PDA

View Full Version : Cannot play at Uni

El Barto
04-12-05, 04:14
'Ello,

I am thinking about playing Neocron again, but I am at university now and online gaming seems to be blocked there, I am not sure how they do it but I am guessing they block the ports needed for the games, is there any way to get around this?

Thank you in advance, El Barto

Vice
04-12-05, 04:17
When you start up the launcher goto ---> Config.

Then check the box "Use local port".

See if that helps you, I'm not sure if it will.

Obsidian X
04-12-05, 04:29

The problem you have is the same as mine - your uni blocks pretty much all ports through their firewall. As you have no direct control over the firewall, theres not much you can do other than grovel to your SysAdmin - though to do that you'd need to know the ports you need to unlock (someone said its UDP). Let me know how it turns out cos I'm in the same mess. And I'm missing out on 2.1 because of it. :mad:

El Barto
04-12-05, 05:18

'Ello,

Well I will give that ago when I get back to Uni, at home atm only for the weekend so will try it when I get back Sunday night.

The problem you have is the same as mine - your uni blocks pretty much all ports through their firewall. As you have no direct control over the firewall, theres not much you can do other than grovel to your SysAdmin - though to do that you'd need to know the ports you need to unlock (someone said its UDP). Let me know how it turns out cos I'm in the same mess. And I'm missing out on 2.1 because of it.

hmm, well if that is the case doens any one know what ports I would need to have unblocked? Also how would I go about asking the system administrator to unblock ports on their firewall for gaming :wtf:?

krynstone
04-12-05, 07:56
They might have a cheap firewall setup...try using port 80:)

rob444
04-12-05, 10:02
You could also try that program Reakktor used to have or have on their neocron website, it links neocron to a socks5 server, that worked wonders for me. (Took a few hours to find a FREE socks5 proxy server though :( - found one in china, yay!)

Nidhogg
04-12-05, 15:00
Search Google for a good/free HTTP Tunnel program and/or download SocksCap32. These two will get you in-game from pretty much anywhere.

N

Dribble Joy
04-12-05, 15:09
We used an http tunnel when I was in halls, but they are really iffy. It depends on the level of the firewall the Uni uses. It's quite possible you will never be able to play NC from the uni network.

QuantumDelta
04-12-05, 15:16
We used an http tunnel when I was in halls, but they are really iffy. It depends on the level of the firewall the Uni uses. It's quite possible you will never be able to play NC from the uni network.
I can't :<

landofcake
04-12-05, 16:28
Search Google for a good/free HTTP Tunnel program and/or download SocksCap32. These two will get you in-game from pretty much anywhere.

N

Seeing as you seem to be pretty hot on the subject Nid, i've got a question for you.

My university entirely drops UDP packets at routers, and since Neocron is UDP this seems tricky.

I've tried other things using YourFreedom (A http tunneling program) and FreeCap (better than SocksCAP imo, it has some tricks for tunneling UDP better using SOCKS5) and it doesn't seem to work particularly well.

Can you give me/us any more information on what ports/protocals Neocron uses, and what the 'local port' options are in the client (i don't have the client installed at this moment in time).

rob444
04-12-05, 16:37
Hehe, send TCP packets (so they actually get out from uni) to a server outside which handles them and converts them to UDP and sends them to the nc server and vice versa ^^

Dribble Joy
04-12-05, 16:39
Cheaky!

Would it dent ping though?

Nidhogg
04-12-05, 16:46
Ping is always going to suffer under such circumstances. For a list of which ports need to be open check out the connection issues (http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=85) support page.

N

El Barto
04-12-05, 17:43
'Ello,

Ok thank you for all your advice so far, I go back to University tonight so will give them a try and let you inow if any of them work, I really hope they do.

Obsidian X
04-12-05, 18:00
I'm gonna try tonight as well, and I never spotted that connection trouble page before. I'm also gonna mail the admins with the list of those ports.

Also I've set up a SOCKS5 proxy here just as a failsafe ;)

Thx Nid :p

El Barto
05-12-05, 01:12
'Ello,

I tried that local port setting and didn't seem to work for me :(, I am trying this Socks program Nid suggested, just wonderng does any one know a Socks server I could connect to? I am trying to find one on google atm.

You could also try that program Reakktor used to have or have on their neocron website, it links neocron to a socks5 server, that worked wonders for me. (Took a few hours to find a FREE socks5 proxy server though :( - found one in china, yay!)

Would you be willing to share it with me :rolleyes:.?

landofcake
05-12-05, 21:20
'Ello,

I tried that local port setting and didn't seem to work for me :(, I am trying this Socks program Nid suggested, just wonderng does any one know a Socks server I could connect to? I am trying to find one on google atm.

Would you be willing to share it with me :rolleyes:.?

I'd also be interested in that ...

rob444
05-12-05, 22:14
Hey El Barto, was nice playing with you a long time ago on Pluto (Ice_) ^^. Anyway, no I dont have that server anymore, I found it over 2 years ago I believe. My ISP had a bad router for a few days and my internet was very restricted, I couldn't even access google. So I had to find a socks5 server to play nc trough, worked wonders and not that high ping really which I thought it would be.

I wish you good luck in finding a socks5 server though :Z. I guess I could open one but then I have to have my computer online 24/7 (which I almost have anyway) but it's also a security risk because you shouldn't trust someone hosting a socks5 proxy server here as they can get your nc2 username and password that way :P.

El Barto
05-12-05, 22:47
Hey El Barto, was nice playing with you a long time ago on Pluto (Ice_) ^^. Anyway, no I dont have that server anymore, I found it over 2 years ago I believe. My ISP had a bad router for a few days and my internet was very restricted, I couldn't even access google. So I had to find a socks5 server to play nc trough, worked wonders and not that high ping really which I thought it would be.

I wish you good luck in finding a socks5 server though :Z. I guess I could open one but then I have to have my computer online 24/7 (which I almost have anyway) but it's also a security risk because you shouldn't trust someone hosting a socks5 proxy server here as they can get your nc2 username and password that way :P.

Nice to see you again Ice_, not seen you in a while, what server do you play on now, even if I can't find a socks server I have a three week holiday in two weeks time so will be on then :).

Sex0r the Ice_, if I cannot find a server I can always set my home PC up as a Sock5 server :), only problem is that I won't be home for two weeks now :(. The quest for me to find that socks5 server goes on :P

landofcake
06-12-05, 02:21
Nice to see you again Ice_, not seen you in a while, what server do you play on now, even if I can't find a socks server I have a three week holiday in two weeks time so will be on then :).

Sex0r the Ice_, if I cannot find a server I can always set my home PC up as a Sock5 server :), only problem is that I won't be home for two weeks now :(. The quest for me to find that socks5 server goes on :P

You can run a SOCKS5 server locally coupled with a http tunnel using a program called "Your Freedom".

http://www.your-freedom.net/

El Barto
06-12-05, 05:28
'Ello,

You can run a SOCKS5 server locally coupled with a http tunnel using a program called "Your Freedom".

http://www.your-freedom.net/

Ok thank you for that I link and thank you all for your advice so far, I will give Your-Freedom a try, but I have a few questions. When I am setting it up it asks me what the IP address and Port used for my proxy server is, I think it means the proxy settings normally used for me to browse the net. How would I find these out? I am using Internet Explorer v6, when I go to Tools > Internet Options > Connection > LAN settings in the bottom section called "Proxy server," the check box is not ticked, but above that at the top in the area called "Automatic configuration," both check boxes are ticked. The address listed in the text box for entering the automatic configuration address is http://proxysetup.solent.ac.uk/halls.pac.

I hope this helps some one find out how I can find out what the proxy settings used at this Uni are, I am sure they are using one, in Your-Freedom when I don't enter any proxy settings in it doesn't find any servers to connect to, just keeps searching. Also when I first start up IE after booting my laptop up it does say in the bottom left of IE6 "Detecting Proxy Serrings." Basicly, could some one tell me away to find out how to find out the proxy settings IE6 is using?

Thank you in advance, El Barto.

rob444
06-12-05, 13:29
Nice to see you again Ice_, not seen you in a while, what server do you play on now

I play on Terra now, if you need character names I'll pm them to you :p

Obsidian X
07-12-05, 15:54
After trawling the net for a while, I finally found a working SOCKS proxy in Argentina. Though the ping was awful, thanks to Sockscap, I managed to get in game. Once in game, I had no problems at all, no syncs, no lagouts, and I even participated in an OP fight last night.

El Barto
07-12-05, 16:13
'Ello,

After trawling the net for a while, I finally found a working SOCKS proxy in Argentina. Though the ping was awful, thanks to Sockscap, I managed to get in game. Once in game, I had no problems at all, no syncs, no lagouts, and I even participated in an OP fight last night.

Would you mind sharing it with me? Mainly because I am going to be so board over the weekend here.