PDA

View Full Version : The Competition

Koast
10-12-05, 07:04
In my drunken stupor I found Neocrons Competition. A little company named NCsoft and their game named "Tabula Rasa." I thought neocron was the only FPS MMORPG out there these day. Sadly I am mistaken. Maybe reakktor could take a look at why NCsofts game is so much more overly populated then neocron? It wouldn't hurt.

Then again maybe we can do something. Like visit the Tabula Rasa forums and advertise Neocron 2 to be the better counterpart! :P

Dribble Joy
10-12-05, 07:11
What happened to FoMk anyway?

Link?

Koshinn
10-12-05, 07:24
In my drunken stupor I found Neocrons Competition. A little company named NCsoft and their game named "Tabula Rasa." I thought neocron was the only FPS MMORPG out there these day. Sadly I am mistaken. Maybe reakktor could take a look at why NCsofts game is so much more overly populated then neocron? It wouldn't hurt.

Then again maybe we can do something. Like visit the Tabula Rasa forums and advertise Neocron 2 to be the better counterpart! :P

um...
NCSoft is HUGE.

Also... Tabula Rasa hasn't been released yet. So it's not overly populated... it's not populated at all. :rolleyes:

kthxbai.

Koast
10-12-05, 07:42
um...
NCSoft is HUGE.

Also... Tabula Rasa hasn't been released yet. So it's not overly populated... it's not populated at all. :rolleyes:

kthxbai.

The beta testers alone who are logged on outweigh the total of people who are logged on neocron. And it's just beta!

vashtyphoon78
10-12-05, 08:21
This doesnt look to horribly impressive to me...

Naky
10-12-05, 09:00

Link?

As much as we all may or may not think Neocron is filled with bugs, Face of Mankind makes Neocron look like the most stable, bugfree piece of software ever written as an MMO ever. FoM has a long, long, long way to go before it can even begin to compete with Neocron, so take that as you will.

And let's not even mention Planetside. A company too stupid to forget to take people's money (the gamecard fiasco) isn't even worth mentioning.

So yeah, right now Neocron's the cream of the MMOFPS crop but that's not saying a lot to be brutally honest. If this Tabula Rasa comes out with lots of content, bug free, and balanced, we could probably see a lot of people migrating over there - and the sad part is, I'm not sure if anyone could blame them =\ KK's just too, too slow fixing bugs that have been around since the dawning of its code; for whatever reasons they may be.

eprodigy
10-12-05, 09:02
ive said it before. the moment a decent MMO comes around, NC will be uninstalled. high hopes for many games, including FOM, none come through yet...

Koast
10-12-05, 10:36
[ edited - best not to make statements like that, they can be a little bit problematical ]

Jason-X
10-12-05, 11:52

http://rapidshare.de/files/8908235/The_FOM_Dance.mpg.html
:D

http://www.fomportal.com/

Koast
10-12-05, 12:00

I think I heard a whisper of FoM before. However, it really hasn't come to mind since you folks have brought it to light. IMO If KK doesn't act soon before TR releases. I think honestly I might convert to TR. At least NCsoft usually acts upon bugs fast.

Toxen
10-12-05, 13:56
Was amused by this thread. Neocron hasn't been the only FPS style MMORPG for a long time. Yet their still riding on that wave and the fact its a sci-fi enviroment rather than fantasy and has until recently been in a niche market, with the coming of twilight war and other such mmo's that mirror neocron's settings and have much more money behind them that niche market is about to get filled with a heck load of competition and alot of people will no long hang around a game that to be honest has passed its prime its only what i would technically call its third incarnation now aka its 2nd expansion and the average peak user count fails to reach 1k in my opinion. As 2006 is the slated release period for alot of the competition coming for neocron I don't expect to see christmas in neocron with half the people we have no unless some drastic changes happen.

suler
10-12-05, 13:56
Looks ok, but from what I gathered from the site there isn't gonna be any pvp. Anybody know if that's true or not? Because if it is it's not really an alternative to neocron at all.

darkservent
10-12-05, 14:06
TBH Neocrons days are numbered if they dont finally change the engine let alone the game play issues. I get soooo pissed off with the bugs, the crashes and the old bugs reappearing after a patch. Now this may not happen for a good long time but itll happen eventually. Its a shame that a good game would have to be experianced a history of bugs and crashes. And yes some ppl may say well changing to another engine is a process that will take not months but years, I say well some risks are worth taking.

NCSoft have definatly got it good in the MMOG industry. As for Tabula Rasa well it has the sci fi twist to it but if its an alternative to NC, we'll just have to wait and see.

Toxen
10-12-05, 14:14
A Full engine replacement would force the community to ask some serious questions of themselves, it would pritty much require KK to put everything else on the side for the best part of a year no real bug fixes nothing new etc.

A before someone comes along and says evo2.1 was a new engine etc etc... no it wasn't it was neocron finally gettin parts of it converted to the updated engine that NC2 brought in its been there all this time just we havent been using it. this is why evo2.1 was a set of patchs not a new client.exe

Nidhogg
10-12-05, 15:16
The beta testers alone who are logged on outweigh the total of people who are logged on neocron. And it's just beta!
Beta is always big. Many (possibly even the majority of) MMORPG users like to flit from beta to beta to check out a game for free.

/edit - also, I would have thought the trolls would have learned by now that prediciting Neocron's doom isn't a clever move. You've been doing it ever since we were in beta - they always seem to come just after a big patch, or an expansion too. funny that.

N

Nananine
10-12-05, 15:52

I tried Face of Mankind. It doesn't work. At all.

First person mode is a joke. It's just third person with the camera right in front of your model's head. If you look down you see bad model clipping. If you draw your gun, you point it to the right instead of at your reticle.

If you log off, you are immediately transported to your apartment.

There's no in-game map, and no way to tell who individual people are until you're right up against them. There's also no way to tell where your team members are.

I won't even get into how awful the missions and "player run content" is. The player run content is mostly a joke because the players who run the content are complete idiots. And It's frustrating because there's great ideas there in terms of player-run content. But nothing works properly.

Naky
10-12-05, 19:44
Beta is always big. Many (possibly even the majority of)
/edit - also, I would have thought the trolls would have learned by now that prediciting Neocron's doom isn't a clever move. You've been doing it ever since we were in beta - they always seem to come just after a big patch, or an expansion too. funny that.

I'm not predicting Neocron's doom, I'm merely pointing out facts and the state of most customer's attitude towards this game.

We play because it is a pretty feature rich, cyberpunk MMOFPS/RPG that's actually fun to play but that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of problems with this game that haven't been fixed since launch. All the problems with vehicles should have been fixed ages ago, yet here we still are with useless APC/Carriers. Water is still a vehicle's worst enemy, when I honestly can't see why a 'quick fix' would be to make vehicles float over it isn't even implemented yet. I can go on, and on, and on but it's the same things that we've all heard before time and time again.

From our point of view, I think it's completely understandable to be frustrated with the state of the game and the slow progress of it, and if competition can one up Neocron, then yes, the reality is that you will lose a great deal of an already small player base. If that's predicting Neocron's doom, then I would say something would have to start changing and a major bout of fixes and balancing of what we already have in game would be a wonderful start.

Koast
10-12-05, 21:31
[ edited - best not to make statements like that, they can be a little bit problematical ]

Whoa what did I say last night that was so bad? (I cannot remember because I was drunk :lol:) Oh well forgive me :angel:

nobody2004
11-12-05, 21:06
I honestly can't see why a 'quick fix' would be to make vehicles float over [water]

Not sure vehicles ARE supposed to float ...

KK (for once) did a really good work with 2.1 release.

Goodies, good marketing, on time, NME, more to come, ...

So let's keep the GOOD mood.

Asurmen Spec Op
11-12-05, 21:14
FOMK was booorrriinng and buggier then NC.