PDA

View Full Version : Elongation of Free 14 day time?

BlackDove
08-12-05, 00:20
Let's face it, the launch was not genuinely smooth. The next week's patch will probably set it straight, but my idea is - why not follow in the path of the big companies (ie. WoW) and make up for mistakes made?

We all know that the game is more or less heavily jacked as far as balance goes, but ignoring that, the sailing of EVO hasn't been exactly smooth.

You have had:

Soullight Problems
Faction Changes
Apartment blunder
Reload feature which brought more imbalance to an already non-perfect game

So, why not admit "Okay, we did a few mistakes, we're patching the mistakes in question as soon as possible" and just simply add the amount of days of mistakes for the players to enjoy the game the way it was intended?

Just a thought. I've seen WoW do this a few times for paying customers when they'd screw up, thought I'd suggest it here, since you probably need it more, considering the existing accounts are currently free (therefore you're obviously trying to lure the old crowd), and I assume the 10 day trials are at an all-time-high as well.

Make of it what you will :p

-FN-
08-12-05, 01:09
How about... no :p Why not just subscribe for 1 month? What's $15?

According to the 2.1 email, people can play for free until December 15th - that's already extended by one day (perhaps because of today's DB issue?).

Everyone wants something for free. And for 15 days, people are getting it. Neocron will continue to get patches, content, developement, bugfixes, etc over the next few weeks that will STILL PERTAIN to 2.1.

Evolution 2.1 wasn't a single patch or a singular update - it's a series of updates that all interlink.

giga191
08-12-05, 01:14
Evolution 2.1 wasn't a single patch or a singular update - it's a series of updates that all interlink. the next one being tomorow hopefully :)

-FN-
08-12-05, 01:39
Hate to burst your bubble but Nid says next week (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1913613&highlight=patch#post1913613) :(

BlackDove
08-12-05, 02:19
How about... no :p Why not just subscribe for 1 month? What's $15?

According to the 2.1 email, people can play for free until December 15th - that's already extended by one day (perhaps because of today's DB issue?).

Everyone wants something for free. And for 15 days, people are getting it. Neocron will continue to get patches, content, developement, bugfixes, etc over the next few weeks that will STILL PERTAIN to 2.1.

Evolution 2.1 wasn't a single patch or a singular update - it's a series of updates that all interlink.

I don't think you quite see the point.

It's not about wanting something for "free" and being a parasitic leech. It's about being proper towards your consumer base. They promised something new and improved. Okay, they didn't quite deliver. They'll fix it. Why not let the people enjoy the PROPER product?

joran420
08-12-05, 02:23
they delivered pretty much everything they said plus a little imho....

-FN-
08-12-05, 02:29
I don't think you quite see the point.

It's not about wanting something for "free" and being a parasitic leech. It's about being proper towards your consumer base. They promised something new and improved. Okay, they didn't quite deliver. They'll fix it. Why not let the people enjoy the PROPER product?
I do get the point, but the bottom line is that your argument comes down to perception. Like joran, I think they DID deliver something improved. You don't. Ergo, I don't see the need for more free time.

When would enough be enough? Do people want free time until every bug is fixed? That would mean free time forever - and that applies to EVERY game on the market. If you read the plan files, they've delivered what they stated. What's ironic is KK is getting better with their .plan files and don't seem to be blatently overstating as much as they used to (i.e. MJS making up shit that sounds cool when he had NO clue whether or not the devs/engine could handle it) - so the plan files are pretty close to what we have.

BlackDove
08-12-05, 02:30
they delivered pretty much everything they said plus a little imho....

-_-

Yes, they delivered everything they said they would deliver and probably more. It's not their word I'm questioning.

It's the impairments that they couldn't have forseen which affected gameplay, and some still do.

Get it yet?

I do get the point, but the bottom line is that your argument comes down to perception. Like joran, I think they DID deliver something improved. You don't. Ergo, I don't see the need for more free time.

When would enough be enough? Do people want free time until every bug is fixed? That would mean free time forever - and that applies to EVERY game on the market. If you read the plan files, they've delivered what they stated. What's ironic is KK is getting better with their .plan files and don't seem to be blatently overstating as much as they used to (i.e. MJS making up shit that sounds cool when he had NO clue whether or not the devs/engine could handle it) - so the plan files are pretty close to what we have.

Again, no it doesn't, it comes down to facts. Fact: Reloading times decrease reticle using players' damage by 50%ish. A highly unbalancing nerf, which I doubt was planned in co-relation to the monks.

Or let's take a different approach - the amount of people that weren't able to set up and still aren't able to set up the game to play at all in the first place.

The time, be it free or paid for, should be extended for these particular bugs, considering that these fourteen days that are still elapsing are "advertising" time. Why would you want to advertise faultyness? It's much better to advertise a fully usable product.

Tratos
08-12-05, 02:32
imo free time should be added only for extended server downtime.

After all if the servers are down for a day or even a few technically we wouldnt be getting the service we pay for.

Also i think this would give KK a much more professional appearance due to improved customer care.

joran420
08-12-05, 02:37
The soulight system they said they were changing ...and are continuing to tweak...could be quite sometime before the SL system is resolved...a few more days wont really effect that

the terra thing really only affected a few people....and at most it affected 10-12 hours of their work(thats at teh extreme end)

the reload thing will prolly take some time to ballance properly too...they wanted to showcase changes and that they are activly working to improve the game and imho they have

Yes there were a few snags ...Id say extend it a day or maybe 2 at most(for the apartment thing)

dont get me wrong im all for free playtime...I just dont think they should feel obligated to give more

-FN-
08-12-05, 02:38
It's the impairments that they couldn't have forseen which affected gameplay, and some still do.
Like Tratos said, unless the server was down, what 'impairments' would stop gameplay?

I haven't had a problem since I installed the new, clean client. If anything, yesterday's database problem has had a rather nice side-effect for many people. And even counting the 8 hours of database issues, they've already extended the free time from 14 days to 15 days... :wtf:

I still don't see how, at this point, any more free time is warranted. I'm not trying to be argumentative or be a dick here, I just haven't seen anything validating an extension *shrug*

BlackDove
08-12-05, 02:46
Nothing really argumentative about it, the thread was really posed as a question which you answered.

If you don't think that impairing gameplay for three out of four classes (even a slightest nerf of an already "underdog" type of class would annoy me) and having the soul-light problems and inability to change factions is something negative that reflects poorly on the game, then that's perfectly fine.

I just think that it dims the light of the show for the crucial period of time, which are these fourteen days. It is just simply my opinion that the game should shine as bright as it can for the period of time that will attract the most players. That's all.

If you don't, that's fine too. It is a suggestion after all anyway.

sanityislost
08-12-05, 02:47
I really dont think they should make it any longer, it was nice of KK to give old
players the chance to try Evo out. Some may stay and some may not, but i
really dont think people using the free 14 days should be asking for more time
due to a few problems. (Btw im really not trying to sound like an evil bastard
here honest lol)

SiL ..:..

=REMUS=
08-12-05, 06:12
The current situation does not demand me to extend my subscription, next week may be to late for returning people like me recommit.

+ it's not a case of "What's $15?" it's the time consumption factor as well, KK have to earn my money and my time and i'm not really into it atm, nothing really makes me want to play... I quite liked nc2 and its hardcore enviroment, now this might as well be another grind mmorpg.... imo if they wait to next week to fix this retarded soul light/faction system then I for one will be gone for good.

Seraphin[69]
08-12-05, 06:54
And why not make it free ? Be serious, servers cost money.

xyl_az
08-12-05, 10:19
never argue with a fanboy, its a lost case...

I wont state my opinion about neither KK nor the Evo 2.1 because i dont want to be banned...yet... but i think time will show the results of their actions, pretty fast

I'm still here though, still hoping for *something* to get fixed, still hoping for neptune ressurection, still hoping for bug fixes, but well, realistically thinking, we will probably have only 2 servers in january and 100 people population on each one. Time will tell.

Vampire222
08-12-05, 13:50
kk blatantly fucked the release of evo up by putting in that hideous reload thing, wtf do they want, old pvp'ers back, or more people leaving? :lol:

Nidhogg
08-12-05, 13:54
i dont want to be banned...yet...
How many people have thought it was fun to go out with a bang? And how many people have been pestering me over the last few weeks to get their bans revoked? It's your decision of course, but I'd hope you'd just be adult enough to just leave.

N

Brammers
08-12-05, 14:22
We all know that the game is more or less heavily jacked as far as balance goes, but ignoring that, the sailing of EVO hasn't been exactly smooth.

You have had:

Soullight Problems
Faction Changes
Apartment blunder
Reload feature which brought more imbalance to an already non-perfect game

I think it's unfair to put Apartment blunder in that list, that's not related to Evo at all. Also the resolution to the problem was very well recieved by everyone here IMHO. (I was expecting a rollback, and a very hot thread to follow)

Quote me a MMORPG that is perfectly balanced. Neocron isn't alone in being unbalnced in some way.

What about the new stuff they put in, did you miss the performance increase of the graphics engine and all the new graphics, as they promised.

Call me a Fanboy, which I quite happily accept, but I do also slam KK hard now and again. :D

Bugs Gunny
08-12-05, 14:28
Some people did a real good job in their departement concerning EVO 2.1.
Then others.... well....can't realy blame them, since in the end it's management that has final say in things.

xyl_az
08-12-05, 14:29
Quote me a MMORPG that is perfectly balanced.
eve online

What about the new stuff they put in, did you miss the performance increase of the graphics engine and all the new graphics, as they promised.

performance is a debatable issue - new graphics only make my system lags more and increased memory leaks.

Most people here are not because of the new fresh green grass... they were hoping (just as me) that maybe something will change regarding game balance...

BradSTL
09-12-05, 04:05
I have a radical idea. How about starting the two weeks from whenever the patch 148 to 150 patch notes come out? Because that's the last thing that's holding me back from making up my mind as to whether to renew my subscription, the possibility that there might be something especially cool, or especially nasty, that I don't even know about yet.

SorkZmok
09-12-05, 04:30
Why not let the people enjoy the PROPER product?You want the PROPER product? Pay for it. Like everywhere else. o_O

As much as i hate the latest patch, if people want to keep playing, let em pay. Seriously, it's not that much. Hell, i'm a student and i can afford 2 accounts. Where's the problem? Playercounts will go down anyway on the 15th...

Toxen
09-12-05, 04:31
eve online

performance is a debatable issue - new graphics only make my system lags more and increased memory leaks.

Most people here are not because of the new fresh green grass... they were hoping (just as me) that maybe something will change regarding game balance...

eve online is not balanced, its almost there but there are still issues at point, just look at the missile nerf a while back and upcoming drone 2nerf"

Also KK never marketed evo2.1 as nothing more than a Graphics update and a couple of tweaks to faction and soulight. So if this reason all the people are returning is not just the fresh green grass then they have been grossly misinformed by people telling them that new stuff would be in evo and that there would be massive sweeping changes. Because at no point was that ever said about evo by anyone but over excited naive gamers

Asurmen Spec Op
09-12-05, 04:47
eve online

Pardon me if I LAUGH IN YOUR FACE TILL MY SIDES SPLIT.
He said ONLINE game, not mine-while-you-make-coffe-/-work

.Cyl0n
09-12-05, 06:53
Well id like to see a longer free time also... as the reload thing and some other things scared a "few" people quite much. But then again i think it was nice of them to do even 14 days... oh well...

I think it would help alot if they would enlenghten (sp?) the free time but i can understand if they cant/wont.
Anyway they should release the patch soon.. not everyone is looking at the forum so you risk loosing players everyday.

AND FIX RELOADING!

/e now that i think about it...are trial users or people that got the 14 day free thing even able to browse the new forums?

MaGn0lia
09-12-05, 09:03
I disagree with the first poster, not a single big MMOG developer has given anything similar to what KK has done here, granted, WoW gave few days free time to repair a gap in their free play time, but that free play time wast pulled from the ass like it was here, WoW had to either give players who had bought a game and got free time according to promise since they didn't get everything they were promised and that would either be refund or give them free days.

In this case, KK gave us 14 days of free time without us having anykind of transaction, so only party who loses here are them, if we miss day or two, there are no broken promises or monetary losses.

forcefullpower
09-12-05, 12:09
They where very nice at giving us a 14 day trial again.

I am very impressed with what they have done and given me.
Which is what they have informed us they would give us.

You where not happy the with the origional so you left.
The game play is still the same as it was before.

The reason people play this game is for the gameplay and the people that play the game not the bugs and other quirks it has.

I have played loads of other mmorpgs and NONE of them come close to this.

Stop whining and just leave. Which is what you are going to do anyway.
Just because you think you stamp your feet they will do what you want.

Look mate you are not the center of the universe.

Spermy
09-12-05, 13:25

True

In most respects true, although they haven't managed everything I'm pretty happy with it as it stands.

The gameplay has never been the reasoning behind any of my "vacataions" I can't say the same for blackdove. Most of my gripes were with the bugs, or the content. I have a bit more to do now, so i'm sated at teh moment :p

The reason people play this game is for the gameplay and the people that play the game not the bugs and other quirks it has.

Well, I can't think of a more obvious way to say this. Duh! That has nowt really to do with anything :p we know why people play - we're trying to see what valid reasons there are to extend the freetime.

True

O_o dude. There's a big huge fat fucking line between opinion and fact.

I am. BD comes a close second :p

A lot of what you say force is true - but I fail to see what it has to do with th point you are making. If any. We all know why we came back. O_o

BlackDove
09-12-05, 19:05

Congratulations on missing the point in its entierty and making retarded assumptions that don't fit in with reality on any stretch of the imagination. Truly your logic is the king of *everything.

I disagree with the first poster, not a single big MMOG developer has given anything similar to what KK has done here, granted, WoW gave few days free time to repair a gap in their free play time, but that free play time wast pulled from the ass like it was here, WoW had to either give players who had bought a game and got free time according to promise since they didn't get everything they were promised and that would either be refund or give them free days.

In this case, KK gave us 14 days of free time without us having anykind of transaction, so only party who loses here are them, if we miss day or two, there are no broken promises or monetary losses.

Not a single big MMOG developer has also capitalised on a few changes to bring back the old crowd either. Comparing this situation to other situations (you'll note the only reference I made to WoW was the elongation - not the actual reasonings that were given in WoW) is just simply faulty perception.

We all know Reakktor would be better off if they got the old fanbase to pay for the game. But we also know that the old fanbase has high expectations of them, and will not hand over that money easily. The idea behind elongating the 14 days, (as well as the paying account's times, which is sort of key as well) is to ADVERTISE PROPERLY (the 14 days are advertisment to the old fanbase no matter how you slice it). It would be a smart move in all directions, since KK don't particulary lose much for the extra few days in which they would show the game, and there is quite a bit to gain, since showing a well managed product content would probably make more people sign back up.

I know I personally am impressed with the swiftness they have at solving problems this time around, something which was not present before. I just don't understand why they wouldn't want to advertise those perks for a longer period of time, instead of advertising blemishes until they're fixed.

That's all really.

*idiocy

jini
09-12-05, 21:40
Because it's not a good business move.
You can't expect to allways give free products all the time. You only have this oportunity once or twice, otherwise people will just get suspicious.
Reakktor already made its move by supplying 2weeks of free play. The move was at the right time as well. That's it. Those that like it stay, those that don't leave.
As far as I am concerned the launch was a succesfull one. There is a serious issue with the new reload times which spoil gamefun for me and that I wish it will soon be dealt with. Other than that I think it was a success

ZoVoS
09-12-05, 22:28
ok kiddie winkles heres my 2 cents worth

RELOAD (its a bitch but i like it. 1 monk 3 non monks... all they have left to do is bring monks inline with the reload time by nefring damage or increasing time to cast or adding there own reload)

STABILITY (i never realy had a issue but i get alot less errors now)

NEW RULES AND SL( i love them. you can kill anywhere still. but random ganking and u will take a big hit and now if u go into a enemys city theres a very fraction lovin for blasting away ur enemys... i have been hit with a masive sl drop but who cares. i just ask a friend to genrep n blast him until my simp is high enough to run a few missions...
copbots shot at -32,,, get a ppu and copbots will bearly scratch you and u can take a mission n have it done in no time for enough sl. pking is good in places like outside military base and in citys if u are figting enemys... it just reflects more that people cant kill allies,
the forcing you to kill sumbody only to have ur red belt hacked... ye thats a problem)

PROMISES( kk have promised things and delivered on probably all of them for the last evo. and some they didnt promise )

ADVERTISING ( nc is getting the publicity it so desperatly needed. so many adverts have been around)

DATABASE SCRUEUP(erm hello... we only got a apt role back... that was one of the best hanndeled scrueups ever seen by kk, minimum of fuss. bearly anybodys even talking about it now. if u didnt log in for that day or go to ur apt u woudlnt have even noticed anything)

bonus's (they managed to get phoneix cpu and the zoo and some other things in game that they have been meening to. lots of nice little things that they never promised us. the grapics are improved considerably and our guns look shweeet)

in all this is a better patch that nc1 -> nc2 was lol and they realy dont need to give any more free time. they delivered what they promised for a change and it seems there is more to come

QuantumDelta
09-12-05, 22:40
Ehh.. I would actually be able to try evo if they extended it :P

Spermy
10-12-05, 19:06

Maybe the 14 days would be more effective if you activated the offer on the account? so people at uni/unable to connect could take advantage?

Only a small portion of people, but it might have been handy.

12-12-05, 21:04

Seconded

I've been unable to connect to the servers since the 2nd Decemeber. I've posted about this but solutions (hell even suggestions!) seem few and far between

BlackDove
14-12-05, 20:35
Would you look at that, I was right.

This can now be closed :)