PDA

View Full Version : Monk nerf idea

Koshinn
16-12-05, 21:31
It's a given that changing the way monk spells work is out of the question. They definately add variety to the game. Easy aiming, psi boosters, etc. No reload is another thing. But is there another way to nerf monks?

Physically, the Psi Monk is at a considerable disadvantage due to his historical evolution. Even with the greatest effort, it is nearly impossible for him to become a good fighter in the traditional sense. In the area of Psi skills, however, all avenues of development are open to him.

Strengths:
· Well-developed intelligence
· Good physical agility
· Psi-Skills most easily developed of all classes

Weaknesses:
· Disadvantages in all areas demanding physical strength or above average agility

Ok well the most obvious thing is that they have a strength and weakness about agility. That's kind of dumb.

Physically, monks are at a disadvantage. Then why are they the FASTEST RUNNERS IN THE GAME? Keep them the same... double the -runspeed nerf on their PA if not triple it, and make psi mods reduce runspeed like rifles or even cannons.

Or maybe make runcasting impossible. Make it so you have to stand still for the entire duration of a spell for it to cast.

If you make monks easier to hit, it'll remove a LOT of the problems.

Dribble Joy
16-12-05, 21:38
Skill is irrelevant, as when you balance you (should) assume perfect skill. Balancing something on aiming is pointless, as everyone hits every shot.

Making monks not able tor uncast would make the game seriously not fun and not actually solve the problems with them.

Koshinn
16-12-05, 21:44
Skill is irrelevant, as when you balance you (should) assume perfect skill. Balancing something on aiming is pointless, as everyone hits every shot.

Making monks not able tor uncast would make the game seriously not fun and not actually solve the problems with them.

that was an alternative, i think making monks run slow would help a lot. You're right, skill is irrelevant. Try go no moving against an apu hyb or apu. It'll be a very close fight. Tanks can basically kill an apu hyb or apu if you just sit there and shoot. That is balanced. What isn't balanced ist hat APU hybs can dodge almost everything, while tanks move slow. So you see, your argument actually helps mine. :)

Even blessed hybs would be so much easier to kill.

What about those PPUs that just run around in huge groups and not die? It's because no one can hit them! You can technically kill a ppu with a CS if you never miss a shot. Does that mean Tanks can kill PPUs? nope. :p

But.. a problem with assuming perfect skill is like the argument about communism. In the perfect world, a communist society would work better than any other society. The world isn't perfect. In the perfect world in which no one misses a shot, the game is balanced. Yes, it is balanced. But the thing is, everyone misses. Some classes are harder to hit with. In reality, the game isn't balanced.

fschepper
16-12-05, 22:07
Or maybe make runcasting impossible. Make it so you have to stand still for the entire duration of a spell for it to cast.
---> no runcast for pe, tank & spy, too...

btw: you are talking about agility and agility is NOT Strength..

vashtyphoon78
17-12-05, 01:00
...i like my heal runcasting melee tank....

i was thinking why not just give all balistic weapons 4x there power. then the highest rare of each class might come close to being able to kill a HL monk with a ppu assplug.

naimex
17-12-05, 01:17
---> no runcast for pe, tank & spy, too...

btw: you are talking about agility and agility is NOT Strength..

actually hes talking about "physical"...

Strength of the class: "physical agility" and more
Disadvantage of the class: "all physical areas"

thats what he meant with it being stupid..

but itīs not really stupid, itīs just badly written..

i mean like.. who the fuck has ever heard of mental agility :rolleyes:

EDIT:

just read it again..

it actually writes directly :

Good thing: Agility
Bad thing: Agility

^^ Doesnīt make it more intelligent though ...

ZoVoS
17-12-05, 01:22
how about holy deflector and blessed shelter and holy heal give a mauluse to run speed such as a para

Kierz
17-12-05, 01:23
why not just give all balistic weapons 4x there power.QUAD DAMAGE
/me hides

ZoVoS
17-12-05, 01:31
QUAD DAMAGE
/me hides

u better hide... i could one hit u all muhahahaha =P

jini
18-12-05, 08:23
I like this idea a lot.
And I will also add yet another factor: when a monk dodges and runcasts his spells, mana goes faster than before. The reason is he focuses in 2 things: running and casting, so he uses more psi mana.
Therefore, we now have 2 very decisive parameters that can be tampered and, if ballanced correctly leads to pvp as it was a couple of years back.
In fact, it can be tampered so well, that we might never need to fix anything else, not even touch parashockers. This will also eliminate the useless "dance of death" that some of our respectfull members of our society present after an op war is over

@dirbble: DJ, you cant balance this game on the 1% of your client base. You will fail most of its player base. Also u gotta gift that 1% that is so capable and has this extra something in this game. An example to this:
I was dueling in nf once. I was using a dissruptor, fully capped and the other was a Tsunami rifle pe i think. Even though i was using a 20% more powerfull rifle, I couldnt hit him for more than 10% of his health before i drop dead. Provided he wasnt cheating, which I must assume he wasnt, I want to believe its possible for 2-3 guys to be able to achieve such a record.

LTA
18-12-05, 12:39
Then why are they the FASTEST RUNNERS IN THE GAME? Keep them the same... double the -runspeed nerf on their PA if not triple it, and make psi mods reduce runspeed like rifles or even cannons.

My melee outruns any monk!

Turning APUS into turrets is not so good, i think they should have a Major force resist problem, monks should fear snipers, fear piercing, ever since i started playing everyone always said it was there weakness but its hardly the case.

Moonstriker used to own monks before most discovered they could hit the same force resist as everyone else

msdong
18-12-05, 13:19
... then the highest rare of each class might come close to being able to kill a HL monk with a ppu assplug.

balancing something so one is able to kill two ?

Hazuki
18-12-05, 13:26
how about:

remove deflector
add -10, -15, -20, -25 resist force to their pa?

so monks got a really weak point

Drake6k
18-12-05, 13:34
Deal, no run casting at all.

Tratos
18-12-05, 13:48
Add a weapon law-esque type skill to all psi spells - Concentration - which is based from Mental Steadiness, since every monk only specs enough to meet the requirements of the highest level effective spells and that is it. This would force them to use more MST to speed up their concentration lock (Like what riflers, pistolers and cannon users have to do) meaning less points to spend in either PPU or APU.

Because of this you would get two types of PPU and APU, those with less MST who can use the higher level spells like the holy buffs and for APUs HL etc then their would be the second sort - monks who can run about much like they can at the moment as their recticle closes quickly but they would have less powerful spells and less powerfull buffs.

So the <MST monks would be more targetable but do more damage/have more defencive potential and the >MST monks would slippery buggers running about the place but less effective.

In an ideal situation this would lead to <MST monks while leveling as you dont need to move much when fighting mobs and >MST monks in PvP who are trying to get hit as little as possible so once capped monks would effectivly nerf themselves to get better results and up right time in PvP.

Oppinions?

suler
18-12-05, 14:20
I like the no run casting. Also you can't compare both at perfect skill, when one aiming style is more handicapped then the other.

Koshinn
19-12-05, 11:38
I like the no run casting. Also you can't compare both at perfect skill, when one aiming style is more handicapped then the other.

Yeah, that's true. Monks aim hella easier.

jini
19-12-05, 14:58
I like simple and effective things Tratos. I like runspeed nerfs in stages (for optimum ballance) and I also like as i said the psi depletion penalty when runcasting.
But I dont want huge nerfs and I dont like total runspeed nerfs. Remember the apus are the easiest to fall w/o a ppu. They will end up dieing from a droner using melee then and we dont want this
Simple things:
1. Speed nerfs in steps
2. Psi depletion when runcasting

LTA
19-12-05, 15:40
Turn Shelter into a psi shield...

Use Psi Shields, tone down the rate it degenerates mana per hit and force everyone to use that... if your standing there gettin cained then you aint casting shit, i mean it must be fecking hard to focus on chanting and waving your hand when 3 tanks bear on you with a cs...

and for the other classes, the same, there tanks suffer least from the psi loss but also dont gain extreme resists, apus have to dodge people to keep mana levels up or just not use shield... pe's would only have a few heals etc etc

basically it gives u resist but for only as long as your mana can hack it... and with the long reload on boosters i think it would work easier...

Or better yet make Psi Shield Foreign castable again lol that'll teach the feckers!

Preach
19-12-05, 15:48
Turn Shelter into a psi shield...

Use Psi Shields, tone down the rate it degenerates mana per hit and force everyone to use that... if your standing there gettin cained then you aint casting shit, i mean it must be fecking hard to focus on chanting and waving your hand when 3 tanks bear on you with a cs...

and for the other classes, the same, there tanks suffer least from the psi loss but also dont gain extreme resists, apus have to dodge people to keep mana levels up or just not use shield... pe's would only have a few heals etc etc

basically it gives u resist but for only as long as your mana can hack it... and with the long reload on boosters i think it would work easier...

Or better yet make Psi Shield Foreign castable again lol that'll teach the feckers!

yeah make is so if u hit them they cant hit you back.. and also make it so if u hit them once they become stunned and all spells turn red for a minute. I can see it now, three tanks with cs on one apu who cant cast or move coz he has no legs... now thats balance O_o

LTA
19-12-05, 15:54
yeah make is so if u hit them they cant hit you back.. and also make it so if u hit them once they become stunned and all spells turn red for a minute. I can see it now, three tanks with cs on one apu who cant cast or move coz he has no legs... now thats balance O_o

it is when you hit me with hl once and my legs die.

Have you used psi shield?

it dosent stun you, it turns damage into mana drain, you'd still get some casts of but you wouldnt be fucking god like because that shield is only gonna last
and tbh 3 tanks on 1 apu, that apu should be dead

The fact i can take 1 apu partner and do serious damage to a whole op team in a op war is stupid, and the more players the enemy team the easier it got unless they all had a ppu each.

ZoVoS
19-12-05, 17:36

oh i would jump with joy for that

id cast it on every apu i could find n watch as they runn about like fucking idiots not being able to cast shit

LTA
19-12-05, 18:20
oh i would jump with joy for that

id cast it on every apu i could find n watch as they runn about like fucking idiots not being able to cast shit

Used to be the best anti hybrid tool going back in the day lol

RogerRamjet
19-12-05, 18:26
Removing runcasting is like stopping PEs from moving with a pistol, as in, its stupid.

Plus it would also heavily disadvantage PEs and Spies.