PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] In-Game Ads

-FN-
17-11-05, 19:27
Planetside has 'em. I see ads for "Stewie: The Untold Story" all the time.

The Matrix Online is getting them.

Neocron has one - ever see the Alienware ad?

Well, they're a little annoying :P They remove from the immersive feeling of the game. At the same time they add revenue... *shrug* I really don't care. That's not what this post is about.

I'm talking about in-game RP ads!

Let Phoenix Ltd. buy an advertising spot for 25,000 nc a week. Let Heavyporker buy an advertising spot for his shop! Introduce a system that lets players "buy" advertising space on those screens that flash ads so they can advertise their services in-game!

Then Tradeskillers can really let loose - as well as Mercenaries/Drivers/Salvagers/etc for hire!

Kozmos
17-11-05, 19:37
yep.

neocron also desperately needs a auction in the same style as project entropia or wow

CMaster
17-11-05, 19:40
I totally want it. I would have advertised both the Race chanpionoship, and TFC on it (as I do with the 'cronicle adds at the moment)

Shia
17-11-05, 20:30
sounds good to me , 5stars!

Argent
17-11-05, 20:36
Not worth the work in my opinion. Though it would be a pretty cool RP element, I must admit. But the game needs work on so many other fronts that it's not time for this kind of improvements.

Edit : I wonder why I even read the first post.

Zeninja
17-11-05, 20:40
About the Alienware ads, thanks to god they're unobstrusive enough not to shock us too much (no text, simple logo), but I wouldn't miss them if removed u know...

Tradeskiller's 'RP' banners would be a sweet feature : at the same time as tradeskiller npc's are out maybe :rolleyes:

Philchow
17-11-05, 20:48
About the Alienware ads, thanks to god they're unobstrusive enough not to shock us too much (no text, simple logo), but I wouldn't miss them if removed u know...

Some in game ads have text: ALIENWARE. :D

Btw, again a very nice idea from you -FN-, would be a cool feature for tradeskillers (since they won't have owned shops :mad:) or peeps who want to organise some events.

Kozmos
17-11-05, 20:59
PE has the auction houses and if you own land, you can place a shopkeeper aswell, really easy to use aswell...

Dade Murphey
17-11-05, 21:18
player owned in-game adds would be a pretty neat thing...could be really cool

and with Kozmo...if they put an auction house style thing (WoW-like) in say TH since there's a lot of unused space there these days would be nice and handy with euro and american players playing...it could make getting items a bit nicer...could be built into where the old shop district of TH was

Asurmen Spec Op
17-11-05, 21:27
Planetside has 'em. I see ads for "Stewie: The Untold Story" all the time.

The Matrix Online is getting them.

Neocron has one - ever see the Alienware ad?

Well, they're a little annoying :P They remove from the immersive feeling of the game. At the same time they add revenue... *shrug* I really don't care. That's not what this post is about.

I'm talking about in-game RP ads!

Let Phoenix Ltd. buy an advertising spot for 25,000 nc a week. Let Heavyporker buy an advertising spot for his shop! Introduce a system that lets players "buy" advertising space on those screens that flash ads so they can advertise their services in-game!

Then Tradeskillers can really let loose - as well as Mercenaries/Drivers/Salvagers/etc for hire!When I first say this I wanted to stab the writer

then I read it and well

Fuck...yes....

Brammers
17-11-05, 21:36
Hell yes, I want Phoenix Ltd advertising!

Riddle
17-11-05, 21:43
Book me some space for Logans Emporium for sure!
Hell i'll buy space on all the billboards!
I'll buy the advertising agency!
I'll buy the dam lot!
New Runners Unite Neocron City needs you! Come to Logans for the ultimate in combat equipment

ooc : Great idea! :D

Cerbious
17-11-05, 21:56
i hate to put a negative on it.. (think it a great idea) but what will stop people just making banners of non trade stuff like '**** owns all u fools' etc

see it can also evole to more annoying things.

Philchow
17-11-05, 22:05
i hate to put a negative on it.. (think it a great idea) but what will stop people just making banners of non trade stuff like '**** owns all u fools' etc

Well, I assume that GM would have to check the ads before putting them in game.

Cerbious
17-11-05, 22:12
GM's would have alot of work if each week they have to run to loads of billboards in both citys checking and setting etc

Kozmos
17-11-05, 22:15
well what if you just submitted via email a small graphic that if approved, will go ingame in a patch, then once ingame you can contact a GM, pay your fee, and they spawn it at the spot you want the ad

Cerbious
17-11-05, 22:19
well what if you just submitted via email a small graphic that if approved, will go ingame in a patch, then once ingame you can contact a GM, pay your fee, and they spawn it at the spot you want the ad

And u reckon they will do a patch a week?

Kozmos
17-11-05, 22:22
And u reckon they will do a patch a week?

im not asking them too, if you want your add ingame that way, then jsut wait for approval, and wait for it to be patched, will get there eventually if done that way....

Cerbious
17-11-05, 22:24
Thread starter was suggesting it would be a weekly thing, which makes sense to give others a chance. Thus mean if it was to be added by patch there would have to be a patch a week to change it when somone else buys the slot.

Kozmos
17-11-05, 22:29
Thread starter was suggesting it would be a weekly thing, which makes sense to give others a chance. Thus mean if it was to be added by patch there would have to be a patch a week to change it when somone else buys the slot.

the only way that would likely be able to get put ingame is if its a text ticker just scrolling a message, this way youll be able to get a proper banner put ingame if its approved by the powers that be...

Tratos
17-11-05, 22:33
If there was a system in place which you typed your message in, in game and selected your faction and a GM could then scan though and approve of the decent adds from a GM tool they would then cycle on all available billboards for that faction.

That would work but require a fair bit of coding i imagine.

Scanner Darkly
18-11-05, 14:19
Yep, this would not only be useful to players/clans/companies, but also add a lot more character to the game.

voted 5 batmans.

PS: had me worried, with that thread title - thought you wanted RL companies to advertise in NC - we all know Alienware doesn't exist.

Heavyporker
19-11-05, 02:28
I can only agree with this proposal with extreme enthusiasim.

Shia
19-11-05, 04:14
Ads In Game (http://www.gamespot.com/6140044?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6140044)

*edit* totaly didint see 1st time i read it , FN mentioned matrix . oh well link anyway.

Asurmen Spec Op
19-11-05, 04:36
SOE is sad.