PDA

View Full Version : Why does self defense cause SL loss?

scarshapedstar
11-12-05, 13:03
Bueller?

giga191
11-12-05, 13:20
the problem with the SL system is that u lose SL for killing red SL people in lvling zones. Other than that it's fine
EDIT: apart from the fact that u gain sl from killing people in warzones

sultana
11-12-05, 13:47
Too complicated to implement a system that allows self defence without consequence. And if there was such a system, it would be too easily abusable.

For example, once X runner has dealt (say) 25% damage (of the Y runners' health) to Y runner then Y runner can kill X runner with no consequence. However, this leads to levelling griefing where Y runner runs into X runners' barrels, then can kill him/her without any Soullight/Sympathy loss. And other sorts of exploits in the system.

[VP]Orion
11-12-05, 15:31
I realize it would be hard to code. But still, its damn annoying to loose SL when you are defending yourself against someone else that attacked you first.

About the problem with someone running into the barrels. How about making it so when you defend yourself you still loose symp but not SL? Or perhaps a better idea would be that you still loose both SL & symp but not as much as if you had attacked the runner first.

Dargeshaad
11-12-05, 15:50
Or maybe people should stop being careless about where they throw their barrels and shoot with their AoE guns. It worked quite well in UO where they also used a flagging system, sure some became victims because a PKer could run into a fire/poison field (AoE type spell) and the caster of it would become grey and could be killed with no loss.

Again, EVERY class that can use AoE weapons has an entire arsenal of non-AoE weapons.....use it if you're afraid of getting attacked because of using AoE

scarshapedstar
11-12-05, 16:32
Too complicated to implement a system that allows self defence without consequence. And if there was such a system, it would be too easily abusable.

For example, once X runner has dealt (say) 25% damage (of the Y runners' health) to Y runner then Y runner can kill X runner with no consequence. However, this leads to levelling griefing where Y runner runs into X runners' barrels, then can kill him/her without any Soullight/Sympathy loss. And other sorts of exploits in the system.

That's not as bad as the current system... runner X attacks runner Y while 3 of runner X's friends watch and laugh; if runner Y fights back and kills runner X, the 3 friends gank runner Y and hack his belt since he is now red, and then rez runner X. I've never seen a game with a reputation system this badly implemented. :(

As to leveling griefing...

...can you say LE chip?

sultana
11-12-05, 16:47
As to leveling griefing...

...can you say LE chip?
That's hardly a solution.

scarshapedstar
11-12-05, 16:49
Seems pretty close... why are non-LEd people in leveling areas? Why don't they watch their local? Given this game's low pop, you ought to be suspicious any time you see a yellow name pop up... if they're not going to stand in your barrel they may well just run up and kill you. You ignore your environs at your peril... anyone who played UO back in the days when blues could run up and para you until their reds showed up to kill you can tell you that.

Also if someone does this a lot they will become pretty well known... it's a lot easier to say "hey, douchebag is in the area, better stop barreling" than it is to say "hey, douchebag is attacking me with his douchebag posse, I'd better... wait... I can't fight back."

sultana
11-12-05, 16:59
Seems pretty close... why are non-LEd people in leveling areas? Why don't they watch their local? Given this game's low pop, you ought to be suspicious any time you see a yellow name pop up... if they're not going to stand in your barrel they may well just run up and kill you.
Non-LEd people generally level in levelling areas aswell.

Griefing in general is something different, and won't be fixed like this. As it is, there are still some ways to combat griefers. You can always level in less known spots if you don't want to be Pked.

scarshapedstar
11-12-05, 17:20
Yeah, on second thought, scratch all that. It relies too much upon the LE chip, and that's crap.

Most painless solution would be to make it so that killing reds doesn't cost SL or symp under any circumstances. This way you could just blow him away and /sex if he's been doing this bullshit a lot, and eventually his 3 friends will get bored and go back to watching hentai.

Nidhogg
11-12-05, 20:51
Most painless solution would be to make it so that killing reds doesn't cost SL or symp under any circumstances.
In the upcoming patch.

N

giga191
11-12-05, 21:00
omg he said upcoming....and patch

sultana
12-12-05, 04:12
Most painless solution would be to make it so that killing reds doesn't cost SL or symp under any circumstances.
That's how it used to be before evo 2.1. Infact, it was killing negative soullight people (anywhere from -1 and below) doesn't cost any soullight or sympathy, regardless of where you were.

ZoVoS
12-12-05, 04:50
That's how it used to be before evo 2.1. Infact, it was killing negative soullight people (anywhere from -1 and below) doesn't cost any soullight or sympathy, regardless of where you were.
better not be bloody -1 again

TOOK ME FOOKIN FOREVER to get my sl back to 0. if i was being griefed by my own team when i was getting my sl back up that would just have made me snap. especialy because it was because of some lvl 3 nib running into my barrel when i was fighting of a stealth horing pe

Superbron
12-12-05, 09:49
In the upcoming patch.

N
Good news, good news...