PDA

View Full Version : Support for duel cpus?

=REMUS=
15-12-05, 04:11
I'm putting together a duel cpu rig for folding purposes mainly and a little gaming. I can't remember if NC supports duel processor configurations, does it?

I seem to remember it does'nt....

kurai
15-12-05, 04:39
If you mean `is it multi-threaded`, then no.

naimex
15-12-05, 05:16
If you mean `is it multi-threaded`, then no.

I have no idea what you are talking about..

but the way I understand his post I think he just means a computer with 2 cpus.

(Off topic: *drools at the not so distant quadcore cpus*)

Zeninja
15-12-05, 05:21
I don't think that running NC has anything to do with the number of CPUs you're using. If your OS is able to deal with two CPU's, I suppose he's able to run any soft designed for it (edit : I mean "for this OS").

If your question is, "is there any OS supporting dual proc that can run NC ?", then the answer is : "Sure, Microsoft Windows"

tomparadox
15-12-05, 05:36
I don't think that running NC has anything to do with the number of CPUs you're using. If your OS is able to deal with two CPU's, I suppose he's able to run any soft designed for it (edit : I mean "for this OS").

I think the game has to be made to take advantage of the duel core or duel CPU techknology, if its not the game will still run fine, just wont take full advantage of the duel cpu. If im wrong please correct me.

=REMUS=
15-12-05, 05:55

If your question is, "is there any OS supporting dual proc that can run NC ?", then the answer is : "Sure, Microsoft Windows"

I don't have a clue what are you talking about, any piece of software has to be designed to use duel cpus or it will only recognise one core :wtf:

Naimex and tomparadox have understood what I ment... and if you don't know what you are talking about please don't state facts like that... people will only be dumber for reading them!

cRazy-
15-12-05, 06:22
Kurai is right, its called multi-threading, and by the looks of it Neocron doesnt support it.

Ryen
15-12-05, 06:23
Hey man a game that hardly has bug fixes and promised features have been left out for years will get support for two cpu's especially since only a fraction of people in the gaming world have two cpu's.

:cool:

Kurai is right, its called multi-threading, and by the looks of it Neocron doesnt support it.

Muilt-threading is only supported by Pentium 4 processors. It's a feature to make a program think it's running on two cores, thereby running faster. I don't know of any programs that make use of this though.

=REMUS=
15-12-05, 06:25
Yup and for those who don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multithreading

EDIT: Wait a second I made a mistake based upon tiredness, Pentium has like Kurai said, a bastard version of multithreading called hyperthreading, multi threading is not exclusive to Intel.

Hey man a game that hardly has bug fixes and promised features have been left out for years will get support for two cpu's especially since only a fraction of people in the gaming world have two cpu's.

:cool:

Muilt-threading is only supported by Pentium 4 processors. It's a feature to make a program think it's running on two cores, thereby running faster. I don't know of any programs that make use of this though.

Most servers are, however, multi processor based so most games do support it or infact are designed to be boosted by its performance!

id Software and Raven have worked with Intel to dramatically improve QUAKE 4 performance on systems with HT Technology, multiple processors, or dual core processors. Players who have a system with one of these configurations will notice performance gains in QUAKE 4 of anywhere from 25% - 87% depending on processor type for instance.

kurai
15-12-05, 06:51
Good grief.

Some people just can't help themselves - they *have* to display their ignorance to the world - it's like some sort of bizarre compulsion.

I won't embarrass you by pointing you out individually. The posters who actually have some Clue[tm] will know who I mean.

Guys - if you don't know what the hell you are talking about, then it's *absolutely fine* that you just stay the hell quiet and don't bother the grown ups.

We won't be upset with you in the least.
Promise.

Aaaaanyway - To clear up some details :-

There's a difference between "being able to run with more than one processor core in a system" and "able to use more than one processor core in a system".
Wether the cores are on separate socketed CPUs or on-die in a single multicore package or if the CPU in question is single cored but has some bastardised form of `hyper threading` is of no relevance.

Single threaded software will only run on a single core/CPU at a time no matter how many CPUs or cores there are available.

Software has to be specifically written to be able to hand different parts of it's task list (each task called a thread) to more than one execution core at a time.

Neocron hasn't been.

(It's no great failing on KK's part - they aren't alone in this. Vanishingly few games yet support the feature so far. ID & Quake are an exceedingly rare exception.
When Neocron's engine code was being put together 5+ years ago no-one in their right mind would have bothered coding for multi-threading. The number of SMP gaming systems out there was infinitesimal, and that didn't look likely to change any time soon)

So - to summarise :-

NC *will* run on a multi CPU system, or a multi-core CPU, or a HyperThreaded single core CPU.
However - It will receive no benefit whatsoever from doing so. It will only run at the speed of a single unit.

=REMUS=
15-12-05, 07:09
I must admitt that I took it out of context and I was talking from the point of dedicated server software, in relation to multi threading support.

So... tired...

Thanks for clearing that up Kurai :cool:

cRazy-
15-12-05, 11:34

Like Remus said, thats hyperthreading technology, which is simultaneous multi-threading technology on the Pentium 4 microarchitecture, its pretty much the same just pentiums own brand you could say.

Multi-threading will eventually be developed into all games, we did some research at where I work and computer advancement isn't keeping up with games advancement, multi-threading will be introduced to handle different parts of the game for example one thread loop for the weather effects, and another for the particle rendering.

Sorry just had to blurt out some random infomation to compete with Kurai :p

sl33py
15-12-05, 12:21
1) open neocron in windowed mode
2) open task manager
3a) press "view"
3b) press "select columns..."
4) select handle count
5) select thread count
6) press ok
7) read the numbers that stands next to neocron.exe

8) The end

Inchenzo
15-12-05, 16:42
I have 2 cpu's in my computer, and when i play neocron it only uses one. That enough awnser ? :angel:

edit: somethings changed, neocrons using both procs, it's amazing, must be somehitng new.

=REMUS=
15-12-05, 17:20
I have 2 cpu's in my computer, and when i play neocron it only uses one. That enough awnser ? :angel:

edit: somethings changed, neocrons using both procs, it's amazing, must be somehitng new.

hehe, under task manager if that is the case (which it seems to be) it will appear to top out at 50% usage.

@ sl33py: I havn't built the pc yet if you read the OP so I couldn't use that method.

Mighty Max
15-12-05, 17:32

It's been like this at least for the last two years.

Inchenzo
15-12-05, 17:40
hehe, under task manager if that is the case (which it seems to be) it will appear to top out at 50% usage.

yeah well, the difference compared to the past times i checked, is that normally it would always just use one proc, instead of both. But your right it always tops at 50%

Zeninja
15-12-05, 18:27
Some people just can't help themselves - they *have* to display their ignorance to the world - it's like some sort of bizarre compulsion.
Hmmm... KOS ?

o_O

edit : though you may ignore what those 2 words "to suppose" are "supposed" to mean ;) ?