PDA

View Full Version : Need some tech assistance

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 19:52
Hey guys, My computer is giving me a bitch of a problem

So recently(as in last night :) ) I installed a linux distro, on my other HDD didnt do any changes atall to the HDD with windows on it.
after dicking with the kernel for two hours, I got that one finding my net no problem.
Now, when I go onto windows I get a "network cable is unplugged"
Ive tried A:
Reinstalling driver
B:Reinstalling windows
C: cable

and I cant get it to detect the cable.
this has happened everytime Ive installed a distro, usually reinstalling windows fixed it though.

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 21:30
Sorry for the double post, cant edit.

Ive tried Reinstalling both SP1 and SP2 windows.

SyncError
04-12-05, 21:42
Were you installing SuSe? There are also about 5 other smaller distros that have this problem. The issue is that linux distro is not shutting down your network interface. Let me know which distro you're using and I may be of more help.

kurai
04-12-05, 21:47
Try turning off the PC and unplugging from mains entirely for a few minutes.

"Wake On LAN" enabled stuff will still draw a trickle of current when the power button is off but mains is still plugged in, preventing the card from resetting.

Some NIC drivers aren't too good at forcing resets on warm boot.

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 22:04
It was sourcemage.

I tried unplugging it for a few min as per advise on IRC.
No luck
Ill keep seeing why, but because of things I need to do I just gave up and reformated, all I lost was some fraps anyways

still, this has happened when I stalled
Fedora Core
Sourcemage
PClinux OS
Im going to try and go get a new network card tomarrow, hopefully that will do something, else Ill wait till my laptop comes since that will be linux only

rob444
04-12-05, 22:08
What kind of cable is it, crossed over or the other one? :P

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 22:11
What kind of cable is it, crossed over or the other one? :P5
the cable is fine, it worked before and it works in sourcemage

rob444
04-12-05, 22:15
Hmm I see, never experienced this. Sounds pretty awkward that linux has done something to your network card and you can't get it to work in windows afterwards? First time I've ever read about this problem. Hmm. I wish you luck anyway.

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 22:16
Hmm I see, never experienced this. Sounds pretty awkward that linux has done something to your network card and you can't get it to work in windows afterwards? First time I've ever read about this problem. Hmm. I wish you luck anyway.
aye :"/

SyncError
04-12-05, 22:19
Could you give me your motherboard brand/model and ethernet brand/model?

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 22:22
Could you give me your motherboard brand/model and ethernet brand/model?
Im using my build in motherboard ethernet, Ill get the link
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8I865P-G.htm

Thats my little one

edit:
2,666 posts

Im kinda satanic! wooo

SyncError
04-12-05, 22:29
Okay before you move on to using a different NIC or downloading different drivers the first thing you may want to do is forcing your link speed/duplex mode.

In windows go to the device manager and properties for the NIC.

Change your link speed/duplex mode from "Auto Mode" to 10mbit half (as a test) and 100mbit half, and then 100mbit full.

(this may not be the fix, but its a good first step test while I'm doing some driver research for you. =)

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 22:33
odd, I left it off with the plug out for about 10min
and now it works....

SyncError
04-12-05, 22:37
The latest verion of your NIC driver is: 8.46.4.3 (available here: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do).

Most people have this issue with the latest driver (obtained either through the above website or Windows Update).

Gigabyte still has the old drver linked: 7.24 (availabe here: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8I865P-G.htm)

Everyone I can find with a similiar problem has had better luck with the 7.24 driver than the new driver. They also warned that there is a windows update driver available labeled as 7.24 but with a different checksum than what is available from Gigabyte. I suggest trying both of these drivers and seeing if one gives you more luck than the other.

SyncError
04-12-05, 22:38
odd, I left it off with the plug out for about 10min
and now it works....

Not odd at all, leaving it off for 10 minutes is how long you must leave it for the NIC to reset, but you may continually have the problem and have to turn off for 10 minutes each time you switch back and forth between OS's if you do not fix it.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-12-05, 00:52
Well, with windows working and my NC addiction filled for the day

back to fixing my linux
:)