PDA

View Full Version : Liven-up the NPCs :: Roaming

-FN-
05-12-05, 21:21
COPBOTS will walk a beat in the city. Some walk back and forth between points like the one in Plaza 4. Some walk from point A and 'disappear' at point B like the one in Plaza 1. I think I've seen guards patrol areas. The AI is there...

Why not apply that to other NPCs? For many NPCs it would make sense that they wander around...

For Example, Dennis Karsten in Pepper Park 3. He stands on the 2nd level across from the Pussy Club. How awesome would it be if he walked from there, down the ramp and looked at the girls dancing, down the next ramp and walked over to Starlet, looking like they're talking, then back to his starting point? He should roam!

Simmons in Pepper Park 2 could walk over to the bartender. Wander in front of a dancer... This might be over-complicating it, but if he took a seat for a little bit, that would be ideal.

Gilbert McQueen in Plaza 2 - he should walk around the 2nd and 3rd levels and stop at the restaurant now and then.

Almachim at El Farid - make the guy wander around? Seeing movement off in the distance would add to the "Is that a runner? An NPC? I should check it out..." for many new players and even for old players if random NPCs around the wastelands started roaming...

But then there are NPCs who make sense to stay still. Tom Carpenter for instance in Pepper Park 2 - he's hittin on the dancing girl. He's fine. Roaming doens't fit his personality or situation.

Starlet in Pepper Park 3 is working that corner. She's gotta stay put.

Evol 2.1's improvement on the gameworld an content would be complimented very well by roaming NPCs methinks...

Tratos
05-12-05, 21:27
For the love of god yes!

This is something i've always wanted, even staff members of factions just bustling by and if you could set them to start routes at in game time it would be kick ass to see various employees walking to work in Neocron from around 7:30 am ;) and then home again come 6pm :p

Riddle
05-12-05, 21:27
I love the idea of roaming NPC's would add more atmosphere to the game aswell as make them a little harder to find :lol:

Logan_storm_03
05-12-05, 21:35
yes, always seemed odd how all npcs stand dead still inless provoked

Ras Klaat
05-12-05, 22:02
For the love of god yes!

This is something i've always wanted, even staff members of factions just bustling by and if you could set them to start routes at in game time it would be kick ass to see various employees walking to work in Neocron from around 7:30 am ;) and then home again come 6pm :p

thats a sick idea, seeing 2-3 npc's walking into a faction hq on there way to work.

Toxen
05-12-05, 22:17
One word PEDESTRIAN'S, 5 stars gotta love it

BlackDove
05-12-05, 22:19
Five stars by default.

Toxen
05-12-05, 22:20
Though about what you said about some npc's staying still quite a few of those have multiple scripts depending on users flags.

Shia
05-12-05, 23:14
Nice yes , i rember in Daoc they did this with guards etc :) 5stars

Dominus
05-12-05, 23:24
Definately.

STORM bots need a routine outside of Neocron, mutants need to patrol their camps..

Skusty
05-12-05, 23:28
Ye! :D

Toilet-Duck
06-12-05, 00:03

Vampire222
06-12-05, 00:30
No comment....

LTA
06-12-05, 00:31
:cool: That would add a lot of atmosphere, for epics aswell the npc could move a little instead of standing dorment in a corner randomly shooting things.

DarkPhoenix
06-12-05, 00:52

This would indeed be a great addition.

Be cool to see ranodm npc's fighitng each other and copbots intervening

Kierz
06-12-05, 01:01
Hasn't anyone suggested this before? It seems so obvious :p

Philchow
06-12-05, 01:55
This would be very awesome !

MkVenner
06-12-05, 02:41
Yes, yes, yes

jesdfair
06-12-05, 03:04
Cool ? Yes.

What KK really needs to be worrying about right now? Absolutely not.

ZoVoS
06-12-05, 09:13

sl33py
06-12-05, 11:58
making npc's walk is a bitch, making em walk randomly (i believe was done in beta 2) just don't work they kept banging into walls

Spermy
06-12-05, 12:25
making npc's walk is a bitch, making em walk randomly (i believe was done in beta 2) just don't work they kept banning walls

What do you think about a node system? A la original half life? or are these npc's simply models and a script with nothing else?

sl33py
06-12-05, 12:34
What do you think about a node system? A la original half life? or are these npc's simply models and a script with nothing else?
A node system is already in place (cfr copbots patrolling)
Afaik they are just objects with scripts attached to them. Big buzzword beeing afaik

Things change, and i'm not up to date nor all knowing ;)

Brammers
06-12-05, 12:45
Oh yes! 5 Stars.

Just imagine having to talk to a NPC for an epic, when he's in a dark corner away from the copbots.