PDA

View Full Version : Local list

ZoVoS
23-11-05, 22:54
what do u think should be done with the local list?

i just wana know ur opinions

Leave it as it is
Remove it in non safe zones for all non LE'd players
Remove it in all zones for non LE'd players
Remove it in war zones
Remove it in non safe zones (war anarch ect)
Remove it entierly

(edit -=- we could add to the discriptoin on the LE that it also acts as a tracking device in non safezones. where tracking sensers arnt naturaly installed)

-FN-
23-11-05, 23:10
I hate the "automatically built into our heads, isn't that f-ing convenient" Local List. I voted remove it entirely. I'd rather people used visuals to get head counts and find droners. In my opinion, it's one of the biggest killers to the FPS/Strategic Gameplay Neocron COULD have.

God damn... everytime I go back to the dreaming of no local list idea, I get all giddy. The damn thing doesn't even work right a good portion of the time, zoning into apartments with Player A being the only person in there and Player B's name is in Local - how many times has that happened? heh

james_finn
23-11-05, 23:26
I vote remove it entirely, make the game more jumpy as you wouldnt know whose around the next corner!

Sammson
23-11-05, 23:43
Voted the second option, but I'd prefer the freedom of pressing alt-L or sumit to turn off my local list, and take me off everyone elses.

SorkZmok
23-11-05, 23:55
Drones would need a big fat nerf then. Though in general, i'm up for it.

And i like sammsons idea.

ZoVoS
24-11-05, 00:04
:D how about remove option 2. only le's are on the list and people in safe zones :D and drones hehe

omg i cant belive the amount of people who actauly want to leave the list in

Heavyporker
24-11-05, 00:13
I'd like the local list removed by default, but people should have the option of implanting a brain-chip or skullbone with shortwave radar where it can pick up other people around you, in short, a local list.

-FN-
24-11-05, 00:31
I'd like the local list removed by default, but people should have the option of implanting a brain-chip or skullbone with shortwave radar where it can pick up other people around you, in short, a local list.

Asurmen Spec Op
24-11-05, 00:37

Kierz
24-11-05, 00:59
Well I voted Remove it in non safe zones (war anarch ect) but on second thoughts should just remove it entirely.

Only problem would be droners being much harder to find (but then again shouldnt they). Maybe if the netcode was better and you could actually watch where a drone flys when they need to relaunch it wouldn't be so bad, atm they just disappear.

Ryen
24-11-05, 01:44
It's convient in safe zones when you need to find a trade skiller or friend, but it's just annoying in PVP. Remove it from anarchy and war zones.

Mr_Snow
24-11-05, 02:33
the main problem with the local list is that the area it covers is too big, if the reduce the area it covers it should work out better.

Obsidian X
24-11-05, 04:18

I just voted to remove it in warzones, but having read Porkers idea, I agree wholeheartedly with it. Should be added to the poll.

ZoVoS
24-11-05, 05:20
id add it but polls cant be modified :D

Exioce
24-11-05, 07:04
if we're removing the local list entirely, let's also remove the floating names above people's heads.

retr0n
24-11-05, 08:24
if we're removing the local list entirely, let's also remove the floating names above people's heads.

Yes, and player models while your at it.

Bugs Gunny
24-11-05, 10:47
***** for porker's idea.

The only thing that should be in local list by default is drones & droners, as they would become overpowered if they wouldn't be.

solling
24-11-05, 11:15
yeh remove it entirely there is no such thing as sneaking in this game.

if remove people can actually hide and sneak BUT fix the thing where peopel can hide in walls and trees cuz without a local and have adroner in a tree no way in hell u can find him

Shenyu Reza
24-11-05, 11:22
Remove it entierly

PcP'
24-11-05, 11:29
Remove it aslong as you either remove droners or put a massive arrow over their heads that can be seen from 3 zones away

naimex
24-11-05, 12:08
I voted leave it as it is..

but an eye implant that can give a local list is also acceptable.

John Bushido
24-11-05, 12:16
first sry for my bad english :)

I would like an option that every player could decide for himself if his name appears in the local list.

commerzgandalf
24-11-05, 12:59
Voted the second option, but I'd prefer the freedom of pressing alt-L or sumit to turn off my local list, and take me off everyone elses.
same here

giga191
24-11-05, 19:01
Voted the second option, but I'd prefer the freedom of pressing alt-L or sumit to turn off my local list, and take me off everyone elses. genious idea *****

Icewalk
24-11-05, 19:06
ACCESSORY implant that can show local list--- everyone starts with it, with it in, others with it in can see you, with it out, others who have it in can't see you.

msdong
24-11-05, 19:26
remove it in all non save zones - its ok for use in tradezone for chattin and stuff.
the maximum ppl should have is a proximity sensor that shows if someone is around or not.

Clive tombstone
24-11-05, 19:35
I like Heavy's Idea the best personally, My orginal option was to remove it entirly from the non safe zones, as I agree finding a tradeskiller/friend would be a bit annoying. Also, the Alt-G Idea sounds pretty sweet too. I just hope KK pays attention to this thread :D

PEace out

Tratos
24-11-05, 19:37
i like heavy's idea as it makes a nice balance point of skills or local list.

Heavyporker
24-11-05, 20:19
The alt+g thing doesn't appeal to me, because, well...

It's like the "Log-out to avoid getting killed" lamer-trick...

A pker could just have local list on running around, someone shows up in his list, he looks around and then hits "stealthzor mode" with that alt+g thing, and ganks the bastard...

I mean, look, without some consideration of this local-list mechanism, people are just gonna use it as a free stealth-tool.

That's why the implant thing seems pretty good even after the alt+g thing : EVERYONE would show up on the implant's list (except, well, yeah, stealthers with stealth tool active)

Clive tombstone
24-11-05, 22:33
Here here, I think Heavys on to something. I over looked the possibility of a gank tool for the ALt-G method. Heavys idea is really awsome I think, and probably not that hard to program ether.

Also when you think about it, its really quite fare. Maybe call the implant the "stalker chip", "Tracking implant" or maybe since this is a hud vissual, make it an eye implant. Dunno, just throwing that out that

Argent
24-11-05, 23:18

This or nothing. Simple.

giga191
25-11-05, 00:05
i don't want to gimp myself by having to put special eye imps in

Dribble Joy
25-11-05, 00:28
There needs to be some means of knowing someone is nearby, at least if they are moving. Either foot noises need to go up drasticly or something else. Though clearly you need to be on the look out, removing the local list as-is would afford too much to droners and other people.

Heavyporker
25-11-05, 01:12
All or Nothing choices aren't really... practical.

And I'm getting very annoyed by people that refuse to consider balancing options simply because they'll get "gimped".

Clive tombstone
25-11-05, 01:12
Well look how world of warcraft does there stuff? there "local list" would be in the form of there hunters "track Humanoid" Other than that, they have no local list, and its plain and simple, Rogues or other classes can pretty much lye in wait and then get there next victem without being detected (for the most part). Although this ISNT WoW, the idea seems pretty solid, and a tad more logical.

No Im not one to do that kind of stuff, but I think its an interesting bit in the game play, as line of site, to area detection would be a lot better, but with a "detection implant" compared to the ALt "alternative" seems vastly better.(yeah, "I dunwanna gimp myself" well it COULD always be an accessory, but it takes "installation time to put it in.)

The footsteps sounds is a really cool idea as well I think

Im personally taking the side of the ridding of the Local list since Ive never really liked it, so Im somewhat biased on this subject.

PEace out

Dribble Joy
25-11-05, 02:11
And I'm getting very annoyed by people that refuse to consider balancing options simply because they'll get "gimped".
Something of this magnitude has to be considered alongside the implications it has for PvP.

If there was an imp that timed your mob reward by 10, would you use it?

Clive tombstone
25-11-05, 02:30
Well lets see the Sides of an implant form (since heavy hasnt responded yet, and please, feel free to argue). Say I have a tank, his name is hank He has the somewhat traditional setup of an Herc Chip, marine chip, Moveon, and Zerk 4. His setup is sweet, He can manage to kick ass pretty well as long as he doesnt run into TOO much trouble. Anything in his line of sight is pretty much a dead target (as long as no PPUBP's are around with the said target).

Now Hank is a good fighter, but as far as his "warriors instinct" (saying his ability to deduct if an area is not safe to be in, or his cautiousness) is somewhat sub par. He relies on the local list so that he can round out where his targets might be hiding (and with this system, its pretty much impossible for him to NOT find whoever it is he's looking for.

Now take away his local list. By himself, hes walking a bit more blind then he's used to. Targets can escape with ease now, with proper cover of course, and lowbies who would have been ganked by him, can slip by without notice. As well as the vice versa as people can now ambush HIM from a good vantage point leaving him at a big disavantage. Hank is sad.

Now we offer hank the chance to get this wonderous ability of "fore sight" back, in the form of an implant. Hank is estatic, but somewhat nervous. Hank would have to give up some of his enormous power in exchange for this extra sight. Hank sees that he can now once again, keep away and track his foes with ease.

But the question still remains what does he perfer? Power or Intel?

PEace out

Apshai
25-11-05, 04:08
Remove it ... but give us the True-Sight-Eyes.

Dribble Joy There needs to be some means of knowing someone is nearby, at least if they are moving. Either foot noises need to go up drasticly or something else.

ya 100% agree

Drones would make noises and the smart guy with the True-Sight-Eye can track the droner.

Dargeshaad
25-11-05, 08:48
It should never had been implemented in the first place, not sure what the reason was in the first place beside adding a "cool" feature

Crest
25-11-05, 11:28
At present, if you see anyone in local list it could be anyone, including a stealther, so you still have to double check. By making droners only show up, it would mean they are at a disaadvantage cause all you do is look at local.

Currently 3 spies in sector 1 droner and 2 moving about, thos moving about are constantly appearing and shooting, so there is still doubt as to who the droner is.

If you make droners only show up in local then you need to introduce a droner detection mechanism.
I fail to see how in roleplaying and advance of technology, that we have spies who can control machanical devices with their mind and these devices are so advance, yet these devices can not send out a radar based check between itself and the droner.

In a role play drones would be a little different. You would have a remote control and possible a camaera on drone. You would be able to see around you and also see what the drone is doing through the camera. ...

Bugs Gunny
25-11-05, 11:49
If it ever gets removed droners SHOULD remain in it, and so should drones.
The roleplay reason for this is that they send out very strong radiosignals which our implanted HUD network picks up.

Imagine what it could do. Apus could sneak up on people and hide behind terain, snipers could realy snipe. Tanks could hide behind cover etc.
It would make fights a lot more interesting, and remove a bit of the standard "run circles around target" pvp movement.

Dr J Zoidberg
25-11-05, 12:07
If there was no local list, there should at least be a colour coded Radar somewhere in the HUD.... IMO ofcourse...

-Z

[VP]Orion
25-11-05, 12:51
Due to the fact that stealth and drones are ingame I say keep local as it is. Droners go and hide inside trees and stuff all the time and the only way you have to find them is to use the locallist. Actually, droners are the only really big thing I have that says that we should keep it. Now, if the drones themselves were perfectly balanced/nerfed and droners couldnt hide inside things, then there would be a different issue. But as it is now, keep local as it is.

Crest
25-11-05, 13:34
Orion']Due to the fact that stealth and drones are ingame I say keep local as it is. Droners go and hide inside trees and stuff all the time and the only way you have to find them is to use the locallist. Actually, droners are the only really big thing I have that says that we should keep it. Now, if the drones themselves were perfectly balanced/nerfed and droners couldnt hide inside things, then there would be a different issue. But as it is now, keep local as it is.

Mebbe a new tool that everyone could use......

Ok For all chars it sends out a signal (to the current limit of local) and identifies anyone in that area including possible stealths. Can only send out a signal every 15 seconds, and since you need to use hands for this you cant be using a weapon. Mean you can track stealthers and is as good as a local list fordroners (even better)

For Droners, this is input into all drones and will highlight the local area around the droner, as I said earlier if he has the ability to control something with his mind, and its that technologically advance it would be able to interact with other devices on him. Exception is the scan time is in relation to the drone distance, so if drone is above droners head, it would scan every 15 second slike other devices . if drone is at range limit like a raptor, its every 45 seconds as it take time to bounce up and down. It offers a droner some protection.

/edit Radar could be heat based so thermal imaging would mean stealth would show up

Doners, if they are able to stand in trees and stuff, should be reported.

Kozmos
25-11-05, 17:28
*sigh*

Remove Local list, theres no way in hell that when theres someone around the corner behind a tree 200 yards behind you that you will know their name ...

Instead of the Local list, add a radar, Yes it lets you know how many ppl are around you and where, but, its just a dot, you dont know if its friend or foe, so your gonna have to go look at them if you want to find out.

Dribble Joy
25-11-05, 17:33
Instead of the Local list, add a radar, Yes it lets you know how many ppl are around you and where, but, its just a dot, you dont know if its friend or foe, so your gonna have to go look at them if you want to find out.
Ding ding! Winnar.

Allways wanted a radar, and more things on the maps.

rob444
25-11-05, 20:27
I think it should be left as it is, I like the adrenaline boost you get (at least I get it) when you see your worst enemy in local when you least expect it.