PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Too [edited] dark

hinch
01-12-05, 19:34
OK they've removed the gamma option and left just brightness

now i've got brightness turned upto max but everything is black almost still can hardly see shit.

also text in pre game bits is impossible to read in 1600x1200 now its so dark

Vae Victis
01-12-05, 19:35
poor you

DaFire
01-12-05, 19:39
try to make it brighter in the windows display settings if you can't get it bright enough with the ingame slider

hinch
01-12-05, 19:43
maxed out everything including windows settings and monitor settings still too dark though its playable i suppose now just need to concentrate to see shit

YoDa-UK
01-12-05, 19:49
Hinch, if all else fails try downloading and using powerstrip ? tbh i find the new artwork and settings so far to be great, just cant get ingame yet for some reason, servers still down?

[TgR]KILLER
01-12-05, 19:58
yup they made the game alot darker.. but then again it add's stuff to the game to.. dark places actually being dark... maybe use a flashlight ? :)

Clayton
01-12-05, 22:03
try to make it brighter in the windows display settings if you can't get it bright enough with the ingame slider

how'd u do that in windows display setting coz mine way too dark

-FN-
01-12-05, 23:09
But what if our Windows display settings are fine o_O I don't think it's right that we should have to mess with out general display settings to make the game look right... The attached image is daytime with the brightness ALL the way up. I'm not going to blind myself in windows so the game is bright enough.

That image should be with the brightness slider around 70%, methinks.

Notice the Fog distance is all the way up as well... if I were a sniper, I'd be able to use 1/10th of my rifle's range... I might have dreamed this, but I thought that was being addressed? *shrug*

MrDomino
01-12-05, 23:11
The game is supposed to be really dark, people hiding in the shadows. It's not supposed to be so that you can see every little patch of ground and every little corner

Toxen
01-12-05, 23:13
Yes really dark in the middle of a desert at high noon, that makes perfect sense.

Tikuto
01-12-05, 23:45
Want to buy:
Nightvision

SovKhan
01-12-05, 23:51
gammma is fine on my comp. ionno

Dade Murphey
01-12-05, 23:52
If you have an nvidia card...set up a custom profile to kick in when you lauch the nc .exe file...I hadda do that with bf1942...works great

SovKhan
01-12-05, 23:53
that might be why i have an ATI card.

Selendor
02-12-05, 00:22
I'm in two minds about this, I kind of agree that at night time it should be hard to see (although the torch is doing nothing in the wastelands, I checked) - it makes it more realistic.

That said, I've been running around, and my character is super bright, so is certain trees and barrels, and yet things like the outpost floors and structures are virtually black - it doesn't look right at all.

Oh, and setting a custom display profile for Neocron when I've never needed to do that for any other game is not right either.

Spoon
03-12-05, 19:53
It seems to be a problem with some moniters not having a large enough brightness range...

I had the same problem, I tried everything(video settings).

I noticed when I piped the video out to the TV, I could adjust the brightness high enough.
So I tried 3 differant moniters, my main one(19"CRT) was too dark, a 17" CRT was sightly better, probably playable, and a 19" LCD worked fine(brightness wise), but for other reasons I cant use it...

I just ended installing Powerstrip, and it worked a like a charm..

So if your still having problems, hincheh, try Powerstrip...

or buy a new moniter.... :lol:

HeavyLoad
03-12-05, 19:59
unlucky hinch you northern scum :D

hinch
03-12-05, 21:23
considering i'm using a top nacker iiyama 22" i aint exactly gonna be going out buying a new monitor just cos kk removed nc's gamma correct.

every other game runs fine just nc that the problem is with. I dont see whats wrong with just adding a gamma correct again or at least triple the amount of light sources in game

BlackDove
03-12-05, 21:50
Someone on the forums mentioned that they opened some file and just changed the gamma value.

Not sure if that's allowed or even possible, but it's what I read.

Agent L
04-12-05, 00:31
file "neocron.ini" in your game root dir.
line:
GAMMA = "1.1"
1.1 was default for me. I changed it to 1.3 and it worked.

there is another gamma in file "detail.ini" inside "ini" dir:

[MISC]
Gamma=1.00
Brightness=1.00
Contrast=1.00

Gamma setting here looks like in direct conflict with gamma in main .ini, haven't touched it thou.

retr0n
04-12-05, 02:04
This is what I get alot of the time:
http://foppa.cse.kau.se/mm12/tmp/darkness.jpg

It seems to happend alot when it's turning into nighttime, then after a little while
it becomes just dark, but not pitch black, just enough to actually see the terrain,
but still very dark, and that's with brightness up top.

And there is no way i'm messing with my windows setting in order to get a
game working.

Toxen
04-12-05, 02:13
now if i rember my neocron files rightly detail.ini didn't exist pre patch perhaps thats where KK moved some of the options that they pulled from F11

edit: On taking a look at the file it appears so must be the hardcopy of the F11 options

Toxen
04-12-05, 02:24
file "neocron.ini" in your game root dir.
line:
GAMMA = "1.1"
1.1 was default for me. I changed it to 1.3 and it worked.

there is another gamma in file "detail.ini" inside "ini" dir:

[MISC]
Gamma=1.00
Brightness=1.00
Contrast=1.00

Gamma setting here looks like in direct conflict with gamma in main .ini, haven't touched it thou.

Agent L i assume you were making ur ini files read-only otherwise neocron automatically returns them to GAMMA = "1.1" and
[MISC]
Gamma=1.00
Brightness=1.00
Contrast=1.00

on further experimentation the second file is overidden by the first, and you cannot make the first read only as it causes neocron to not run, so all in all there was no gamma change for you it was all in your head

On tweaking the ingame settings and looking at the results in the file, the value labeled gamma in the second file is for the brightness slider. soo going to tweak other settings see if their actually gamma

nop no effect with putting all the settings on 2.0 and the file to read only, u can see neocron overide them and drop them back as u switch from loading screen to actual ingame

Toxen
04-12-05, 02:38
This is gettin weirder, even though that second file is linked to the brightness slider, the game retains what the slider was set at some where else other than that file. and its not neocron.ini either hmm i wonder could it be registry values

I think i might have it figured give me a second to double check if i can force it above the max slider value, btw brightness in game should be labeled gamma

edit: scratch that didn't work. back to registry values checking

Toxen
04-12-05, 03:25
omgxplosion

giga191
04-12-05, 04:23
buy a new PC ;)

Mr Kot
04-12-05, 04:24
A few screenies
That's pretty much what i see on my screen. Looks fine to me.

Some areas are meant to look gloomy. The NPCs are still perfectly visible, as are other runners and mobs etc.

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 05:31
Omg That Stripper In Pp3 Is Whiter Then My Skin!

Kierz
04-12-05, 08:14
detail.ini was definately there before 2.1 cause I made backups of my ini folder a long time ago =]

I think NC may have a problem if you try and set the gamma setting over 1.0 (or 1.1?) either way it seems a lower made it brighter for me, try this:

[MISC]
Gamma=0.33
Brightness=0.29
Contrast=0.28

oh and make the file read-only, nc likes to change it back to 1.0 for me :p

Agent L
04-12-05, 12:25
Agent L i assume you were making ur ini files read-only otherwise neocron automatically returns them to GAMMA = "1.1" and

Nope, mine does not. It's still 1.3 gamma as I typed in, and yes, it was a noticeable boost of brightness when I ran nc after I changed it, so it's not in my head.
Maybe you are editing .ini while neocron is runnig, and it saves back to current 1.1 on exiting?

Toxen
04-12-05, 13:57
detail.ini was definately there before 2.1 cause I made backups of my ini folder a long time ago =]

I think NC may have a problem if you try and set the gamma setting over 1.0 (or 1.1?) either way it seems a lower made it brighter for me, try this:

[MISC]
Gamma=0.33
Brightness=0.29
Contrast=0.28

oh and make the file read-only, nc likes to change it back to 1.0 for me :p

Had it read only and gamma set to 5.0 make not a bit of difference still overides it

Toxen
04-12-05, 14:15
Nope, mine does not. It's still 1.3 gamma as I typed in, and yes, it was a noticeable boost of brightness when I ran nc after I changed it, so it's not in my head.
Maybe you are editing .ini while neocron is runnig, and it saves back to current 1.1 on exiting?

Figured out why neocron.ini was reseting i was using a batch file to launch neocron with my multi account setups, so it was overwriting it

anyway manually launching and testing, changing the gamma in neocron.ini it has no affect to the ingame gamma, it may appear to have changed the gamma on the loading screens but thats all if u sit there when load up a char u see it jump to a darker setting for ingame. I've done this by setting the value to to 0.2 and 1.9, there is no appreciable difference.

SnAkE_BE
04-12-05, 18:06
whats up with the darkness everywhere. it isn't fun driving around at night without any headlights or anything drivering into every pool on your way. or trying to climb on the lader at gaya mine and then discovering that ur not even close to the ladder but in the middle of 15641236876351 copbots

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 18:08
whats up with the darkness everywhere. it isn't fun driving around at night without any headlights or anything drivering into every pool on your way. or trying to climb on the lader at gaya mine and then discovering that ur not even close to the ladder but in the middle of 15641236876351 copbots
The game is in a post apocolypic(I spelled that bad) world!
Its not BRIGHT AND PINK
its DARK
and you just MIGHT walk into a trap and get seriously owned.
I died in gaya mines too, I had to jump down in 2nd zone, I couldnt see the ladder, missed and died.

And it happens, personally, I think the darkness is good.
and they should remove the gama tweaks for the .ini

simply to say it,
Welcome to Necron.

Nidhogg
04-12-05, 18:09
Thread merged.

N

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 18:09
Thread merged.

N
Nidd, what do you think of the darkness?

SnAkE_BE
04-12-05, 18:11
dude assman get off my back :p

well guess that in a post apocalyptic world they know about headlights on cars dont they ?????
dont thinks there is ever ona be a psi spell with a flashlightmod on it ^^ but hey fix th headlights :)))

Asurmen Spec Op
04-12-05, 18:14
dude assman get off my back :p

well guess that in a post apocalyptic world they know about headlights on cars dont they ?????
dont thinks there is ever ona be a psi spell with a flashlightmod on it ^^ but hey fix th headlights :)))
Sorry SnAke but Im a giver, not a taker

psh, runners cant afford headlights :)