PDA

View Full Version : Holographic discs...

Koshinn
30-11-05, 08:34
http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/Pages/Page.asp?Section=pressreleases&department=maxellusa_pr&Line=datapr&Open=datapr41

Hey it's comming out in a year or so from now, only 500GB, 20MB/s (megabytes, not megabits)transfer rate for the first gen. They expected it to go as high as 1.6 terabytes of data and 120 megabytes/second transfer rate.

Holographic mass storage media are introduced to the world market. The Holodisk is scanned with a laser and even the introductory model can contain amounts of data which are more than 100 times bigger than the maximum capacity of conventional mass media based on magnetic fields.

Damn they got it pretty close at Reakktor. Almost exactly... DVDs hold what, 4.5GB? The intro holodisk will have almost exactly 100 times that much. And of course the year is only off by 1. o_O

Clive tombstone
30-11-05, 09:00
YEAY! China's gonna make a spaceship, then Nuke us because they think we destroyed it!

NC here we co- (nuke explosion) :D

PS-Thats pretty damn cool, Id like to get one, make you think also how big hard drives will get eventually

PEace out

MuggleMind
30-11-05, 09:04
We better warn NASA (or whichever space organisation) to skip the 4th mission to Mars in about 2018 then, judging by ReaKKtor's notes. Think they'd agree to go straight from the third to the fifth mission for safety reasons?

jini
30-11-05, 09:24
So, when do we expect LOM pills to be introduced and by whom? :lol:

sanityislost
30-11-05, 09:27
So, when do we expect LOM pills to be introduced and by whom? :lol:

been using crack so far works just as good, still need to lvl my int back tho :/

SiL ..:..

Seezur001
30-11-05, 09:38
Holodiscs have were actually being developed a year or so ago.

Sovellis
30-11-05, 09:39
You guys do know london is the first place to get hit....

Scanner Darkly
30-11-05, 11:29
Roll on progress - just hope within 5 years these will be consumer affordable, but it might take a lot longer. Not everyone is even using DVDs for data storage even now...

Anyway, this really agrees with my minimalist outlook: I'd love to copy all my DVDs and CDs onto a couple of these sexy gizmos, leave the rest in boxes in the attic.

dark_reaper
30-11-05, 11:34
Holodiscs have were actually being developed a year or so ago.
Yea, and still waiting. But I am getting one when it comes out.

giga191
30-11-05, 11:54
So, when do we expect LOM pills to be introduced and by whom? :lol: i'll introduce you to my lom pill:
http://www.sportsdiamond.com/ProductImages/DeMarini-DXX03.jpg

Dr J Zoidberg
30-11-05, 12:10
rofl giga ^^

I'll be getting one as soon is a posibly can regardless of the price. Mainly becuase i have 4 internal HDD's and an external only adding up to 2 TB which I almost nearly fill...

Its good that technology is advancing at such a rate as we can all plainly see. and its good to see that some of the community are involved in the development.

-Z

Dominus
30-11-05, 14:26
Just think of ze load times :O.

ZoVoS
30-11-05, 14:54
anybody wana help me with the Ceres project?

i want to map of of the knowlage of earth onto these disks lol

rob444
30-11-05, 15:02
I remember reading about a harddrive with around 600 (was 591.8 pb or something..) petabyte from a pc magazine like 1 year back, and it is suposed to be released in the near future. Not heard anything about those drives other than that though. You can record your whole life time on one of those harddrives with a videocamera with extremely high resolution. Pretty neat.

Dribble Joy
30-11-05, 15:07
Holodisks have been in development for almost a decade.... not just a few years.

There is bat shit crazy ideas out there, remember that most of what's on the market now was thought up ages ago. Some of the stuff BT is working on is scary. Then there's nanotube fuel egnition, serious revolution there.

Ryen
30-11-05, 15:58
Pretty awesome that they are finally making it to the forefront of hard drive technology. Sadly rekktor was behind about a year.