Xaru
19-12-05, 23:10
Nice post. I would like to see most of it.

One thing though i dont like: ### Anonymity & Multi-Char Servers ###
That is really a bad idea. It wont work on people with several accounts and dont forget, ist an RPG. People just should embrace this more and truly play the faction their character is a member of. But dont force it on anyone. Spying is part of the game aswell. To solve this kind of problem, there should be ways to handle faction sympathy totally different, but that would need a great revamp of faction symp.

Regards
Xaru

Tratos
19-12-05, 23:42
I play both sides of the game and like the fact the majority of people dont know who my procity character is (Although i dont think many people know my chars xcept my rifle spy).

I do like all the ideas mentioned above except Anonymity & Multi-Char Servers and the consequences to Neptune players if the plug is pulled there.

Im quite interested in what they're going to do with the vehicles could be rather odd seeing them in game in 6 months time