PDA

View Full Version : Disable Vegatation

forcefullpower
02-12-05, 11:29
I thought this was going to make me come back.

5 - 10 FPS when in grass. Which is most places.As i can't turn vegatation off.
Otherwise i get 40 FPS Anywhere else.

If you don;t give us the ability to turn vegatation off.
You have lost a returning costomer straight away as i can't play the game.

I run a GeForce 5200 128MB, No i'm not going to buy a new graphics card just to play the game. when this works fine with all other games. And i was able to run NC2 with vegatation off smoothly

Eckhart
02-12-05, 13:03
How odd...I get no FPS loss from vegetation.

nabbl
02-12-05, 13:04
i got no problems at all

Matthew.v.smith
Geforce 5200....
What are your PC specs?

Tbh get a more up to date 3D card anyway man, not just for Neocron but any game would benefit from it, 6600GT is a good step.

M.

Edit - and I get 30 to 40 FPS in vegitation with 4x Anti Aliasing and 16x Anisotropic Filtering.

Skusty
Put the Vegview on low so you only se the grass that is 1feet fowards.

Comie
02-12-05, 13:08
i like the vegatation, means more acutal skill at hiding and proves to be more cover.

No disable pls

and i have about 76 FPS out in the wastelands... not frame loss whatsoever

LTA
02-12-05, 13:15
Geforce 5200....
What are your PC specs?

Tbh get a more up to date 3D card anyway man, not just for Neocron but any game would benefit from it, 6600GT is a good step.

lol sure he said he wasn't buying one

Not everyone can afford mmo's and new hardware and he said his other games ran fine of it.

All else i can say is turn up the fog and turn down the level of detail.

Argent
02-12-05, 14:24
Hear hear. On the unpatched version my dx9 performed generally better than dx7, on the new 2.1 client, dx9 is totally unplayable, especially outdoors.

And where fuck did the gamma correction go?

Matthew.v.smith
02-12-05, 14:31

Not everyone can afford mmo's and new hardware and he said his other games ran fine of it.

He doesent mention what "Other" games he plays, and many people have different oppinions on what "Good" performance is.
All i'm saying is the 5200 went out long ago, even if you only pay a very small amount for a betterish card or go for something higher range, it's going to make a massive improvement over that card.

J J
02-12-05, 14:48
I switched from a 5200 to a 6600GT a few months ago and saw almost no difference in fps or anything else for that matter. I'm gonna have to buy a new cpu if I want to play this game anymore which is a bit O_o I'm currently using an amd 2200xp, 1 gig ram, which was fine throughout nc1 and nc2 but now.... if I enter an opzone I dop to about 5-10 fps which is unplayable and thats with no other people, plasma burts, dev trails etc etc. And yeah I have detail and distance on minimum and fog set to a lovely grey screen about 3 inches from my character. What possible good is all the lovely new vegetation if I can't see it for the grey fog I have to surround myself with in order to get the game running smoothly.....

Mr Kot
02-12-05, 14:54

I run a GeForce 5200 128MB, No i'm not going to buy a new graphics card just to play the game. when this works fine with all other games. And i was able to run NC2 with vegatation off smoothlyYou got the same gfx card as me, Force. In F11 there is an option to reduce your vegetation distance, so it only renders close up. I get at least 15 - 20 FPS in grass. As for processor, i have an AMD 2400+

Could it be some graphics card setting that needs changing? or drivers? Afaik, there are drivers available from www.nvidia.co.uk that are new this month.

Matthew.v.smith
02-12-05, 14:55
I switched from a 5200 to a 6600GT a few months ago and saw almost no difference in fps or anything else for that matter. I'm gonna have to buy a new cpu if I want to play this game anymore which is a bit O_o I'm currently using an amd 2200xp, 1 gig ram, which was fine throughout nc1 and nc2 but now.... if I enter an opzone I dop to about 5-10 fps which is unplayable and thats with no other people, plasma burts, dev trails etc etc. And yeah I have detail and distance on minimum and fog set to a lovely grey screen about 3 inches from my character. What possible good is all the lovely new vegetation if I can't see it for the grey fog I have to surround myself with in order to get the game running smoothly.....

Yeah that's why I asked the other guy for his Specs.
The 2200XP bottlenecks your 6600GT, I know because my 3000XP bottlenecks it too, I saw a relatively cheap X800XT and got that and am planning on upgrading to a Amd 64 3200 939 to compliment it.
For your information, upgrading to a 3000XP would be perfect for NC if that's all you plan to play, I get almost constant 60 fps and with Evo I barely drop below 40 (30 with shrubbery) but generally it's a nice smooth 50ish (that's with AA 4x and AF 16x)

M.

forcefullpower
02-12-05, 15:07
I have an AMD 64 3000+
1GB Ram - DDR 3200
200GB Sata Drive 8MB Cache
With the 5200 GeForce.

NC2 with vegatation off i could run the game at 1280 x 1024 at good frame rate.

Now i can't even run it at 1024 x 768 with everything at low detail. Fog distance makes no difference to fps on my machine

All i want is to turn off the vegation completely so i can play the game.
You are forceing to go play WoW again because at least i get a constant 20 -to 40 FPS and is playable.

This a seriously big issue. You could force a lot of people away. Some people don;t have the money to buy good spec machine with expensive graphics cards.

Asurmen Spec Op
02-12-05, 15:17
P4 3.0 GHz
2.5GB of ram
Radeon X850

Im getting BETTER frames in the wastes with full fog and veg then I was without any veg in NC2 normally

Matthew.v.smith
02-12-05, 15:32
I have an AMD 64 3000+
1GB Ram - DDR 3200
With the 5200 GeForce.

Now i can't even run it at 1024 x 768 with everything at low detail. Fog distance makes no difference to fps on my machine

You are forceing to go play WoW again because at least i get a constant 20 -to 40 FPS and is playable.

This a seriously big issue. You could force a lot of people away. Some people don;t have the money to buy good spec machine with expensive graphics cards.

But the machine you have is good, it's just that card...

CMaster
02-12-05, 15:42
Im getting BETTER frames in the wastes with full fog and veg then I was without any veg in NC2 normally

Same. And I'm running Athlon XP2200+, 768mb PC2700, Radeon 9800Pro.

LuCiD
02-12-05, 15:44

Quoted for truth.

Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0->2.5ghz
Radeon 9600 330->450mhz
1G PC3200 200-225mhz

Riddle
02-12-05, 15:52
Dare i quote again :rolleyes:
ahh SEX

SO TRUE!

I got 40FPS+ :D dam it looks good

Athlon XP2800, 1GB DDR , 9800 PRO

Matthew.v.smith
02-12-05, 16:09
I'm getting less in the wastes than I was, but it runs so well that I dont mind anyway, considering how bad it was in places like Blakmist Garbage dump (1 fps with Veg on due to the swaying grass) 30 to 40 FPS with Grass and tree's is just the sex0r.

Amd Athlon 3000XP
AIW x800xt 256
1.5 gig DDR 2700

PsionicBuddha
02-12-05, 16:55
I am getting better FPS on my GeForce 6800 128mb, 512RAM & 2.2G CPU.

naimex
02-12-05, 16:59
P4 3.0 GHz
2.5GB of ram
Radeon X850

P4 2.4 Ghz
2 gb ram
GeForce FX 5200

slight FPS drop (about 5-10 less than before in NC2 with vegetation disabled before and max everything now).

Odin
02-12-05, 17:48
Just out of curiosity. Those that are taking a large hit. What version drivers are installed? Have you updated your motherboard drivers.......ever? Also what kind of programs are you running in the background? Do you have anti-virus ala Norton's/McAfee etc running in the background?

Tratos
02-12-05, 17:56
tbh..

Odin
02-12-05, 17:58
Also just did a quick look at the online store I usually shop from. The comments about the various 5200 cards was that they were incredibly poor in DX9. Seems like it was built for DX8.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=717661&threadid=717661&forum=101&product_id=13346&msgcount=7&overclockid=0#msg717661

krynstone
02-12-05, 18:17
DONT remove grass....I am enjoying the new grass as it makes sniping actually possible. People actually have to hunt you down now. I love it. I only play a sniper (Hightech rifler/hacker). This is the way the game should be. Everyone should see the same thing. You may see less far or more depending on fog etc...but what you can see should be the same for fairness sake. And the grass/veg makes for a more realistic world

naimex
02-12-05, 18:43
Also just did a quick look at the online store I usually shop from. The comments about the various 5200 cards was that they were incredibly poor in DX9. Seems like it was built for DX8.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=717661&threadid=717661&forum=101&product_id=13346&msgcount=7&overclockid=0#msg717661

a lot of my friends and people I know have said many negative things about the fx 5200s, but I donīt really have any problems with it.

Only really new games using the absolutely latest technology like pixel shader 3.0c and all those things that require the absolute newest cards, i cant play because it simply cant use the technology required, but besides that i have absolutely nothing to complain about, its a really good card considering its age.

forcefullpower
02-12-05, 18:48
A mate has got the same card but his has faster ramdacs and also has 2 video card outputs.

I have must got a cut down version or something.

Mine was OEM and not a manufacture like PYN or XFX

Mr Kot
02-12-05, 18:52
But the machine you have is good, it's just that card...I have the same card. I bought it second hand from a friend so i know it's not the very latest, and i know there are better cards out there and that other NC players get far better FPS than i do. Having said that, i am getting better FPS than Forcefullpower is and the game is by no means unplayable for me, so something else does seem to be wrong. Odin also mentioned drivers as i did on an earlier post, so that's the only next step i can think of.

I have noticed that DX9 is very memory hungry. Even with my 1GB of RAM, i had to restart my client due to memory leaks about every half hour of gameplay. In DX7, i only had to restart about once a night. Last night i lost count. So any other programs running in the background really do need to be considered.

Scanner Darkly
02-12-05, 19:24
No problems here with AIW 9800SE 128MB. fps around 25-35 in grassy/veggy areas, but have veg on medium and max resolution.

It's unfortunate that the game is too slow for you, but I would draw a picture of a x800 or something for Santa anyway...

-FN-
02-12-05, 20:11
I have an AMD 64 3000+
1GB Ram - DDR 3200
With the 5200 GeForce.

I have an Athlon 3000+ (not a 64), 1GB of DDR400 in DCM, a 2 SATA drives in a 500gb RAID 0, and a GeForce3 Ti500. Yes, a GeForce3. In DirectX 9, I was driving around the wastelands last night and flying around in a glider with all the settings maxed... I never slipped under 30fps.

What OS are you using? Do you have Antivirus? It sounds to me, judging by the fact that 98.5% of the rest of the community has either huge improvements or no change (because their systems are ridiculous to start with :p), that your system has got a kink in it somewhere...

What drivers are you using? What version of DirectX?

Here's what I'd do:

- Install the newest WHQL Forceware Drivers from guru3d.com (http://downloads.guru3d.com/). I'd try a 32-bit set AND a 64-bit set. There might be compatibility issues there.
- Re-install DirectX 9.0c (http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html) to make sure your install is 100% intact.
- Install NC2 with the new, CLEAN client. Dump the old installation.

It's a bit of work, I know - but if those are your system specs and your performance is that bad - you have a technical issue somewhere. I'm leaning towards a driver version with your 64-bit processor, but it's just a pure guess.
-

Logan_storm_03
02-12-05, 20:14
my computer runs better on the wasteland with veg on medium than before with it off completely.

-FN-
02-12-05, 20:16
A mate has got the same card but his has faster ramdacs and also has 2 video card outputs.

I have must got a cut down version or something.

Mine was OEM and not a manufacture like PYN or XFX
Sorry to double-post, but DUH - I just remembered why I use my GeForce3. Because I have a Jaton 5200 sitting on my desk here and it SUCKED. Seriously, everything was just overall worse. I went back to my GF3 and the 5200 just sits here. Heh, can't believe I forgot that :rolleyes:

Seven
02-12-05, 20:17
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, revision 1.02, Socket 939
Bios revision, 1013
nForce 4 SLI chipset
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Newcastle) stock 2400mhz
Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, 256 GDDR3, PCIe
2Gb of PC3200 Kingston KVR400 DDR
Maxtor 200Gb DiamondMax Plus Serial ATA/150
Thermaltake Silent PurePower Series 560W PSU
LG DVDRW, Pioneer DVD player
Teac 3.5 floppy (WOOHOO!)
WinXP Home, SP1
Lian-Li Aluminum midtower case

Runs fine with everything maxed everywhere, but the graphics in this game shouldn't need a machine like this to run at those settings.

joran420
02-12-05, 21:00
My performance is better than before(even though before i had veg off)

Im using an ati 9500 PRO (wich is a kinda outdated card and a 2.4 ghtz P4 with 756 mb ram and im gettign pretty damn good FPS everywhere

yavimaya
02-12-05, 21:31

LOL, yea, but what he doesnt tell us, is that all his other games are older than neocron, or he runs them with everything on lowest, and probably still only gets 25fps on them.

LuCiD
02-12-05, 23:24
If you get a major frame drop with a 5200, have you tried running in DX7 mode? Because the DX9 support in the 5200 series is just a hack anyway.

eprodigy
03-12-05, 02:53
my fps drops from a steady 60ish FPS in wastes to 25-35 in vegetated areas.

no i dont have the latest GFX card, but ive never needed one before. i have a geforce 128mb six-thousand and something or other..

let me turn it off...

vashtyphoon78
03-12-05, 02:55
Ohh yes KK Change it for ONE returning customer when the rest of us have ABSOULUTELY no problems with FPS when in grass!! oh yes!!! (FEEEEL the sarcasm)

eprodigy
03-12-05, 03:04
its never going to be just one, I know a few people mentioned issues in game with it.

no one will come play the game for some forced weeds, but people will leave if it hurts the gameplay... just my thought. if they can make it smooth for everyone fine

Koast
03-12-05, 14:06

(disclaimer: did not read any replies.)

I would hate to be one of those people to be honest. Ever, since I acquired cable modem back in the day. I just cannot stand to be in the "stone age" so to speak anymore. I have to have at least the "required specs" for any game I play.

Sammson
03-12-05, 15:22
2 ghz pentium
ATI 9600 pro 128mb
512 mb ram

The grass used to stop the card dead. Now it's fine, full detail, veg and min fog gives me 25 fps, on a dinosaur system really. The additional strategy provided by some cover (finally) adds emmensly to the atmosphere and gameplay ( if that's possible in a game with the best gameplay already).

But yeah, if this old system does this well, you guys with fresher machines must have a configuration problem somewhere, me thinks.

Dribble Joy
03-12-05, 15:29
If you have problems with it, you can set it to minimum, where you only see the veg up to about 10 feet away.

Spermy
03-12-05, 15:31

I run a GeForce 5200 128MB, No i'm not going to buy a new graphics card just to play the game. when this works fine with all other games. And i was able to run NC2 with vegatation off smoothly

Dude - what the hell?! Minesweeper must fry your system. As it was - NC was a drain on the card. You can't request that people just disregard the tech curve just to please low end users.

I find thier rework works quite well , and have even noticed an improvement in thier graphics.

Now to read the rest of the thread and addd to this post :P If these are answered further on i'll remove them again - as it is i'm reading through and replying as i go.

And where fuck did the gamma correction go?

Desktop Properties - settings - advanced - card control. If it's any cop, you'll have colour correction there. otherwise get used to it - all it requires is a bit more effort to see things. It's not overly difficult finding things. :p

Just out of curiosity. Those that are taking a large hit. What version drivers are installed? Have you updated your motherboard drivers.......ever? Also what kind of programs are you running in the background? Do you have anti-virus ala Norton's/McAfee etc running in the background?

That's a point - I run McAffee - and am still getting a good FPS... Wonder what happens when I turn it off?

For the inevitable rant about Firewalls - if you haven't been on the pr0n sites or being a naughty boy - it's rare that you'll actually encounter any issues with the firewall down for a couple of hours :p

in response to the inevitable " I play longer than a few hours a day" GET A LIFE! :p

LOL, yea, but what he doesnt tell us, is that all his other games are older than neocron, or he runs them with everything on lowest, and probably still only gets 25fps on them.

Ya ya ya - I have a better computer IR teh PWN! :rolleyes:

Just because he's got problems there's no need to take the piss! ;)

LiL T
06-12-05, 13:36
I run on a GEFORCE4 TI 4200 old card now, I went into the settings for my card and turned off everything related better quality V-sync the lot, also setting it to run at best proformace. I set my monitor to run at 1024 x 768 16 bit colour same as I have my game running, I also set the moniter refresh rate to the highest supported for that screen res. Ingame I set veg distance to closest to the left and the same with level of detail, I reloged and got a nice suprize. 125 FPS tops when there are no trees etc, 80 - 65 FPS in normal areas with no one around and in lush green areas 25 - 40 FPS and it still feels smooth as hell.

This is with force fog turned all the way off to the far right, the game still looks great and PVP does not lag or stutter out in the wastes like it did befor. Imo the game is alot more stable, play with your card settings it makes a big difference when done right, at maxed out card settings I will only get 3 - 5 FPS in the wastes.

The sort of FPS I get now ingame outside are in the screenshot and this is with an older comp and card, befor patch I'd never get that with veg on it be more like 5 fps. Also this shot shows a mob I never seen befor and it drops metal plates \o/

/edit first screen is with RPOS open and that lowers FPS second screen is without it open and I gets a nice 41 FPS notice my water has no reflections. Not sure if my card even supports that feature but not that I care since it would kill my FPS

[TgR]KILLER
06-12-05, 14:27
veg doesn't make me lose fps at all.. i still get 40/50ish fps out in the wasteland with distance on max and veg distance halfway as detail to.

amd 2200 @ 2800 and just 512 mb ddr.. + 6800GT

Ya ya ya - I have a better computer IR teh PWN! :rolleyes:

Just because he's got problems there's no need to take the piss! ;)

it wasn't taking the piss he was doing.. its true they guy says he can run everything fine on his 5200 card only nc aint.. but yea if all other games are ut and q3 then i aint supirsed he can run those.. but if he would play q4 or cod2 or something the card would fry.

xyl_az
06-12-05, 19:26
oh dear, my fps are cut in a half when entering open area (from 40-50 to 20-25), which wouldnt be that bad actually, but it seems i'm getting some additional 0.3-0.5 sec lag while turning around - probably slow-ass memory or something like that.
The real problem though is that my system spec arent really that bad: p4@2.8; 1500+ RAM (old one, thats true), ati x1800.
Something's wrong here.

Spermy
06-12-05, 19:32
Right there with ya.

ThrillHousE
06-12-05, 19:44
I set the vegetation on my Notebook to low. and i can't say that i have less fps then before. but the wastes are looking much better though! I love the vegetation and would like to play with full, but my notebook cant handle it ;)

Toxen
06-12-05, 19:48
Aye alot of stuff has been shifted to more reliance on the Dx9 aspect of the engine so less trouble should be caused.

Argent
06-12-05, 21:42
Aye alot of stuff has been shifted to more reliance on the Dx9 aspect of the engine so less trouble should be caused.

All I can say : LOL.

Wonder if this post is long enough already? It should be. At least by now.

sultana
07-12-05, 02:30
Eh, like most other people, if anything evo 2.1 improved my performance of Neocron. I can walk/drive around the waste almost at a constant 62fps, Vegetation or not. If anything I want there to more of it around, cause you'll notice when you drive around the wastes it's in large square patches.

System is: Athlon 3000+ Barton, 6600GT, 1GB of Ram and some 3-4 year old 40GB Maxtor Harddrive.

I updated all my drivers about 4-5 months ago (Had to cause I formatted).

Brammers
07-12-05, 02:48
Likewise, Evo 2.1 is faster.

Before Evo 2.1 with everything on Max, 25 FPS outside in K14. Yes thats with veg on.

After Evo 2.1 with everything on Max, 70 FPS outside in K14.

Specs: AMD 3500+, Geforce 7800 GT, 2 gig memory.

Freaky Fryd
07-12-05, 03:45
My powerhouse:

Athlon Tbird 1.3GHz
1GB PC133 SDRAM
GeForce 440MX

Remember that next time I kill one you :P

I notice almost no difference in fps since the new patches...although some
OPs already dropped me to 5-9fps anyway :P
Usually, I get 15-20fps, except in Plaza sectors and near some OPs.
When DOY Raiding I get 20-30fps

Fear my awesome computing power! :lol: