PDA

View Full Version : Trial for non Credit Card users?

General Crazy
01-12-05, 20:52
Will there be a point when there will be a trial available to no Credit Card users.

I payed for my NC1 account as the PayByCash option.

The cost to purchase NC2 is still quite high plus the extra Fees of PayByCash.

I would like to see how NC2 has changed since it beta before I go spending a large sum a cash on it.

Will there be a public non Credit Card trial or some kind of trial for old NC1 players that doesn't require a Credit Card?

LuCiD
02-12-05, 02:07
You can buy a boxed version for $17usd shipped, then email account@neocron.com for help with paying monthly with paybycash with a boxed copy.

But support KK and buy it online for full price. :D

My guess is there will never be a trial for non-credit card users...as that is just a completely free trial open to everyone and their dog...for multiple accounts, which never turns out well.

Koast
02-12-05, 02:23
My guess is there will never be a trial for non-credit card users...as that is just a completely free trial open to everyone and their dog...for multiple accounts, which never turns out well.

I happen to agree with this theory. Never has been a non-credit card trial for this game. Same goes for most other MMORPG's. To many people have abused the non-credit card trials to a large extent. That's why most companies now require a CC to register a trial account.

General Crazy
02-12-05, 03:31
There is only so much screenshots can impress me I like to see first hand if Neocron 2 is worth the purchase.

It's the same as buying a car you are not going to buy a new car just by looking at it, you are going to want to test drive that car first.

A lot of companies have limited time trials that don't require a Credit Card, I am sure it is possible to do that for a short period of time is it not?

joran420
02-12-05, 03:34
There is only so much screenshots can impress me I like to see first hand if Neocron 2 is worth the purchase.

It's the same as buying a car you are not going to buy a new car just by looking at it, you are going to want to test drive that car first.

A lot of companies have limited time trials that don't require a Credit Card, I am sure it is possible to do that for a short period of time is it not?

TBH I cant think of a Single MMORPG(not web based) that gives you a free trial without needing a CC...

General Crazy
02-12-05, 03:41
TBH I cant think of a Single MMORPG(not web based) that gives you a free trial without needing a CC...

Eve and SWG have both done it in the past

Starbuck
02-12-05, 04:32

City of Heroes
Star Wars Galaxies
Shadowbane
World of Warcraft
Anarchy Online
Rose Online
Asherons Call
EVE Online

All of those have at least some point, had a free trial online, that did not require a credit card. The main way they got around it was limitations. Usually when registering, you could not use free domains like hotmail.com or yahoo.com to register. As said you could just then register an infinite amount of trials. With limiting emails and such, you would need more work to find other domains that would be allowed (if you were going to mass spam registration). Some guys (like WoW) gave you alot of freedom, but limited your capabilities. A low level cap, no usage of player-to-player trading, no auction house, low cap on amount of money you could have. You got your trials worth but you couldn't also really use those trials for anything more than running around the first twenty levels.

Other games even hand out free trials in stores. Walk into most major retailers now and you can pick up a free installation cd for City of Heroes. The entire game for free on disc with a 14 day free trial.

The days of requiring a credit card, debit card, etc for a free online trial, are over. If I choose not to play a game, I don't want that company (or a third party if they use one) to retain or even know my credit card information. If I choose to continue after a trial, then is the time the company should recieve my credit card information.

phall
02-12-05, 20:46
You don't need a CC for the DAoC-trial (GOA), too.

So do I need a CC for the new Neocron trial or not? Didn't find reliable info...
This is something that should be clear to see for everyone before downloading a huge game client players without a CC won't be able to use.

joran420
02-12-05, 20:49
no you dont need a CC if you had a newocron 2 acct in the past for the 14day trial

for the 10day new user trial you do need a CC

[edit] I coulda sworn the WoW trial required a CC

phall
02-12-05, 21:20
Okay, thanks joran420.

n3m
02-12-05, 22:18
Uhm, I'm paying without a CC with PBC. It allows bank transfers.

Or am I missing something here?
//edit
Ah I remember now, that's the game included yeah.

joran420
03-12-05, 00:33
hes asking about the free trial not paying for the game

Asurmen Spec Op
03-12-05, 01:49
My friend just needed my CC for his wow trial......

Starbuck
03-12-05, 11:31
My friend just needed my CC for his wow trial......

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Like the big trial for WoW at the moment, is the downloaded trial client from Fileplanet.com. That one requires a CC.

But like, old issues of CGW or other gaming magazines that had demo discs for it at one point, don't require a CC for the trial. Mainly cause those publications gave a portion of the sales of that particular issue to Blizzard.

My WoW trial, just a generic trial key from a Collecters Edition of a friend, required a CC. However the CC is pointless in a WoW trial. You're limited to 10 days, and once your trial ends no matter what, your CC is not charged. Still have to purchase a copy of the retail game, and enter that cd key to unlock your trial account into a full account then pick a payment type. Plus you can use the same CC to register multiple trials (used my same CC to use three WoW trials, not all for myself btw), so it's like a pointless thing. You're never charged unless you go buy the game.

But even without WoW as an example there's still half a dozen+ major MMO's that do not require a CC for a trial. As said you should give that information out if you choose to continue playing not to use it for 7/10/14 days (with no guarantee you'll play more than once or at all in those time periods).

Koast
03-12-05, 13:30

(disclaimer: did not read any replies after this post.)

However, you do need some kind of credit to be able to test drive a car at many car dealerships. Without credit they will turn you down.

Starbuck
03-12-05, 16:41
(disclaimer: did not read any replies after this post.)

However, you do need some kind of credit to be able to test drive a car at many car dealerships. Without credit they will turn you down.

Except a car is a tangible object. An MMO is just a license, or subscription have you, to use the service (i.e. game world) and play the game. You do not own the characters, items, or even the account, just the right (at the developers choice) to use the service, which obviously itself can be terminated at any point they choose.

Only thing tangible out of it would be a legal receipt you could request/get for the transaction of money exchanging hands.