PDA

View Full Version : Ok what kind of game is this...?

Rhen
08-12-05, 06:59
The website is very vague on what kind of game is this.

Is it a typical MMORPG just set in the future like say Anarchy Online?

Is it more like a First Person Shooter?

I have been looking for a good space MMORPG but AO is just starting to look stale.

Is this mostly PvP or PvM, any good "crafting" ?

I'm just looing to get a feel for what kind of game this is.

Thanks!

sultana
08-12-05, 07:24
The game is a MMORPG FPS.

It's set in future kinda like anarachy online (I haven't played AO very much), the scene is that there are currently two cities on opposite sides on the wastelands/map that are at war. The game can be seen as mainly clan based, as clans can capture Outposts that are scattered around the wastelands, which then generate an income for the clan. They also however, have to defend this Outpost against other clans who may try to take it.

The FPS elements, come in as all combat is either first-person or third-person (you can switch the view). Basically you have your gun/other weapon and you shoot another player/montser. Most weapons have reticles which will close and lock on to targets when you track them, the exception to this is the psi modules, which don't need the "reticle" which means they do not have to lock on to targets to shoot them.

This isn't so much a "space" MMORPG, the main element of the game is the PvP combat. Which either takes place at the outposts mainly, or by players/group of players raiding different locations.

Though you will have to level up, as it's not a straight up FPS, the levelling treadmill however, is not at high as many other RPGs. There's many other aspects of the game, such as epic quests for different faction, other quests for weapons etc. But the main focus is on the PvP.

"Crafting" is set into different fields. The main type of "crafting" would be research and constructing. For example. someone may wish to get a better quality weapon than what you get from the store. So they bring the weapon to a researcher, who blueprints it, then buys the various parts needed for the weapon and brings these as well as the blueprint to the constructer. Who then builds the weapon at generally 3-4 times the quality of storebought ones. Which in short, makes it easier to cap the damage/aiming/range and Rate of Fire of the weapon.

Other tradeskills are Barter, cheaper to buy, more expensive to sell. Implanting, in which you "poke" yourself and others certain implants which boosts combat skills, or tradeskills, or resists and health etc. Repair, Recycling, which mainly involves cloning ammo/drugs/etc. using junk. Though also includes building very low level weapons out of junk and salvaging weapons/items for the parts it was built from.

And maybe some other stuff I've missed out on.

scarshapedstar
08-12-05, 07:47
What he said. It may look like an FPS but trust us, it's an MMO at heart. You can't just pick up a sniper rifle and start owning everyone, you have to build your char like in any other game.

That said, it's not like most other MMOs on the market. With a few notable exceptions, items don't bind to you, and you can theoretically lose things in pvp. Also, all items degrade over time and must eventually be replaced. The best weapons are crafted, not obtained via luck and raiding, although the parts for the weapons come from high-end mobs. Oh, and there's no instances, aside from apartments I guess. In general it's hardcore and realistic, like oldschool UO, and similarly pvp heavy. :D

boneybob
08-12-05, 11:44
Its no-where near as boring and complicated as AO. Yes its set in a post-apocalyptic (blah blah blah) "cyberpunk" world of the future, where most of the population have run off like little girls to another planate and left all the scum (us) behind to battle it out over what’s left of the earth.

This is like a hybrid FPS, it uses a weird FPS systems that means you have to actually "lock onto" you target before you can release the fury of whatever weapon your holding, the exception being spells (as Sultana said). However I think this is a good effect, it adds slightly more realism than your average FPS where you just point and shoot. However its worth noting that their is no other MMO like this on the market, for all intensive purposes this is a real FPS MMO.

No space stuff, closest you can get is being a driver and flying those big hover bombers over the wastelands ;) , and yes AO looks very stale.

The game, favours aggressive PVP characters as apposed to the care-bare types (no names mentioned :p ), you can also keep a chip in your brain which prevents you from being killed by other players if your not interested in PVP at all, but you will not be able to join a clan.
Their is strong PVM (and PMV-levelling) in this game, don’t expect amazing loot and unique items (like in Diablo), but the PVM is very fun in combination with the game being FPS.
Trade skills wise, the game is again very strong, their are many trade skills, which are all very easy to get into and to understand. Other players will give support thought your time playing the game. But most importantly the trade skills are useful and even sometimes fun. Plus you can make a name for yourself in trade skills, other players have done it in the past.

Hope that helps.

Bugs Gunny
08-12-05, 11:47
download some movies (search forums for the word movie).

Also check out websites like nc.synergyxr.net

It'll give you a fairly good idea of the game.

dbogusz
10-12-05, 18:40
aww man i like owning people....o well i like mmorpg`s though...i wonder if i should buy......do they have a friends system in this game...like a buddy list...and is there allot of items to get in this game...can you get cloths

vanpan
10-12-05, 18:56
http://www.rpgplanet.com/neocron/movies/index.asp#pvp

there are a pvp Movie

Asurmen Spec Op
10-12-05, 18:56
aww man i like owning people....o well i like mmorpg`s though...i wonder if i should buy......do they have a friends system in this game...like a buddy list...and is there allot of items to get in this game...can you get cloths
Buddy list: yes
Clothing changes:aye sir

its fun
you can find my movies, if my server isnt down yet
here (http://www.golddisksoftware.com/movie.wmv)
and here (http://www.golddisksoftware.com/sexerifical.wmv)
and here (http://www.golddisksoftware.com/quest.wmv)
and here (http://www.golddisksoftware.com/time.wmv)

Spermy
10-12-05, 19:21
The website is very vague on what kind of game is this.

Is it a typical MMORPG just set in the future like say Anarchy Online?

Yes.

Is it more like a First Person Shooter?

Yes. :p

I have been looking for a good space MMORPG but AO is just starting to look stale.

Is this mostly PvP or PvM, any good "crafting" ?

Bit of both, say crafting again and i'll rip out your spine and use it as a xylophone. :p

I'm just looing to get a feel for what kind of game this is.

It's different I'll give it that.

Thanks!

Don't go in with any preconceptions, you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)