PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Find Out About NC

Shia
17-11-05, 18:50
Ok well i just wanted to know how ppl came about playing NC , was it via friends ? Websites liek mmorpg.com? etc.

i myself , i rember back in 2003 i was out shopping down west end and was in virgin mega store games dept and EQ caught my eye so i picked it up and was intreaged by the whole mmo experiance (after i had been playing D2 for like 2years) , then i saw the neocron game so i brought both . got home and installed EQ 1st , tryed that for a few hours and realy just couldnt get into it . So i installed NC and Whooooa i was blown away . Seeing as i was a avid cs gamer back then(even tho it was hackers delight) i was just liek uh! fps and rpg in 1 O_O never looked back since (tho i did break from it to play swg -,- wish i didnt but hey :/).

so yea how did the rest of you come to find / play NC .

Digital-Talios
17-11-05, 18:56
Way back in the day I was noobish about MMORPGs and saw a Neocron box... I decided to put it back. A few weeks past and I discovered they were making SWG. I thought to myself eh might as well give Neocron a try and qill quit after SWG comes out. Hehe little did i know it was the begining to one of the best mmorpgs around.

Neocron was the 4th ever MMORPG I ever played.

Argent
17-11-05, 19:12
"Hey that's seems like a cool CP game!" *fills in the application for beta*

Oh, I'm still pissed that KK didn't let me in the closed betas :-p

Kozmos
17-11-05, 19:21
same as arg, but i got into b2/3/4 :p :D

SorkZmok
17-11-05, 19:29
A mate told me about it right when it went retail in germany. I'm still playing, he actually quit about 5 month after we started it. :)

Dribble Joy
17-11-05, 19:45
Penny Arcade link.

TheRaven
17-11-05, 19:53
I was thinking about that a couple of days ago...and I can't even remember.

I remember filling in a form on a website to apply to betatest, and was surprised when I found 2 cd's in my mailbox with NC beta2 on it in handwriting.
I also remember the first time logging in and wandering the city and having absolutely no clue what to do.... :)

Asurmen Spec Op
17-11-05, 20:23
I played everquest, and got bored really quick.

A friend of mine said that with your playing style youd enjoy this game.

And thus.

Mr Kot
17-11-05, 20:37
My mate DIS saw it in a shop one day and during his first 6 months of gameplay, pestered me silly to try it. Every time we met, he'd tell me to "get NC". We'd played odd games together before, but mostly FPS games where we could link up to deathmatch or whatever.

Every time i went round his house, he'd be playing this damn game and i really wasn't that interested when i saw it. The guns looked cool, but when i saw people casting spells etc. i just thought, "geeks" :p The RPOS looked a little complicated too and i thought the learning curve wasn't for me. I wanted stuff simple back then.

I only caved eight months later after much pestering because it was a "social" game and it was obvious that the only way i'd get to play online with him would be if i played his choice of game, not mine. He installed his copy onto my machine, persuaded me to try the game for 3 months and here i am... looking in the phone book for Neocrackheads Anonymous.

Bastard. :p

Eckhart
17-11-05, 20:40
Friends in the SSX got me into it :)

Tratos
17-11-05, 20:53
I blame Scarus :p

Kozmos
17-11-05, 20:55
I was thinking about that a couple of days ago...and I can't even remember.

I remember filling in a form on a website to apply to betatest, and was surprised when I found 2 cd's in my mailbox with NC beta2 on it in handwriting.
I also remember the first time logging in and wandering the city and having absolutely no clue what to do.... :)

2 CD's ? You apply twice or something ? ;)

Dade Murphey
17-11-05, 21:13
during beta 3 a friend of mine had applied to get in...he showed me the site and told me about the beta...I watched the 7min video they had out at that time and was AMAZED (and hooked) haha...so I applied and got in and have been playing pretty much ever since...though I did take a lengthly break until a couple months ago

vashtyphoon78
17-11-05, 21:34
i was playing Runescape, got bored out of my mind with it (RS was my first MMO) so i searched Dogpile for MMORPGs. bang. third one down. Neocron.

Riddle
17-11-05, 21:37
Well my Brother in law Raved about this game he'd been playing since Beta, great fights great game etc etc..

I was majorly tiring of FP Shooters Counterstrike/Wolfenstein/MOH Etc. Etc.
I wanted something more but wanted to keep the element of gaming i liked FPS!

He gave me his TS details , the website , and no excuse for not trying after a few beers and a FREE 10 day trial what did i have to lose??

Every fucking night for about 6 months!!!! :lol: Dam it was addictive no wonder he always called it Neo-Crack :cool:

Now i'm not so bad but still playing and now i'm hassleing him to come back as he left when we moved to NC2 :rolleyes: Git :D

sshrul
17-11-05, 21:40
Was looking for something that was not Fantasy, wanted Scfi all my friends where playing Warcraft, I couldn't stand the game was playing Starcraft and Red Alert all the time. Then came across Neocron some how. Just missed Beta then Retail can out.

Terayon
17-11-05, 22:23
After losing my second full set of mith in runescape i decided to quit and did a search for open beta mmorpg games. Neocron caome up, and here i am. Friggin runescape.

Vryce
17-11-05, 22:26
PC Gamer, almost three years ago; took me the better part of summer to decide I wanted to see what this "Pepper Park" was all about. ;)

Odin
17-11-05, 23:01
Penny Arcade link.

Those two were fun when we had em in Neocron.

baconops
18-11-05, 00:20
I was looking on fileplanet, and I saw the a small pic of NC and said Free beta, tried it out, and loved :3

QuakCow
18-11-05, 00:26
someone in planetside community linked to some info about nc2 open beta....so i thought "well ive always heard its crap, but open beta is free..whatever" and here i am

J a y
18-11-05, 00:33
way back when cant remember when b4 was.. but i was looking 2 months before saw an advertizment for nc beta 3 thought to my self looks intresting. clicked on it saw the dl size and decided to wait beacuse i didnt feel like downloading for 8 hours. forgot about it saw it again as beta 4 downloaded it and played it to hell.. my friends and i were playing the offline demo for 2 months waiting for it to be releaced. played nc1 for almost 2 years (aobut 4 months off on the 2nd year). damn it was a blast : )

Toilet-Duck
18-11-05, 01:21
I saw it on a program called Gamer TV in the UK on Bravo reviewing the game online.

Best game I ever played (Neocron 1 that is) I thought it was amazing and loved how in every zone there was almost someone in it :D .

LiL T
18-11-05, 01:52
Gamespy beta download

Transformer
18-11-05, 01:52
got addicted while over mrpeepers and divides house. been playing on and off since then.

[PiN]Fluffy
18-11-05, 02:51
<======== Nc2 Nub.

I was a Noob to comp games... Only ever played "Tactical Ops AOT" Cs like FPS but better IMO. Then My buddys from my clan Were like, "We played beta for Nc1 long time ago you should Try Nc2 heres a Link to the beta" So I was like sure. So i Dled it Got my account This was my 1st ever MMORPG and My 2nd computer game I ever really got into... And Wam im here today pwning noobs :rolleyes:

ZoVoS
18-11-05, 02:56
cant realy remember i joined near the end of beta 4 (i remember seing einstine :S when was that???) skipped a few months of retail until i got a credit card then played for a while., stoped. started, nc is sumin once u seen u kinda have to keep n eye on it

tomparadox
18-11-05, 03:07
One of my freinds from school bugged me enough and i desided to try it out in B4, i have been in ever since, taking random breaks. Neocron was the first MMO i have ever played.

CMaster
18-11-05, 03:16
Moved to Uni for 1st year, constant broadband for the first time ever.
Flatmate was playing EQ2 and WoW Beta - the idea of an MMORPG suddently appealed,but the fantasy genre has always been a huge turn-off to me. Recalled hearing of Neocron long ago, and looked it up.

trigger hurt
18-11-05, 05:09
Used to play tfc with a few guys. We went looking for new games to play cause TFC was getting repetative. Stumbled on the old old old NC website and signed up for beta. Cruised the forums, never posting for ages. Saw open beta being released, downloaded game.

Played NC for nearly 3 years straight, only cancelled my account once to move and once to err...yeah...

sanityislost
18-11-05, 08:19
Strippers came round to the house, did a lil sex emote and left after giving me a
copy of the game lol

Ive forgot :/

SiL ..:..

naimex
18-11-05, 09:39
my brother had a copy shipped from the UK or US (Something Called EB-Games I think) to DK and started playing, he had a dream of starting a business empire where he had different people making the parts for stuff and then he paid them and made the finished product himself and sold it to customers. (He just didnt realize that he was on the german server at that time, lol).

But he got me hooked and I used his account on another server (you could play several people on the same account as long as you were on different servers back then, dont know if you still can...)

Anyways, I got hooked and September 2002 I started playing it and not just trying it for a few minutes at a time, and well... I' m still here...

But shortly after I had gotten really hooked he stopped playing...

RogerRamjet
18-11-05, 10:39
The power of christ compelled me.

Mechanicus
18-11-05, 10:56
PC gamer article

landofcake
18-11-05, 11:30
A friend of mine from IRC told me about it back in the day when i was playing the original UT.

He only played it for cheap thrills (mainly driving around the wastelands in vehicles, i remember him moaning like anything when they stopped the speed being affected by your FPS).

I tried it and i was instantly hooked, although i don't think it was my first MMORPG though, i think that goes to Asheron's Call 2.

Although Neocron was the first one i subscribed to.

Morganth
18-11-05, 13:09
I was playing the Shockwave game for Dragon Empires, and talking to a guy called Beuteleratte about different MMOs, and he told me about NC. Within a week I had a boxed copy on my desk (after decrypting and cracking the cookies for that shockwave game, so I could get one level per kill, which the creator subsequently patch because several people copied me and were running around at lvl200+, compared to most peoples 20 :p )

Scanner Darkly
18-11-05, 13:19
Ironically, I was attracted by a PC Format review - the first one, not the comedy sequel published a few months ago.

Wandered into Virgin and saw that sexy green cover. One thing led to another...

I do remember that even in the early months of retail people were whining about the game pops (Saturn and Pluto each had 500+) and predicting the game's swift demise.

trigger hurt
18-11-05, 14:45
Ironically, I was attracted by a PC Format review - the first one, not the comedy sequel published a few months ago.

Wandered into Virgin and saw that sexy green cover. One thing led to another...

I do remember that even in the early months of retail people were whining about the game pops (Saturn and Pluto each had 500+) and predicting the game's swift demise.

Honestly,

Something happened to this game once it hit retail...or...might I say, was supposed to hit retail in NC1. During the late beta4 periods, there were alot of people using the forums commenting on this and that. Mostly, it was conversation about features that were not implimented and were not even going to be seen in the near future that had been promised and then put on the backburner...Hacknet, Mechs and a few other things come to mind.

After the debacles of the game going gold, ie, copies not on shelves, incorrect cd keys, publisher screw ups, some of the people who were truley old school vanished. Some of the people I remember posting from way back when are still here in some form...others are gone for good.

I remember though, once during beta 4, I think it was Danae that helped me figure out how to equip my noobie knife. From there on, I was gung-ho about this game until NC2 came along.

sl33py
18-11-05, 14:56
little preview article in a game magazine (it stood next to the deus ex preview) i got both mixed up somehow and then found the article again and the rest is history

Vae Victis
18-11-05, 15:37
the DTs (Ariall and Vaporizar) were my clanmates since Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They were playing NC and they told me to get it.
Got the game, went to the darkside and the rest is known.
(darkside had cookies)

Inchenzo
18-11-05, 15:47
Edge magazine made me play NC

Crest
18-11-05, 15:49
Man my intro was well - Complicated.

I was on honeymoon, when the house sitter dude (NexusPlexus) and scalper (Guy accross the road, who wrote a review for PC Zone) started playing it. When i got back it was all intalled on my machine. I looked at it and was not impressed.

I was playing DIV DIV at the time, and could not see the sense of paying for a game every month. So I ignored it. I had another look shortly after, and screwed up - Went to GOGO on friends char and hit select all ... could not move, so I logged off. Logged back on and was in app hall way went into inv and trhew everything out of inv. When i could move i explore a bit and then logged off... Needless to say I had lost the guys entire inventory.

Then I created my own char. Once I was hooked, I told the guys at work about it, the one was a religous Diablo 2 follower with characters like you cannot believe with so many accounts. Needless to say he has 3 NC accounts now (well he cancelled 2 of them recently). Another guy at work joined, and a couple of other firends cause i was a pimp selling crack - neocrack

Torg
18-11-05, 15:50
riding the dot-com-tsunami, i was working for CDV as a development manager in late 2000, had to attend the ECTS expo in london where i shook hands with a guy named martin schwietzer, who told me about a new game and his recent negotiations with cdv. i checked the concept and alpha work and was really impressed. due to some cruel fate it wasn't before november 02, when i finally started playing. and still am, while taking frequent holidays from the war in the wastelands.

TheRaven
18-11-05, 17:01
2 CD's ? You apply twice or something ? ;)

I think it were 2 cd's yes...not really sure though...and duno if someone id still around from that time. Not many people got those handwritten cd's!! :)

‡ Stormlord ‡
18-11-05, 19:14
I was playing Ultima-Online before NC caught me up. Playing UO 2 full years day by day was too boring for me so I asked a friend of mine what his favorite MMORPG actually was. He said that he likes Anarchy Online and something like Runescape a lot but he mentioned that a game called Neocron is gonna to be freaking cool tho...

So I tried NC... :D

Mechanicus
18-11-05, 22:44
Ultima Online was *THE* best mmorpg ever made

i still play it a bit but the games just completely shit now, all 1-2 hit kills archers swinging at 1.25 seconds delays for 40-160 hp a hit or using the new skill spellweaving to hit for 90hp with a spell then 60 with an armour ignore off a bow instantly after : /. apparently thieir gonna fix alot of the stuff thats wrong with it next patch, i hope so because its still so great, 8 years on and its still got the best pvp system (mage pvp that is, not trashy dexxers) of any mmorpg

IceStorm
18-11-05, 23:18
One of my EQ-playing friends mentioned a Sci-Fi MMO with an FPS interface, not the "a-key" attack style of EQ or AO. I liked what I saw so I waited for the beta application.

Four of us applied for beta. I got into Beta 2. I've been here ever since - with my LE in. :-)

Digital-Talios
18-11-05, 23:53
One of my EQ-playing friends mentioned a Sci-Fi MMO with an FPS interface, not the "a-key" attack style of EQ or AO. I liked what I saw so I waited for the beta application.

Four of us applied for beta. I got into Beta 2. I've been here ever since - with my LE in. :-)

for a moment there i was like "hmmm that sci-fi mmo sounds good" then i realized you were talking about neocron :lol:

gstyle40
19-11-05, 00:37
about 2 years ago i was at frys electonics gettin parts for a computer i was building, and i always cruise the vid game sections just for a look see. I had seen neocron on the shelf and i picked it up and read the cover. i was like hmmmm i wonder if this could be like the text game i used to play growin up called wasteland, but with cool graphics. so i put it down. well many more trips to frys, and many more views of the box cover and i finally just said "what the hell, what do i have to loose" so i bought the game in like july of last year and was like DAYUM this game is the bomb! i had even bought matrix online, vampires, and knights of the old republic 2 along with nc, and the only other one i ever played was k.o.t.o.r 2(and that was only for 1 day bcuz i didnt like the point and click running style). never even opend the other games :) i was hooked

then MY computer took a shit and i had no money(or interest) to fix it. so i cancelled my account after only 2 months of play. i had some serious withdrawls. then around december 20th i got an early christmas gift, 300 bucks (enough to pay for new motherboard and processor i wanted) so i built my new computer. went to try to start up neocron again and found out nc2 was out and downloadable so i downloaded trial and have been playin ever since.

this novel should be hittin the bestsellers list 1st Qtr/2006 :lol:

IceStorm
19-11-05, 01:54
I think it were 2 cd's yes...not really sure though...and duno if someone id still around from that time. Not many people got those handwritten cd's!!Handwritten should have been earlier in the summer of 2001. The second batch of Beta 2 was a single silkscreened CD. I was in the second half of the CD shipments and got a single silkscreened CD in August. Beta 3 they sent out two silkscreened CDs but the labeling was reversed - Install was Play and Play was Install (something like that, the CDs aren't handy right now). The second CD only had a .pak file on it.

Trillian
19-11-05, 07:07
I heard about Neocron from a old CS friend of mine not to long before it went retail. He bugged me and bugged me to get it and play it with him. After a few months of this I bought it and started playing just so he would give me some peace about it. :)

Kozmos
19-11-05, 07:58
Handwritten should have been earlier in the summer of 2001. The second batch of Beta 2 was a single silkscreened CD. I was in the second half of the CD shipments and got a single silkscreened CD in August. Beta 3 they sent out two silkscreened CDs but the labeling was reversed - Install was Play and Play was Install (something like that, the CDs aren't handy right now). The second CD only had a .pak file on it.

yup ;)

hegemonic
19-11-05, 08:26
My then-fiance's cousin (the kid that built all my pc's for the past 300 years) told me about it in conversation in November 2002.

I was always into real-time sims and war-sims since Dune, so the concept of an MMORPG like Neocron was new to me. I knew of EQ for a LONG time and had acquaintances that LIVED on that game, but EQ wasn't for me. Although I used to actually play old-school dice RPG's, this world of EQ seemed to fruity for my taste.

Anyway, in December 2002, my mother-in-law bought me a copy of NC as a Christmas gift. I installed it and been hooked ever since. I played on Uranus because that's where my friends played, then they got bored in Jan 2003 and left, but I am STILL playing the same damn characters I created back then--I refuse to reroll!

The game got boring for me at a point, but because of my clan, I couldn't bring myself to leave. Almost all of my clan left NC2 for WoW and didn't look back, but I'm trying to get them back ingame with moderate success.

TheRaven
19-11-05, 10:24
Handwritten should have been earlier in the summer of 2001. The second batch of Beta 2 was a single silkscreened CD. I was in the second half of the CD shipments and got a single silkscreened CD in August. Beta 3 they sent out two silkscreened CDs but the labeling was reversed - Install was Play and Play was Install (something like that, the CDs aren't handy right now). The second CD only had a .pak file on it.

I found the handwritten beta II cd, only 1 cd indeed. I think I received it around the 25th of july 2001. Only 150 people were chosen, there were only 2 belgians...if I remeber correctly the other one was Agent Rayden.

Hell-demon
19-11-05, 10:57
In 2002 Neocron was mentioned in PC gamer. I thought nothing of it till the offline demo which I found was highly enjoyable.

Then i found out about beta 4 and signed up. Watching the installer was almost orgasmic. After beta 4 it hit retail and i can tell ya these forums were alive. I hit retail and played my first ever MMORPG I was 13 at the time.

Its now NC2 Im 16 havent capped a char once butr love this game. Its truely unique and I pray for a lip bug fix. Oh how I pray :rolleyes:

Mystic-Crusader
19-11-05, 11:09
My bro played it when it came out in UK, just saw it and it look more interesting than w/e i used to play O_o he quit after the summer when DoY was ment to come out, and didn't. So did i but i came back and well still here :lol:
I'd ask my bro if he remebers how he heard of NC in the first place, but hes never home and i never talk to him :rolleyes: + i wouldn't want him back hes a worse thank that iam :p

LTA
19-11-05, 14:36
When was a bf1942 community liaison for blueyonder 2 friends i played bf with would sit chatting about this game for hours, how they were doing poking for money etc...

Curiosity killed my cat and i brought the game.... europhic was my first day in nc even the sewers looked good back then :p

giga191
19-11-05, 16:05
I saw it on a program called Gamer TV in the UK on Bravo reviewing the game online.
. you sure it wasnt gamepad? thats where i first saw it

zii
19-11-05, 17:07
Woke up one morning after a big night with a Drom in my bed. She made me breakfast, and as parting gesture frisbeed a NC CDrom at me. Gob smacked - It hit me in the mouth.

PS. Someone on Mankind told me about NC during beta 2 or 3 but I never got in until retail.

bubba
19-11-05, 18:27
I wanted to get into the MMORPG experience after all my one player PC games got old (GTA3, etc.). I had only heard of EQ and was gonna try that. I started looking on the internet for reviews of EQ and to see if it was worth it and discovered all the MMORPG's that existed. I had no idea there were that many. I spent a couple hours reviewing all the different ones out there to see what would best fit my liking. I decided quickly not to play a fantasy one if I didn't have to. NC appeared to be the best fit and I tried it.

During my trial I joined a clan which helped me greatly and I never looked back. I tried EVE online a couple months back but quickly decided I belong here.