PDA

View Full Version : Which is better...Fireworks or photoshop...

tomparadox
17-11-05, 22:42
A freind and I at school got into a disagreement about which is better, photoshop or fireworks. So i thought id post a poll here to find out what the majority thinks.

I personally thing photoshop owns fireworks.

Edit: forgot to state, fireworks MX 2004 and 8, or photoshop CS and CS2. I used photoshop 7 but not alot.

nobby
17-11-05, 22:44
Old Traditions never die!

retr0n
17-11-05, 23:32
I'm a photoshop guy, still use 7.0, but I imagine it's like with all other things, being
a matter of preference and not "wich is best!!!one".

ZoVoS
18-11-05, 02:04
fire works is better cos its ease of use

photoshop is so much more flexable when u have a brain in ur head

i picked photoshop

fireworks can produce good work with little effort

photoshop can produce GREAT wrok with effort

that said if u want to draw u should actualy use illistrater of flash... vector based drawings as peliminary look so much better

Xian
18-11-05, 02:26
For producing a great quality and highly polished image, photoshop is the way to go if you're only choosing between those two. There's a lot more you can do with it, but that can make it very easy to get lost.

I've found fireworks to be great for slicing and less complicated editing work. Adobe have decided to buy Macromedia, though, so we might (eventually) see the best of both worlds.

tomparadox
18-11-05, 02:37
Id half to agree with all the comments iv sean so far.

Adobe have decided to buy Macromedia, though, so we might (eventually) see the best of both worlds.

They have? nice, i hope they put it to good use. I like macromedia, mainly flash. Other than that i go adobe. Although i do like dreamweaver 8.

baconops
18-11-05, 03:19
I normally use Macromedia products like Flash and Dreamweaver,
but I just like the feel and the huge amount of filters that Photoshop CS has :3

elGringo
18-11-05, 03:35
stupid question really :)

Photoshop has a challanging learning curve at the beginning... but afterwards it features
- a lot more freedom to do what you have in mind
- faster workflow
- better brushing support
- fast, yet powerfull colomanagement
- layer /blendinglayer, alpha, colormaps
- a nice raw-"developer".... the list goes on

the only con woulkd be the fairly high price... but its worth every cent imo.

Vryce
18-11-05, 22:31
........ the only con woulkd be the fairly high price... but its worth every cent imo.

Have to agree, $500.00 for CS, which is the one I'm looking at. 8|

All the reviews I've seen lean toward PS7 or CS; a few people seem to have trouble with CS2 (Amazon.com reviews).

Skusty
18-11-05, 22:47
Never used Photoshop so, Fireworks ohoy!

bounty
18-11-05, 23:55
http://www.gimp.org/

Vae Victis
19-11-05, 00:05
easy poll, PS > all

elGringo
19-11-05, 00:33
Have to agree, $500.00 for CS, which is the one I'm looking at. 8|

All the reviews I've seen lean toward PS7 or CS; a few people seem to have trouble with CS2 (Amazon.com reviews).

The upgrad was not _that_ much ...and I use CS:2 with raw a lot and the raw workflow is one of the major cs2 improvements imo. Still... I'd say that for most users, PS7 is the best pick concerning money/value atm!

.hack//sign
19-11-05, 19:24
fireworks rock but tom, your pretty good at ps,hmm what to choose

tomparadox
19-11-05, 20:02
fireworks rock but tom, your pretty good at ps,hmm what to choose Id actualy like to agree with the people that say its whichever you prefer. I took a class on fireworks and did the homework in photoshop, just because i like photoshop more than fireworks. but tbh the only reason i took the class was because they made me take all of the one teachers classes ( HTML//fireworks//flahs ) before theyd let me get into AP computer science, which is what im in now.

anyway that was a bit offtopic lol o.0.

Photoshop has a challanging learning curve at the beginning... but afterwards it features
- a lot more freedom to do what you have in mind
- faster workflow
- better brushing support
- fast, yet powerfull colomanagement
- layer /blendinglayer, alpha, colormaps
- a nice raw-"developer".... the list goes on

the only con woulkd be the fairly high price... but its worth every cent imo.

Yea, i agree with this, once you get to know how to use photoshop its much better imo. And yes, the price is worth it.

edit: btw, bit offtopic but hows my new sig look? made in photoshop CS.

.hack//sign
20-11-05, 07:43
not bad Imo :rolleyes:

Scanner Darkly
25-11-05, 17:39
I've used both, but mainly use Photoshop these days. They both do similar things differently - to argue if one is "better" is a bit pointless. People use the app that best suits their modus operandi and needs. If you're manipulating photographs, I think the answer is obvious. For graphic creation - it's whatever you prefer. I'm used to layers now, but did like how Fireworks works too.

lss: just use whatever you prefer using, they are both great programmes from established companies with a long line of quality software.