PDA

View Full Version : How important are Class and starting Profession?

Koohzan
04-12-05, 02:49
Hi

I've just started playing NC2 on a test account 2 days ago, and I'm wondering about the question in the title.

Lets take the three professions Field Medic, Preacher and Inquisitor for example.
As I see it a Field medic is a healer, an Inqusitor something like a mage and a Preacher something in between.

Now... If I choose Inquisitor at start, but put all my points into passive Psi use, would there be a difference to a Field Medic?
I mean except the few points that are in offence from the start (which even a Field Medic might invest there over time, to be not completely defenseless) - which I could theoretically respec to the same starting stats as a Field Medic gets, but still choose Inquisitor.

And now to even take it a step further.
What if I choose a Psi Monk and Inquisitor, but then use melee combat to level my Strength and not Psi Powers?
Sure at the beginning it will be a pain, but does it make a big difference in the end if I choose Psi Monk or GenTank?
I mean could I get the same strenght level a GenTank can get, or is it capped alot lower?

Shia
04-12-05, 03:11
have a look over this m8 , should help abit http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=130065

Napalm82
04-12-05, 04:26
The Proffesion you choose is only for your starting items/cash and where your starting points have been set by default. (You can change theese as you wish during char. creation) nothing more.

A monk cannot get as high STR as a tank, each class have different max values in their stats.

a Tanks max STR level is 100, a Spy's is STR 40, just check around the forums for a complete list of classes and their max stats.

Good link by the way Shia.

- Nap

/EDIT
About leveling STR on a monk with Melee weapons, also it CAN be done you wont get much xp from it, quite frankly you'd be better off taking damage and doing missions.
/EDIT

Koohzan
04-12-05, 04:33
Yes don't really know how you would get XP for Str on a monk... my monk still has it on level 1, kinda sucks for carrying loot around. How do i get that up?

And thank you both for your answers.

Obsidian X
04-12-05, 04:44
Yes don't really know how you would get XP for Str on a monk... my monk still has it on level 1, kinda sucks for carrying loot around. How do i get that up?

And thank you both for your answers.

People have different ways of levelling STR on a monk. Some say speccing a bit of melee combat and bashing rats works for example.

The way I do it is a combination of missions and CON levelling. When you complete a mission, you get an equal amount of EXP in all skills. So you might get 1500 points in each skill, as opposed to just INT and PSI for killing monsters on a monk.

Also, as a monk, when you take damage, just like your CON (though not as much), you receive a small amount of STR. Not a lot in the early stages, but later on when mobs really hurt, you might find yourself gaining a STR level or two just from taking a beating.

Koohzan
04-12-05, 05:09
Thanks again

sultana
04-12-05, 06:33
About your first question whether by starting as a inquisitor, you can be as good a healer a field medic. Yes you can, all 4 different character classes (Monk, Tank, Spy, Private Eye) start with the same base stats (INT, STR, CON, DEX, PSI) and the same amount of points for subskills no matter what profession you choose. For example all monks will start with 5 PSI and 78 points to spec under that.

The different professions only change the default way the subskills are specced under each of the 5 main stats, the equipment they start off with and their Mr Jones starting quest. So you could spec to be a healer as a Inquisitor and still be one, but you'll start off with attacking spells and no healing ones.

Monks strength in my experience, caps (at 20) at the same time as constitution (at 45) just by levelling normally, as Obsidian X said, you'll level strength just by taking damage. In the high level caves, the type of damage is usually poison, which can't be reduced by shields like the other damage types can, so you'll usually take more damage and therefore cap faster.

a4nic8er
04-12-05, 07:55
Lets take the three professions Field Medic, Preacher and Inquisitor for example.
As I see it a Field medic is a healer, an Inqusitor something like a mage and a Preacher something in between.

Now... If I choose Inquisitor at start, but put all my points into passive Psi use, would there be a difference to a Field Medic?

You can start any of them with the points where you want them (or at their default). The professions have an affect on your Mr. Jones missions, I think.

Field Medic = PPU spell
Inquisitor = APU spell
Preacher = Hybrid (choose which spell)

Dribble Joy
04-12-05, 15:48
Proffession only controls the starter equipment you have and the Mr Jones mission reward you get. Other wise it has no effect. Class sets out the cap levels of you 5 main stats.

PE:
Str - 60
Con - 65
Int - 60
Dex - 80
Psi - 35

Tank:
Str - 100
Con - 100
Int - 20
Dex - 70
Psi - 10