PDA

View Full Version : Big Fix v2.whatever

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 02:06
OK, since it's just too massive for the forums, I'm following a suggestion, and hosting it externally.

Remember that a lot of it is deeply inter linked, and you need to read the whole thing. Also why I can't post it in parts.

Click. (http://www.live-wyre.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41#41)

It's big, and try to keep an open mind.

Asurmen Spec Op
03-12-05, 02:30
5 stars like the last one

SyncError
03-12-05, 02:35
I actually read the whole thing. You're egging me on to do the same in rebuttal as there is much I both agree and disagree with.

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 02:54
Gimme some examples of what you don't like and I'll try to explain myself.

SyncError
03-12-05, 03:10
Gimme some examples of what you don't like and I'll try to explain myself.

In many cases I don't take issue with your end results. I just think there are more important things such as the path you take to reach those results. My world model would create more definitive roles for the factions, in many cases making "normal gameplay" follow the path of storyline in such a matter that it transforms itself into roleplaying without people even meaning to do so. In the end you're left with characters that you can identify with and RPG immersion becomes natural instead of forced.

In the end its about making the world "make sense" as much as it is about playing the number stats game.

The only section I would even think to pull out of your dissertation might be the WOC skills. I agree with you that the WOC skills should not just become another requirement on items, but I think some of the skills you have chosen are even more powerful and create a larger impact on PvP than the current "rare + WOC req weapon".

Edit: I might add. I think NC2 has made many steps toward exactly the type of world model I'm talking about. The decision to implement FSM is an example of how you can help guide gameplay with storyline. I do not however agree with what all the FSMs currently are selling, but at least the attempt was made and the path has been laid. It just needs to be finished.

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 03:31
Character identification is something that cannot be done soley from a game mechanics or storyline perspective. RP is in more the hands of the player than it is the devs. Previous experience from other games has shown how enforced RP is terrible. There are almost two type of people who play NC, the MMORPGers and the PvPers. Now clearly you have those in between (like myself), but given the nature of this game and it's (intended or otherwise) target audience, character development does not factor in most people's adjendas.

The symp changes are intended to bring a sense of accountability, that you are not a faceless person without ties or consequence for one's actions, which will help, a single char server can also help, but it will only attract those who are willing to play a single class/character or own multiple accounts.

This fix was intended as more of a stat/system rework, than an outline of how the game as a MMORPG should be handled.

As for WoC, remember that all values are nominal. Personally I don't see how Catfall and dual wield would be overpowering, especially the second option for dual wield.

Transformer
03-12-05, 03:45
some good ideas some i think aren't. i don't think KK needs to do a big fix, they need to do things little at a time or they'll fuck it up. your ideas are too "large" to ever go into effect, and there's too many areas in which are too debatable.

Kierz
03-12-05, 07:33
good read :> my eyes / head hurts now tho

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 15:13
some good ideas some i think aren't. i don't think KK needs to do a big fix, they need to do things little at a time or they'll fuck it up. your ideas are too "large" to ever go into effect, and there's too many areas in which are too debatable.
I agree, but it's just a pool of all the things I'd like to happen.

EDIT// Just realised my forum cut off a laod of it. The whole lot is up now.

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 16:14
Forum cut about a third of it off. It's all up there now.

SorkZmok
03-12-05, 16:18
Hey KK, could you please hire DJ?

5 stars.

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 16:46
Imperfect forum history = no job, which is why all applications so far have been turned down. Besides, me and Dirus don't exactly see eye to eye.

sl33py
05-12-05, 11:36
on the cash flow thing, very easy to pass by
" Runners lvl 20 and less are unaffected, runners over lvl 50 have the effects increased 25%" I see a lot of level 20 runners with 20 million cash, one player could have 60 million on the side and one runner he can use to do the rest of his stuff

Dribble Joy
05-12-05, 13:08
The delights of a multi char server....

Spermy
05-12-05, 15:15
The delights of a multi char server....

Make it proportional to what each runner has maybe?

Selendor
05-12-05, 16:22
Good post. Unfortunately there have been thousands of ideas about Neocron, and we don't see very many of them make it ingame.

The part I agree with the most is the thinking of WOC as status with minor advantages rather than a must-have for combat. This is what I had always argued was necessary with rare weapons, to make them cool but not needed to stand a chance against your opponent. This in turn would allow all items to be droppable and that would have negated the need for a Neptune experiment.

I also strongly agree with the need to do something about the Citymercs, but people have been saying that for an awful long time, I just don't think KK are going to change the game mechanics to cater for them :( Its a shame because there is so much potential with the CityMercs.

The idea of more faction specific PA would also be welcome, people need to identify with their factions more, and only the CAPA allows that at present (and gimps the wearer unless they are levelling).

Dribble Joy
05-12-05, 17:04
CAPA is a nice bit of kit on the right setup though. Melee PEs for example, it's energy armour is mad.

As for the cash flow thing, it's a seriously iffy thing, it will either work or it will fail spectacuarly. It's all a suggestion really.

Dirus
06-12-05, 23:14
Besides, me and Dirus don't exactly see eye to eye.

Me and alot of people dont see eye to eye on alot of things.. Means nothing in the long run.

giga191
06-12-05, 23:44
omg hes alive!!!!

anyway, i only skimmed thru it, but i like the idea about the drugs (not being able to take 2-3 and not being able to shake drugflash off with relog)

Dribble Joy
07-12-05, 13:46
I'd prefer the first drug option, not second one being if the relog trick can't be fixed.

Me and alot of people dont see eye to eye on alot of things.. Means nothing in the long run.

Well... means nothing I ever come up with would ever make it ingame ;).

Asurmen Spec Op
07-12-05, 15:05
*gasp*

Youre alive!!!!!!