PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Community Talk, why?

Starbuck
03-12-05, 11:16
Yea, read the sticky.

But why the change? How come people who don't have a paid account cannot at the very least read the Community Talk forums? These are by far the most active of the forums, where real issues are read. I mean the majority of the forum doesn't bother reading "New Runner Corner" or whatever, and search is just useless now.

Those of us that are considering buying the game, or coming back for some older users, are to just take it on a whim without even gauging the feel of the commnity? Or in the least gauge it on a very small niche forum (New Runner Corner)?

Is the bandwidth that costly? Or is just more stuff the developers have deemed "paid content" when it's been free, for years now? (from what people ingame have said).

Koast
03-12-05, 13:31
Yea, read the sticky.

But why the change? How come people who don't have a paid account cannot at the very least read the Community Talk forums? These are by far the most active of the forums, where real issues are read. I mean the majority of the forum doesn't bother reading "New Runner Corner" or whatever, and search is just useless now.

Those of us that are considering buying the game, or coming back for some older users, are to just take it on a whim without even gauging the feel of the commnity? Or in the least gauge it on a very small niche forum (New Runner Corner)?

Is the bandwidth that costly? Or is just more stuff the developers have deemed "paid content" when it's been free, for years now? (from what people ingame have said).

It's just more incentive to get a paid account.

Nidhogg
03-12-05, 13:56
The customer forums are only for customers - it's a perk of signing up. Having said that, from now on, all the sticky discussions that used to be in there will now be posted in the Announcements forum so everyone can keep an eye on them. We now allow posting in the announcements forum for customers and registered (i.e. logged in) users.

By far the biggest incentive for us to hide the customer forums totally was the endless supply of emails and PMs from new players wondering why they've been "banned" when all that had happened was that they hadn't read the stickies and tied their accounts. We'd much prefer to avoid annoying our new customers if possible and we believe this gives a good balance between achieving that objective and not alienating our past customers.

N

Jernau2
03-12-05, 14:07
I have to say I think it's unwise. Given the game's reputation people will only assume the worst when they see that.

In other news : congrats KK on getting this out on time and relatively smoothly. I've only had a quick look ingame so far but it did bring back a lot of good memories.

Are there any events planned during this next week? I can't see myself doing much levelling so it would be nice to have something to do other than reminisce.

Hi to any of the old guard still hanging about btw :).

/edit @Nid - That makes sense but it's still a shame IMO. (or maybe I just miss the old place :p)

Nidhogg
03-12-05, 14:21
I'm sure you'll see the player guides & questions forum becoming more populated after the change. People will adapt and there'll still be plenty to see. ;)

N

Koast
03-12-05, 14:23
I'm sure you'll see the player guides & questions forum becoming more populated after the change. People will adapt and there'll still be plenty to see. ;)

N

I didn't even have to adapt myself really. I guess I am just a natural at MMORPG's. If you guys have any questions in particular just PM me. I will see what I can come up with :).

P.S. Omgahz trying to get people to PM me!

Spoon
03-12-05, 19:24
I dont really like the idea...

I think it's gives people the impression, that KK's trying to hide something....

and Hi, Jernau

Spermy
03-12-05, 19:32
I think it may only be the old timers and the jaded who might see it this way. But I also disagree with the move...

Sometimes it's good to see what kind of community your buying into :P

And Long time no see Jernau ;)

Starbuck
04-12-05, 03:23
Yea. Especially for returning vets. If the Community Talk forums are part of your paid account now, which they obviously are since you can't even view them anymore without a paid account, how are people supposed to even view them with a paid account if they've been banned or whatever? Some people have been gone years, you expect them to re-buy the game and make a new game account just to tie it into a new forum account, just so they can properly view the Community Talk forum?

Sorry calling bullshit on this one. This is a deciding factor on whether or not I keep my account after my 10 day trial, the fact it's not hidden when for years, it was not, does not bode well for me as a new customer.

Magic Sausage
04-12-05, 07:09
Yeah I know I will personally miss being able to read the community forums and see what old friends are still playing. I recently had the hassle of 2 weeks worth of pay by cash problems to try to play. You got my money but if you look I didn't even go in game. By the time you guys and pay by cash got stuff sorted out I had already uninstalled neocron 2... AGAIN. Oh well hopefully this decision will be changed and I may once again decide to play neocron.

Nidhogg
04-12-05, 14:40
Go read my explanation again - customer forums are only for customers. Banned users waived their own rights to access these forums at all so they're lucky they can see the forums they can. All the important information is still open to everyone.

N

Starbuck
05-12-05, 00:46
Go read my explanation again - customer forums are only for customers. Banned users waived their own rights to access these forums at all so they're lucky they can see the forums they can. All the important information is still open to everyone.

N

Ah. Well, I shall move along then. Was fun during the trial but I cannot see supporting a company that practicies that kind of business, seems too shady and too disloyal to potential customers.. While I can see not letting people play minus a free trial, it's just morally wrong to withhold vital information. No one discusses the actual community or gameplay in the "free" forums, if you want to find out the real deal you must be a paying customer, in the first place.

Such potential for a great game too. Back to finishing my last four or five days before my free trial runs out.

Magic Sausage
05-12-05, 07:06
I didn't know they were ever for "only" customers. I know they had the rights to post and they only had rights to see what was going on in the test server. I guess I could see who is still on and paying to give me the info on whats going on in game. Too bad banned users and former are being thrown in as the same bunch here. Former users are still wanting to be loyal to the game are given the same punishment of not seeing community forums though.

CarniFlex
05-12-05, 22:10
You missing players so much you have to resort to make em pay to see the good ol' forums?

*sigh*

Nidhogg
05-12-05, 22:46
"Thread" merged.

N

Starbuck
06-12-05, 01:14
You missing players so much you have to resort to make em pay to see the good ol' forums?

*sigh*

Sad ain't it?

Notice they haven't said they have "nothing to hide". By not at the very least making all the forums pubically viewable they obviously either want to hide what real paying customers might or might not be saying about the game, or they haven't gotten off their butts and said "we have nothing to hide".

Nidhogg
06-12-05, 02:21
We have nothing to hide. There, I said it. :p For example, the official bug threads will all be out there in the public announcements forum and that's where all the warts will be noted down and collected. Sure, there might be longer discussions about them in Comm Talk but it's never going to be hidden from the bug thread and it's the paying customers who get the right to discuss those things in depth. Between the three forums that are still open you'll find everything you need to know and we won't try to hide anything.

N

Asurmen Spec Op
06-12-05, 03:41
We have nothing to hide. There, I said it. :p For example, the official bug threads will all be out there in the public announcements forum and that's where all the warts will be noted down and collected. Sure, there might be longer discussions about them in Comm Talk but it's never going to be hidden from the bug thread and it's the paying customers who get the right to discuss those things in depth. Between the three forums that are still open you'll find everything you need to know and we won't try to hide anything.

N
Is it true that
ALIENS
are in KKs hq?

vashtyphoon78
06-12-05, 04:27
(answering the creator of thread)

Because then certain people that didnt like NC, would spam the Com chat with useless bs

Jernau2
06-12-05, 20:10
(answering the creator of thread)

Because then certain people that didnt like NC, would spam the Com chat with useless bs

Read-only access ;).