PDA

View Full Version : The server of all servers !

Dogface
28-11-05, 22:06
Do you think it would be a good idea to have just one server? I'm not sure if I like it because there are some obvious disadvantages (language barrier). I think the pvp would be much more alive. Heck, I play Neptune - road kill is more alive =/

Now.. I first of all had the idea of two trade channels. One for English, one for German. What if you needed something that was being traded in the German channel but you couldn't understand what this person was saying or because it's being traded on a completely different channel?

Then, i came up with a new idea. I shall attempt an example below with an explanation:
Trade channel below..

Oh look, both those players can see whats being traded. Imagine player A is English, B is German. The BUYING/SELLING line is the channel name.
In my opinion, from what I've seen there is only one channel used for trade - NC Trade channel. So if you don't want to buy anything, simply mute the channel. Alternatively if you decide to keep an eye on things being sold, mute buying channel and keep selling channel open. Now of course when player B sees A selling junk knife he'll DM with "how much??"... There will be a problem but you can't win 'em all.
This just might be an idea to cut down on the ammount of channels that are flying around all over the place for those people who would use English and German channels at the same time.
These channels could be broadcasted throughout instead of the NC TH MB channels ect, like I said - I dont see many people using anything other than NC. What about you people?
Not completely sure if this would actually work or not. But still, one server? Would be worth it even with all these different channels going around everywhere.
There could be English and German only OOC, Help and Recruitment channels because I dont see a way around that.
If anyone wants to improve my idea then go ahead and post some ideas. Just trying to get across to everyone that, the above idea is trying to remove one disadvantage of just one single server.
Name some other problems so we can try and solve them. Something to do?

EDIT: Completely wrong Forum but nevermind :p

Logan_storm_03
28-11-05, 22:17
I can see your point but personly I think it isnt a good idea, merging the servers is limiting Neocrons room to expand and recieve a 'influx' of new players that im hoping it will get one day. Inless in the future there is another expansion increasing the server side and KK merging it into one large maintained server with all resources set just on it. Like eve as an example. But that is abit farfetched. I meen its not like its hard to find a fight even now, in about 5-10mins on terror your bound to find some one to pvp with.

rob444
28-11-05, 22:24
I wouldn't mind a merge, just think how awesome the op wars would have been with 70+ people :D

Logan_storm_03
28-11-05, 22:26
imagen the awsome lag and fps

rob444
28-11-05, 22:30
Yeah, wouldn't it be great?!

Cerbious
28-11-05, 22:46
i think one sever a great idea.. dont see language as a proberlem.. many other games do it.. Eve-Online for example only has one sever. From my experiences on Neocron is Uranus was a good mix of english speaking and german speaking players... most of the germans understood some english etc.. and if they didnt and u really needed to communicate i found somone who could translate for me.

If it did happen you could even have people selling their services as translators :P

Having multi languages is also handy on a educational point of view as u can pick up some lingo to get u by.

The one server IF (lmao) the sever could handle it would have a good population.. which would intise new players to the game.

on the bad however people with chars accross severs would lose some as there wouldnt be enough slots.

Shia
28-11-05, 22:49
I think 2 servers ftw ! a 1slot server (mars) and a 4slot(terra) rest are pointless

Terayon
28-11-05, 23:37
Most germans speak english anyways so language wouldent be a big deal.

A server merge would probably be a bad thing though. Lots of peopel would leave becouse of it and we would end up with only terras pop being only 1/3 higher.

giga191
28-11-05, 23:44
i don't think the language barrier is a big problem, just learn what kaufe and verkaufe mean

Eckhart
28-11-05, 23:57
Why don't we see how many people 2.1 brings back before talking about merging servers.....

Pungent77
28-11-05, 23:59
imagen the awsome lag and fps
Imagine owning decent PC that produces results. :lol:

PvPing the same 10 or so people on terra get's boring real quick.

I have no performance issues..just the periodic CTD and synch issues. FPS and Lag is fine, always has been for me.

Merging the servers would be great, language? who cares...uranus had german and english spams on trade--->no biggie and I doubt people would leave because of it. The servers are in a dire need of a population miracle.

Reserving space for the imaginary influx of incoming subscribers....I hate to say it, but it is highly unlikely that there will be fresh subscribers. The same complaints that drove majority of the original neocron subscribers away are still left untouched and many new subscribers will vanish after a few weeks.

I'm not knocking KK, it is their company and they can and will run it as they please. However it would be nice for them to give us what we want every once in awhile.

Great game, love it
Just praying for a miracle of some sort.

RogerRamjet
29-11-05, 00:19
Merging servers wont help the population.

It simply means more people get pissed of with KK and quit. And i for one would be one of them.

vashtyphoon78
29-11-05, 00:45
the Language think i think should be done like Eve. Eve Online put in a system that transfers Language A (German) to Language B (English) there are some minor problems with it- but only a few words could not be translated i think.

and about the server merge: If the above system i mentioned was inputted....it might be a good idea.

Toilet-Duck
29-11-05, 01:08
I've always wanted this the last post that someone asked a few months ago about this nid said it wasnt going to happen :( .

Just imagine though if they did all merge it would be amazing no more population problems and alot more action between cities.

This probably would balance the problem with anticity vs procity imo.

Logan West
29-11-05, 01:25
Having some sort of market, which would solve many NC problems, would make multi-laguage servers possible. I can't state how badly this game needs a market or auction house.

Zeninja
29-11-05, 01:43
Ah. I was a little worried about not seeing the usual "please KK merge all servers" this month.

I feel so much better now.

=REMUS=
29-11-05, 02:08
How many times has this been preposed...?

QuakCow
29-11-05, 02:18
er....too many to count actually...

in theory its a good idea...but it would piss of roughly half the players on the german servers...sure terra (or whatever the super server would be called) would have a higher pop...but i dont think we want a crapload of disgruntled people running around

=REMUS=
29-11-05, 02:36
i'm not even sure it is possible to merge the databases without a complete restart like the transition from nc1 to 2 and even then, there will be further clashing char names..etc.

Ghard
29-11-05, 02:46
If you ever played beta the population was german/english speaking and we had no problems selling buying and communicating. although that was generaly down to the fact that most of the german players spoke good english and if one didnt someone was allways willing to translate for you. also after a while you get used to what certain words mean like learning a language for the first time.

And to the people who think it will limit neocrons growth well to be honest even with evo 2.1 i doubt we will se the servers go up alot if it was gona grow it would have already.

The only problem is lag but maby 2.1 will help.

ZoVoS
29-11-05, 10:41
voted no

at the start of nc yes, now no

Bugs Gunny
29-11-05, 10:57
They should have done it at the start of NC2, i am NOT going to restart all my chars again.

naimex
29-11-05, 11:12
problems are:

-Time
-Risk of losses
-Reset of worldmap / OP ownership (yeah, okay big deal, but still worth mentioning).
-Clashing usernames

and the all time favourite...

-extreme amounts of characters, items, apartments and what not WILL be lost, unless they make that 1 server a 12 slot server or so.

Finl
29-11-05, 13:03
i agree that would be nice idea, but ^ told what will go wrong with that so no need to repeat them.

Brammers
29-11-05, 13:06
Voted no as I usually do in these polls. For a start, all 4 servers are different in some way, and I'm not talking about the language here. Anyone remember the revolt on Mercury was originally proposed to be turned into a PvP server.

It was bad enough loosing Pluto. Since then I've settled down on Terra and I really don't want to have to merge again.

And besides, the population on Terra has picked up there is plenty of PvP if you know where to go.

nobby
29-11-05, 13:13
I wouldn't mind it for a week and see what it's like!

sultana
29-11-05, 14:20
They should have done it at the start of NC2, i am NOT going to restart all my chars again.
Yep, should have left it as one server like it was in Nc2 beta.

It really can't be done now, as it seems somewhat technically impossible. The people from pandore weren't able to transfer items in cabinets.

Also many people have characters across all 4 servers, and they would lose most of them. Including all their items/xp/time put into it/whatever.

rob444
29-11-05, 19:57
Most germans speak english anyways so language wouldent be a big deal.

I can't agree with you, most germans I've talked to can hardly understand english and have you ever played ragnarok online on EU server? 8/10 people you meet there are germans, 2/8 can speak english fairly good and the rest of them wants you to speak german.

---

And about FPS/LAG, I don't mind it, it has been there all along anyway. I don't see any advantages for certain players here.

---

Why would people get a grudge on having one server only? Because they lost their items/characters? Big deal, it will be more fun in the end, I would sacrifice my characters for this indeed.

Logan_storm_03
29-11-05, 20:06
speak for your self, if i loose my chars its bye bye neocron for another year.

SorkZmok
29-11-05, 20:14
Yeah exactly. 1 slot server international, 4 slot server inernational. Would've been much better.

Now again i got each slot used up on my main account with 90% (near) capped characters and way too many rares and epics to loose half of em.

o_O

sultana
30-11-05, 05:33
Why would people get a grudge on having one server only? Because they lost their items/characters? Big deal, it will be more fun in the end, I would sacrifice my characters for this indeed.
It's happened once before, I think it's too much of an ask for it to happen again.