PDA

View Full Version : The Background Story

Glorious
11-12-05, 22:47
A few days ago, me and a collegue decidet to play a MMORPG together, as we both spend a lot of time with them.
Today, we finally decided to try out Neocron - while the mentioned collegue went offline after starting the download, I sacrificed my late evening to inform myself about the game.

Starting with the System requirements, over the Professions and eventually reaching the Background Story, I couldn't stop reading anymore.
I have seldom read an background story that exciting, so I wonder whether it will show during gameplay or be nothing more than a nice tale of a possible future.

What role will the Story play in the main game?

Nidhogg
12-12-05, 00:46
Check out the Neocronicle (http://neocronicle.com/) for how the story is being implemented in-game right now. Or, if you prefer your news coloured more towards Dome of York then the Voice of the Resistance (http://votr-mag.com/) is more likely to be for you.

N

Napalm82
12-12-05, 02:52
The background story to NeoCron is indeed part of the game, you can read the neocronicle and many times you can find the NPC's mentioned in the story around the gameworld, sometimes its for an event and so on.

But, if you think that you will be taking part of an epic story all the time then i am sorry to disappoint you, the story is there, most people just dont really care.

If you try to roleplay on the servers you WILL be ridiculed by some people, however once in a while you find someone who is actually fresh and can play along, i'll give you an example:

Niamex, myself and some others roleplayed a wasteland gang long ago, we rid ourself of our faction tags and got negative soullight (A punishment for killing allied runners) we then lived in an abandoned village in the wastes, making weapons out of trash and yelling at whoever came nearby (Often we opened fire on whoever came close) we met a lot of the ugly side of the playerbase, being called everything from pussies to arseholes, however we had a lil' fun and we DID meet a NeXT Runner who tried to evict us and kept saying that this village belongs to NeXT and will be used to house a new factory for a new line of HoverBikes, its been a long time since i had so much fun, sadly the ugly part of the playerbase ruined it later on.

But come on in and give it a whack, perhaps you and your friend can find some sort of role in the game. (If one of you Constructs and the other Researches you can make a shop, however dont use the name "GunRunners INC." that belongs to me and my mate :lol: )

- Nap (Think i went a bit overboard with my keyboard here)

elGringo
12-12-05, 03:11
If you like a good read, you might want to check out the old magazines as well... thats the pre-newsportal era:

NEMA: http://www.neocronicle.com/?page_id=90
VotR: http://www.votr-mag.com/?page_id=90

nice illustrations included :)

scarshapedstar
12-12-05, 08:51
Whenever I see a DoY complaining, I remind them that they shouldn't have defied the rule of our great leader, Lionn Reza.

Who, by the way, wishes you a productive and happy day.

elGringo
12-12-05, 08:57
Whenever I see a DoY complaining, I remind them that they shouldn't have defied the rule of our great leader, Lionn Reza.

Who, by the way, wishes you a productive and happy day.

have a look at them mags today :lol:

Cronicle(CityAdmin): Interview with Ca-Official cancled due to health issues.

VotR(TG): CA-Official kidnapped

seen it ingame today.. a few dozen doy-warriors went shopping in pepper-park... and that CA guy was probably on the shopping-list :D

..hurray for Reza and his careing, truthful regime :p

ZoVoS
12-12-05, 12:04
LIES... filthy dirty lies spread by DOY... there is nothing untoward going on with mister denton he has been merely taken ill by an unexpected affliction we are sure that he will be free to comment. some time... in the near future

we implored you not to belive the deceit and lies spread by the so called VotR the data isnt worth wasting a cube on.

HAIL REZA AND HIS DOINGS

and as for the expected doy activity withing the city... rest asured that the city administration are looking into it

Riddle
12-12-05, 12:13
The Dome are filth ridden remnants of a disease ridden culture.

KILL them all !

......Come to <<Logans Emporium>> For the latest in weapon design built to the highest specification and FREE to New runners on NC to aid them in their fight against the scum sucking.......Pig S......mother F.....DOY.

ooc: Only available at select times of madness from the eccentric millionaire and to those runners unlucky enough not to have surpassed LV25 :D

Glorious
12-12-05, 15:43
Thank you for the elaborate, insight-giving answers.
I am looking forward to playing the game already.

Expecting an amusing trial-time, the glorious Glorious

nemesys
13-12-05, 02:14
its been a long time since i had so much fun, sadly the ugly part of the playerbase ruined it later on.
so it's no different than real life, then :lol:

As when AFK, don't let the idiots who lack imagination (or nonvulgar vocabularies) ruin your good time or having fun with your ideas. And as an added bonus, unlike when afk - one hopes - you can simply shoot them.

To the OP, there are also many longwinded NPCs scattered about who will tell you random crazy stories, just like that drunk punk you met at the bar last week. It's interesting not yet knowing if they're totally random spoutings, or point to important NPCs/events/etc. ingame.

(tho some of them need some serious overhaulage, language-wise... like, ouch.)

SovKhan
13-12-05, 02:20
Thank you for the elaborate, insight-giving answers.
I am looking forward to playing the game already.

Expecting an amusing trial-time, the glorious Glorious

when you have questions in game. and you will have a few for sure dont hessitate to ask other people. there are some people who arnt very helpfull but you should find most people willing to help you.

madleet
14-12-05, 23:51
and saw those 2 URLS'
nice writeups :D i like it
anymore of those and do those updated daily? :angel: