PDA

View Full Version : Suppose its my turn to have NC problems

hinch
06-12-05, 21:53
NC now runs for about 2-3 minutes then crashes only its not just NC that crashes when it dies its taking my entire machine down to blue screen.

From what the MS built in error report tells me when i hard reboot the machine the HD's became locked for writing when NC crashed by attempting to access memory it shouldnt be and so fataling.

As it crashed it locks the drives write perms windows cant write to system

system crashes.

blue screen.

took a screenie of the bluescreen on my phone (lacking any other way of getting it) just gotta find my bluetooth adaptor now before i can upload it

jini
06-12-05, 22:01
i had the same effect. I used to run on dx9. I turned on dx7 and it was stable for 2-3 days
then today, i crashed in teh regants area 2-3 times in a day... go figure

Toxen
06-12-05, 22:04
Mem leak anyone?

LiL T
06-12-05, 22:13
Aye I been crashing last night and have never crashed this many times in a long time, posting error logs if that helps, its seems to be the veg.

Toxen
06-12-05, 22:17
From my rudimentry understand of the log files neocrons having trouble locating some graphics and model files and is doing a nut.

And considering the models and graphics have just all been hiked over to new systems not suprising *bats it in the direct of one of the dev's* think this more your area than nids. We need the furry orange and black bunneh of doom, snowcrash

LiL T
06-12-05, 22:28
But why it has problems finding it ....

I'm no wiz at this crap but I think maybe due to memory leak, neocron is unable to load shit into the RAM or windows is using a part of memory neocron is trying to use.

Vae Victis
06-12-05, 22:34
can you make positive threads about NC?

not to be johnny raincloud here, but all I see is "NC is bugged" this, "NC crashes" that.

just wondering, not flaming.. just noticed it.

Spermy
06-12-05, 22:40
can you make positive threads about NC?

not to be johnny raincloud here, but all I see is "NC is bugged" this, "NC crashes" that.

just wondering, not flaming.. just noticed it.

Posting the issues brings them to light - this seems to be a bit of an issue for me. My client has become a tad spastic of late.

Vae Victis
06-12-05, 22:43
I didnt say it wasnt a serious issue.
and I understand why he makes a thread about it.
but look at all the threads he made.. all is negative iirc, maybe 1 or 2 positives.

and I said I noticed it, wasnt flaming or shouting or ffsing or anything.

Spermy
06-12-05, 22:47
I didnt say it wasnt a serious issue.
and I understand why he makes a thread about it.
but look at all the threads he made.. all is negative iirc, maybe 1 or 2 positives.

and I said I noticed it, wasnt flaming or shouting or ffsing or anything.

Yep :) see - we ish all civilised in this 'ere place.

*Beats chest*

Hinch, when you said accessing memory that it shouldn't be, any particular area? so I might be on the lookout to see f there's somekind of match with mine?

hinch
06-12-05, 23:16
I normally never have stability problems in NC thats why i'm quite bothered by this especially since this isnt just an NC crash.

its NC memory usage going nuts and that in turn is causing windows to lock up which in turn is big time wiping out my machine

without running nc from source through a runtime debugger and doing stack trace's on it i cant really tell whats happening though and i some how doubt Kk would give me the nc source to allow me to debug it properly for them :)

ofc what they get back may actually be a greatly enhanced stable product but thats besides the point

Dargeshaad
06-12-05, 23:52
Looks like a paging file error where data that resides in the pagefile can't be loaded into memory

Try turning off the paging file :angel:

Morganth
07-12-05, 00:09
Depends if they hired you under an NDA or if they just handed it to you hinch. I'm sure if it was legally binding they wouldn't mind.

ofc what they get back may actually be a greatly enhanced stable product but thats besides the point

And its probably besides the company mission statement :rolleyes:

Nidhogg
07-12-05, 00:22
I know it's trite but if you can't write a game as sophisticated and as complex as Neocron virtually on your own (and I'd tend not to believe you if you said you could) then you're not likely to be any more successful at debugging one either.

N

Dave_ThePe
07-12-05, 00:51
Clicky for what the error mean (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315266#kb1)

Just FYI. Kinda means that there could be allot of different problems. Probably something simple as it always is.

*edit* I would think its probably this : Bad block. Stop 0x77 is caused by a bad block in a paging file, or a disk controller error, or in extremely rare cases it is caused when non-paged pool resources are unavailable. That might mean problems with drivers.

elGringo
07-12-05, 00:56
without running nc from source through a runtime debugger and doing stack trace's on it i cant really tell whats happening though

Either way you wouldnt be able to do shit about it ..use your skills to reverse-engineer nc and build your own runtime debugger.
What you might get back is the insight that things are a lot easier if you actually dont have to do them ...calling sophisticated programmers nibs is a lot more fun too, I agree :p

and i some how doubt Kk would give me the nc source to allow me to debug it properly for them :)

There's your prove that KK aint half as stupid as you sometimes claim them to be :D
If they'd share the source with anyone who's not 100% in need to access it, they deserve to go down the drain with NC2.. and thats what'll happen in no-time if they do leak their source :)

If it was a simple as this, NC would have no more FRE's left by now... do you really think they dont put quite some effort in debugging the game?

Sorry to slate your posting here... but thats just too rude to be funny.
It's quite entertaining tho' ;)

hinch
07-12-05, 01:40
yes el and if you saw my CV and what I actually do for a living then you'd probs think differently but thats not the point.

Nidhogg
07-12-05, 02:13
yes el and if you saw my CV and what I actually do for a living then you'd probs think differently but thats not the point.
Yeah, we're all programming gods in our real lives (seriously) and who knows, any one of us might find these issues - fresh eyes and all that. That doesn't make it any less arrogant.

N

Toxen
07-12-05, 02:14
From that statement Nid I can tell you've never professionally programmed in your life. Seriously debugging someone elses code especially a large ammount is on apar with doing tech support now everyone knows that bane don't they.

Nidhogg
07-12-05, 03:06
From that statement Nid I can tell you've never professionally programmed in your life.
I wrote my first commercial software (Business to Business integration for a world-leading food company) in 1987, that's 18 years ago. Since then I've written everything from relational databases (one in Ada and one in C++), through VLSI timing simulators (C), up to my recent work which is mainly real-time software in the upstream oil & gas industry. Oh, and the occasional Neocron script. ;)

It's fair to say I've debugged my fair share of other people's code in that time, but I wouldn't go up to them and say "you may as well just hand your stuff over to me because I can do a better job of it" - it would be kinda rude don't you think?

N

Spermy
07-12-05, 11:28
Yeah, we're all programming gods in our real lives (seriously) and who knows, any one of us might find these issues - fresh eyes and all that. That doesn't make it any less arrogant.

N

*sniff*

I feel so left out.

(artiste...)

are there any parts of NC that you can release to the public that we can look at? Even if it's just coversation files and whatnot?

hinch
07-12-05, 11:37
I wrote my first commercial software (Business to Business integration for a world-leading food company) in 1987, that's 18 years ago. Since then I've written everything from relational databases (one in Ada and one in C++), through VLSI timing simulators (C), up to my recent work which is mainly real-time software in the upstream oil & gas industry. Oh, and the occasional Neocron script. ;)

It's fair to say I've debugged my fair share of other people's code in that time, but I wouldn't go up to them and say "you may as well just hand your stuff over to me because I can do a better job of it" - it would be kinda rude don't you think?

N

i think my comment was taken out of context i'm not saying the devs have done a bad job infact with the resources available to them and the starting base engine they've done very well.

however there are some major issues with the engine that are still outstanding and have been around for a very long time some even date back to early NC1. I cant help but feel that its a case of cant see the wood for the tree's type problem especially with the memory management/fps spiking/bad mapping in areas/collision detection and such.

.Cyl0n
12-12-05, 13:12
C'mon... someone has to know how to solve this! Can't be that he's quitting again over this fking error :(

scarshapedstar
12-12-05, 13:30
*edit* I would think its probably this : Bad block. Stop 0x77 is caused by a bad block in a paging file, or a disk controller error, or in extremely rare cases it is caused when non-paged pool resources are unavailable. That might mean problems with drivers.

This sounds like it's describing a data file that hasn't yet been loaded into VM and is somehow prevented from loading when needed. Windows shouldn't be enforcing mutual exclusion on read-only files, so you'd have to try pretty hard to cause this error. Nevertheless, it does seem you're having trouble loading new sound files, so if perchance you have your game sounds loaded into Winamp's playlist or something, I guess you could close it and see if that helps.

Also, something really ought to catch that script spawn failure... much better to lose some sound than for the game to crash.

rob444
12-12-05, 13:38
Hm, are you running in window mode? If yes, are you using an ATI card? If yes, I got the same problem except the bluescreen of course.. Neocron tries to do something after a while in window mode that the latest ATI drivers don't like and your computer goes *kaboom*

hinch
12-12-05, 13:48
full screen nvidia card

have no problems with any other dx9 game even my own homebrew dodgy dx9 code :) play them for hours and works just fine

Spoon
12-12-05, 18:18
Try using virtual memory, hinch.

I noticed in one of your other screenies you only had 1.8gb available ram..

Try using 3x or 4x that in Virtual memory...

hinch
12-12-05, 18:59
thats all the ram nc will detect the machine has 1gb the gfx card 256mb and virtual memory is set to unlimited.

still doesnt stop nc bluescreening every 30seconds to 2 minutes into the game just unplayable so guess its account cancelled again since if i cant play for longer than a couple of mins without having to completely reboot the pc and risk data loss on drives due to hard shutdown its pointless me trying to play.

not a single other piece of software does this and indeed nc played fine until 2.1 was release no problems but now its unplayable

giga191
12-12-05, 21:31
re-install / buy a new PC

hinch
12-12-05, 23:58
re-install / buy a new PC

reinstalled multiple times and you can get bent if you think i'm gonna buy a new pc just to play nc when it plays things like q4 and hl2 in 1600x1200 at 100 fps oO

n3m
13-12-05, 00:01
Whats your game/mmo about ?

giga191
13-12-05, 00:51
reinstalled multiple times and you can get bent if you think i'm gonna buy a new pc just to play nc when it plays things like q4 and hl2 in 1600x1200 at 100 fps oO tsk HL2, the real test of a good PC is NC2

Morganth
14-12-05, 20:43
Whats your game/mmo about ?

If you are talking about Hinch's MMO, visit FA.com's forums.