PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Spy's viable for pvp?

Foo
10-12-05, 03:45
Hi , ok basicly i would like to play a rifle spy for pvp . but realy am unsure about them , as they are kinda looked upon as the weakest class but the chance to use dissy/ hl / Fl / SH (which i have acces to all) seems so appeling to me . but i realy dont wanna be just a peice of meat thats gonna drop in seconds. So could any 1 throw a few ideas my way , idealy im looking for help setting up my imps and what kinda RC/wep im gonna need to capp a dissy (as it is the highest tl rifle). I Would like a non drug set up but i supose if i HAVE to then i will use em .

Any 1 help me out :) thx

sultana
10-12-05, 03:55
Yes, all you need is Inquistion 1 Helmet/Pants/Boots (Beast), a shelter (Nightspider), a Heavy Energy Belt, then a con setup to fit.

Foo
10-12-05, 04:13
ok ty , on a side note any 1 recomend a good char builder ? cause this neoskiller doesnt seem to work propley or is it even upto date >? , cause makeing set ups on it just seem not to work propley.

Foo
10-12-05, 04:34
Character Overview for New Character

Character Class: Spy
Ranking: 40/67

None

-----------Intelligence-----------
Current: 106 6
Skill: Hacking = 101 25
Skill: Barter = 0 0
Skill: PSI Use = 100 20
Skill: Weapon Lore = 165 33
Skill: Construction = 0 0
Skill: Research = 0 0
Skill: Implant = 20 20
Skill: Willpower = 0 0

-----------Strength-----------
Current: 51 11
Skill: Melee Combat = 4 4
Skill: Heavy Combat = 31 31
Skill: Transport = 57 6
Skill: Resist Force = 114 23

-----------Constitution-----------
Current: 40 0
Skill: Athletics = 50 8
Skill: Body Health = 93 23
Skill: Endurance = 0 -12
Skill: Resist Fire = 38 15
Skill: Resist Energy = 55 15
Skill: Resist X-Ray = 23 23
Skill: Resist Poison = 25 10

-----------Dexterity-----------
Current: 113 13
Skill: Pistol Combat = 0 0
Skill: Rifle Combat = 180 42
Skill: HighTech Combat = 100 14
Skill: Vehicle Use = 0 0
Skill: Agility = 63 36
Skill: Repair = 0 0
Skill: Recycle = 0 0
Skill: Remote Control = 0 0

-----------PSI-----------
Current: 25 5
Skill: Passive PSI Use = 56 0
Skill: Agressive PSI Use = 0 0
Skill: Mental Steadiness = 31 0
Skill: PSI Power = 4 0
Skill: Resist PSI = 0 0

-------Character Inventory-------
Inquisition Helmet 1 (Helmet)
Heavy Assassination Suit v S-11a (Vest)
Heavy Energy Protection Belt (Belt)
Inquisition Trousers 1 (Trousers)
Light Inquisition Boots (Boots)
Special Forces CPU (Brain Chip)
MC5 Synaptic Accelerator CPU (Brain Chip)
Protopharm Resistor Chip (Brain Chip)
BioTech (M.O.V.E.O.N) CPU (Brain Chip)
Rifle CombatEye 3 (Eye)
Filter Heart 1 (Heart)
Crahn Power Gauntlet (Glove)
Strength Booster 2 (Spine)
Biotech AntiGamma Headbone (Headbone)
Biotech AntiGamma Chest Enforcement (Chest)
Biotech AntiGamma Arm Enforcement (Arm)
Biotech AntiGamma Leg Enforcement (Leg)
Biotech AntiGamma Foot Enforcement (Foot)
Shelter (Shelter)
Deflector (Deflector)
Rifle Combat Booster 1 (Combat)
Spy Booster 1 (Support)
Basic Resist Booster 1 (Resist)
Beast (Drug)
Nightspider (Drug)
---------------------------------
ok this is what i have come up with so far

Neoskiller doesnt seem to have the spy pa3-4 in its selection so would prob be wearing one of those.

im not sure what it takes to capp dissy to plz say if i got to much / to less rc/wep

any comments plz :) advice etc , thx

jini
10-12-05, 08:14
Not anymore, like not after last patch's reloading time. Unfortunatelly both the highest rifles ingame have lost their power pvpwise due to very high reloadig times. Dissruptor/Healing light/First love empties their clips in say 10 secs and reloads for another 6. These are 6 secs of pain and agony for you, making you a living sack of boxing. Im very close to quit everything.

Even though there are good setups as a spy that fix their lack for low con/ no fire armour, the hit they take from reload time is so huge, that you cant do anything else other than using them as riflers/droners.

You will be needing some 183-184 R-C to fully cap the dissruptor, provided its artifact. Frequency is the tough thing to cap

Foo
10-12-05, 16:24
yea jini :( im still holding out on the hope that they change reloading back to how it was . oh well will w8 and see before going down that path then. Thx anyway.

SorkZmok
10-12-05, 16:46
Your setups too slow. Rather use redflash aswell or raise atl and agl.

And don't bother with any poison resist. Carry green dragon. Use br1 over br2 for faster casting/less mana, exp heart 1 instead of fh1 for more health. You want at least 350 health. Better 400 even.

For capping, 180 r-c with high wep should be enough. And i'd lower t-c to 90, stealth 2 is all you need.

Foo
10-12-05, 16:50
k , thx kid , atm im gonna put my spy on hold in the hope that this whole reload issue is resolved. but thx for input ill keep it in mind :).

ZeGe
10-12-05, 17:11
For capping, 180 r-c with high wep should be enough. And i'd lower t-c to 90, stealth 2 is all you need.

capped first love, all artifact, at 185 rc, 179 wpl.
t-c 90 without rifle buff is fine. i dont like to rebuff during the fight if i need to stealth.

SorkZmok
10-12-05, 18:02
capped first love, all artifact, at 185 rc, 179 wpl.
t-c 90 without rifle buff is fine. i dont like to rebuff during the fight if i need to stealth.
Melee 1 ftw!

;)

ZeGe
10-12-05, 18:19
Melee 1 ftw!

;)

paratemol forte even more ftw!

pm...!!

SorkZmok
10-12-05, 18:48
para forte gets me to 430 health but i just can't be arsed to carry it around. 5 min drugs are a no for me. :)

Not even using anymore drugs than usual in duels. Though i should actually get me some resist poitions and shit to make ppl go "OMG WTF" even more lol.

wargolem
12-12-05, 17:56
the underlined facts about rifle spys is:

pros: Good damage, good run speed, excellent range, stealth, good resists

cons: have to drug to be effective, some slowdown from weapons.

xyl_az
12-12-05, 18:16

additional evo 2.1 cons:

- reload time (probably longest for all weapons)
- raygun nerf (dunno whats wrong with them, but just try and you'll see for yourself
- 1st person pvp mode "disabled" (try to shoot a burst into something and count how many missles will reach the target, then change viewmode and count again...)

kurai
12-12-05, 19:47
I've played a spy since ... well ... forever (from the launch of the game in 2002)

A rifle spy is most certainly viable in combat these days - the recent reload change means you just have a slightly harder time when up close and personal with your enemy when every second counts.

As regards drugs ... there are ways to make most of them uneccessary but it requires some investment in time and items.

You need to be *fully* capped and have an MC5 Synaptic Accelerator. You can then use the STR based Inquisition armours along with a Power Armour 3 without having to be hopped up on the Beast STR drug all the time.

You then only really need a single drug, and even then, only when preparing for a close up fight : Nightspider to get PSI to 25 so you can use selfcast shelter.

90% of the time I dont use shelter/deflector at all. There's a `flash` of the shields when you enter/exit stealth, and a lot of the time the attention this draws down on you is more of a problem than having slightly less than maximum defences - especially if you are lurking around using `hit & fade` ranged sniper tactics.
I just pop a Nighspider and shield up when I know I'm, going to be battling in close quarters (I also keep one in a QB slot so I can pop it instantly and cast shelter if I get unexpectedly jumped), rather than using it permanently.

The only other time I use a drug is for hacking outposts - 99 HCK is absolutely fine for most things, but for OPs and (some belts) the +12 from a Dolinskin makes it a breeze.
Even then - most of the time you will have a PPU with you when in an OP fight situation - the +20 HCK from a Spy3 buff makes the Dolinskin redundant.

kurai
12-12-05, 19:48
Character Overview for Kurai

Character Class: Spy
Ranking: 81/67 ***

Shelter & Hack

-----------Intelligence-----------
Current: 102 2
Skill: Hacking = 99 25
Skill: Barter = 0 -5
Skill: PSI Use = 77 20
Skill: Weapon Lore = 176 33
Skill: Construction = 0 0
Skill: Research = 0 0
Skill: Implant = 20 20
Skill: Willpower = 0 0

-----------Strength-----------
Current: 49 9
Skill: Melee Combat = 14 14
Skill: Heavy Combat = 6 6
Skill: Transport = 75 6
Skill: Resist Force = 87 8

-----------Constitution-----------
Current: 46 6
Skill: Athletics = 70 8
Skill: Body Health = 107 43
Skill: Endurance = 0 -7
Skill: Resist Fire = 24 0
Skill: Resist Energy = 34 0
Skill: Resist X-Ray = 0 -5
Skill: Resist Poison = 5 5

-----------Dexterity-----------
Current: 115 15
Skill: Pistol Combat = 0 0
Skill: Rifle Combat = 181 46
Skill: HighTech Combat = 95 14
Skill: Vehicle Use = 0 0
Skill: Agility = 70 17
Skill: Repair = 0 0
Skill: Recycle = 0 0
Skill: Remote Control = 0 0

-----------PSI-----------
Current: 25 5
Skill: Passive PSI Use = 56 0
Skill: Agressive PSI Use = 0 0
Skill: Mental Steadiness = 31 0
Skill: PSI Power = 4 0
Skill: Resist PSI = 0 0

-------Character Inventory-------
Inquisition Helmet 1 (Helmet)
Power Assassination Suit v S-256 (Vest)
Heavy Energy Protection Belt (Belt)
Inquisition Trousers 1 (Trousers)
Light Inquisition Boots (Boots)
Berserk Chip 2 (Brain Chip)
BioTech (M.O.V.E.O.N) CPU (Brain Chip)
Special Forces CPU (Brain Chip)
MC5 Synaptic Accelerator CPU (Brain Chip)
Rifle CombatEye 3 (Eye)
Experimental Heart 1 (Heart)
Crahn Power Gauntlet (Glove)
Strength Booster 2 (Spine)
Biotech AntiGamma Headbone (Headbone)
Biotech AntiGamma Chest Enforcement (Chest)
Biotech AntiGamma Arm Enforcement (Arm)
Biotech AntiGamma Leg Enforcement (Leg)
Experimental Foot Enforcement (Foot)
Shelter (Shelter)
Deflector (Deflector)
Rifle Combat Booster 1 (Combat)
Spy Booster 1 (Support)
Basic Resist Booster 2 (Resist)
Stealth Activator III (Stealth)
Nightspider (Drug)

SorkZmok
13-12-05, 04:39

Amen to that and pretty much everything what kurai says.

Rifle spy can be quite nice without drugs, if you want to fight close up, pop some drugs and you're ready to go.

I use beast/redflash/nightspider, takes me over 1 hour till i actually get a drugflash. And even then it's usually just because i forget to take new ones fast enough.

If you really want to fight close up, go pistols, else rifles are great because you dont have to drug all the time. Thats pretty much all about it...

/edit
And btw, if you are capped in int aswell, you don't even need an SA.

/another edit, kurai posting while i'm typing...
Nice setup actually for just 1 drug though it's way too slow in a fight close up. Rifles need way more agl/atl to be fast enough in a fight.

SorkZmok
13-12-05, 23:31
Another thing. Don't even think about going for a slasher now. It's completely useless with the reload nerf.

I'm using exec now, still can't really aim it properly and i hate that it's bugged and every few shots it misses even with a fully closed reticle.
Even hitting on my screen, they sometimes just go throught the target, not doing any damage. And that happens way too often. :(

Terayon
07-01-06, 01:18
Another thing. Don't even think about going for a slasher now. It's completely useless with the reload nerf.

I'm using exec now, still can't really aim it properly and i hate that it's bugged and every few shots it misses even with a fully closed reticle.
Even hitting on my screen, they sometimes just go throught the target, not doing any damage. And that happens way too often. :(

I thought it was just me who got that! Worst bug ever.

Whoops. Was searching for stuff and posted here. Sorry.

xyl_az
07-01-06, 01:24
actually, imo rifles are too slow for close combat pvp nowadays (cause of reload issues) so its not really worth it. HL is bugged so the only close combat viable weapons are dissy or FL. FL is probably fucked up due to reload time and dissy is a little slow.

In other words, you will have very hard time to win against monk, PE or tank. Unless youre going into mid/long-distance fights aka sniping of course... In such case its ok.

npinchot
16-01-06, 23:25
Rifle spy's are definitely good for pvp. A tank & a ppu in got dropped in P 2 last night by a spy (I watched on my ppu). Only thing I did was give the spy a holy heal (his con still isn't worked out or he wouldn't have needed it) other than that he was self buffed.

sultana
17-01-06, 05:54
Rifle spy's are definitely good for pvp. A tank & a ppu in got dropped in P 2 last night by a spy (I watched on my ppu). Only thing I did was give the spy a holy heal (his con still isn't worked out or he wouldn't have needed it) other than that he was self buffed.
Lol, only gave him a Holy Heal.

Kame
17-01-06, 09:52
In other words, you will have very hard time to win against monk, PE or tank. .

Spys can duel tanks with ease. They can even take some hybrids or PE depending on the players skill lv.
In fact as long as there is no PPU theyre fine, and thats what they meant to be.
Sometimes even a blessed hybrid could do not enough damage and catch a nib heal or 2 and die.

*EDIT* Typo

SorkZmok
17-01-06, 10:46
Spys can tanks in duel with ease. They can even take some hybrids or PE depending on the players skill lv.
In fact as long as there is no PPU theyre fine, and thats what they meant to be.
Sometimes even a blessed hybrid could do not enough damage and catch a nib heal or 2 and die.
Yeah, i actually think vs. PEs and tanks spies (even rifle spies) are balanced. Vs. monks its hard because even with a shelter HL can tear you apart shit fast. Apu hybs are ok as long as you got anti db drugs, pretty fair duel. PPU hybrids are just boring. But people who play those got no balls anyway. :lol:

Though in the end it's just pistols > rifles. Just made a druggie FL PE though, gotta try that sexiest rifle of all again. :)