PDA

View Full Version : KK, an EXTREMELY simple improvement to combat

Exioce
08-11-05, 02:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Message Received **

Subject: Your recent demise

Attention Runner,

Having conducted a thorough investigation at the scene of your death, and having cross-referenced the physical evidence and residues with the MC5 runner genetic library, it is our conclusion that the following individuals were involved in your killing -

XGankerX
CorpseSexxor
PPUButtplug

We here at Tangent Forensics regret the unfortunate outcome of your recent encounter, and hope the above information will come useful in exacting retribution against any and all guilty parties.

** Message ends **

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mail includes the name of anyone who dealt damage 5 minutes prior to death. fits perfectly with RP - pro have access to all runner genetic records from MC5 via CityAdmin, and anti have stolen copies). vote 5 and sign please.

Tratos
08-11-05, 02:05
Wouldnt this be quite tricky to implement?

Cool idea though.

Cerbious
08-11-05, 02:08
actully a very good idea.. always a time when killed from behind when lvling or what not and didnt get chance to see name as to busy trying to save ur ass.

like a couple weeks ago my apu got jumped whilst half-buffed and half health in chaos cave, i lost my 2 slott ultimaed fully artifact 1 slot free holy thunderstorm to those bastards and i will never find out who to seek my revenge.

other games use this sort of thing, how hard would it be to impliment?

Jake Cutter
08-11-05, 02:20
There might be a way to track who killed who...after all, people take FS and SL hits for it.

I like the idea.

Regards,
Jake Cutter

elGringo
08-11-05, 02:21
a) there's not enought Tangent Investigators to investigate all my deaths
b) plasma has no name written on it
c) more mailspam & serverload/lag
d) this doesnt improve combat - it improves mailspam, serverload/lag and "DIRECT>wh1n3"

.. did I mention I didnt vote 5 stars? :eek:
(no personal offense - I support every1 who contributes -honest- suggestions... I dont agree with all of them tho' ;) )

Kozmos
08-11-05, 02:53
No.

Theres a local list, if you dont have the ability to read the names from that before you die, you really need to have another look at your con setup

Asurmen Spec Op
08-11-05, 03:03
Give para and DB a SL hit, thats better

Heavyporker
08-11-05, 06:51
My gosh, I'm blinded by Kozmo's brilliance!

Never mind that there are actually weapons from which people could kill other people at range! Everyone just does it up close and personal!

unreal
08-11-05, 07:09
No.

Theres a local list, if you dont have the ability to read the names from that before you die, you really need to have another look at your con setup

Server/client lag can be an issue there. Surely by now you've seen people either run past you or shoot you from local range and not appear on the local list until several seconds later. Not to mention you could get killed from someone sniping you or having a monk holy lightning you with that spells _very_ long range.

I think this would be tricky to implement if you want to get detailed data (ie, amounts of damage being done, runner details and whatnot), and if detailed data is what would be preferred (and usually is), I don't think the mail side of things is the way to go.

Edit: I think some similair thread has been started with a similair subject.

Spoon
08-11-05, 08:01
No.

True, but you can't see your local list when your droning.... :lol:

Riddle
08-11-05, 11:03
I would suggest that it be a screen prompt after genrep on Death.

Simple, less lag, and no mail spam.

"you were killed by XXX" you nib :D

Seriously i have been killed by the odd sniper i would like to track down!

Bugs Gunny
08-11-05, 11:27
Hey, when i kill someone at range with my xbow i want to remain anonymous.... euh... well... nevermind......

retr0n
08-11-05, 11:28
Ages ago, people asked for KK to track who did damage first etc, so that if an
allied ganker attacks you, you can defend yourself without taking an SL hit, this
is the same thing it's just the end result that's different, but you still need to
track who did damage etc...

Would be cool, exept for the mail thingy, make it appear in a window or something,
but not the mailbox. But it's not going to happend.

RogerRamjet
08-11-05, 11:47
Theres been instances where my local list hasnt updated for like 10 minutes, so i
could be running round in an OP full of people with the list of people in Tech Haven still there.

SorkZmok
08-11-05, 12:42
Theres been instances where my local list hasnt updated for like 10 minutes, so i
could be running round in an OP full of people with the list of people in Tech Haven still there.
Heh, i've got the best ooc screenshot ever for you! Gotta get it online when i'm back home. :)

On topic: Since i got that shit connection i get that alot too. Peoples namers showing up wrong or not at all or they just stay in local after they're gone already.

StevenJ
08-11-05, 13:37
I'm guessing this could - as someone pointed out - be done when the SL hit takes, without a huge upheaval of any code. Just put a call in the SL drop method which sends an email. This would mean getting numerous mails per kill though - one from each person - but I imagine would be the easiest way to do this.

So, say, Santos takes a SL hit for killing Illyria, that triggers the "I'm guilty" mail. As well as anyone else who took a SL hit for that kill.

I appreciate that this would result in MORE mails as someone said, but I guess this would be the easiest way to implement this - without knowing anything about the way NC's coded, so it may be a load of bull.

Scanner Darkly
08-11-05, 14:12
SL hits do not happen in Warzones - see the problem there?

Excellent idea Exioce, voted accordingly.

Bugs Gunny
08-11-05, 14:27
I don't like it. The local list is bad enough as it is.
Even the local list should be removed.
In a dangerous world you either see who killed you or you don't.
It's a lot more exciting if you only see people in targeting and not local list when you get attacked. A lot more fun for pvp too. Plus it'll add to the ingame paranoia a lot.

What's the point in being an evil sniper when your kill knows who "bagged" him?

Scanner Darkly
08-11-05, 16:40
I would like it if you could leave your "calling card" in a person's quick belt. Simply just a data disk/cube with your details and a short message/taunt to your victim.

I do think that in this era of high technology it should be possible to find out who killed you, but at a price. If you wish to find out, you should have to pay the "forensic team" a set amount to find out who your killer(s) were.

Bugs Gunny
08-11-05, 16:49
:D
I would like it if you could leave your "calling card" in a person's quick belt. Simply just a data disk/cube with your details and a short message/taunt to your victim.

I've been putting some xbow ammo in belts for a while now :D

gstyle40
08-11-05, 16:56
i wanna see something done. I dont like the guys who stealth in behind u while you're leveling, open fire then when you turn to engage they stealth back out so u cant lock on them. that sucks, if u start a fight, THEN FIGHT! O_o

Toxen
08-11-05, 17:11
Though this is and seems quite a simple task as there is player tracking ingame for the SL hits etc just rember how long it took to put in item tracking... if its actually in and completely working yet people still aren't really clear on that.

ZoVoS
08-11-05, 17:15
it would be simple to impliment as all people involved in your death already have a SL hit and fraction hit and so on (its still recorded so it wouldnt take much to add some scripting to send it on)

ill give u a 5 star for this

p.s. kill ur self a few times collect your own dog tags and leave them in peoples belts =D

this works 2 fold because if sumbody brags oh i have ur dog tags. say i bet u do. i leave them in peoples belts after i kill them =P

I don't like it. The local list is bad enough as it is.
Even the local list should be removed.
In a dangerous world you either see who killed you or you don't.
It's a lot more exciting if you only see people in targeting and not local list when you get attacked. A lot more fun for pvp too. Plus it'll add to the ingame paranoia a lot.

What's the point in being an evil sniper when your kill knows who "bagged" him?

however i agree the local list should be removed. then even if you knew who killed you youd have to target them and be close to them to know who u would have to kill for revenge

Heavyporker
08-11-05, 18:15
Scanner Darkly...

you already CAN do that.
---

1.) Hack victim's belt
2.) Drop in recordable datadisc or empty book.
3.) ???
4.) Profit!!!

retr0n
08-11-05, 18:18
On pluto I used to make nibs & call them stupid shit like "lore is gay", then i'd kill
myself a million times & collect all the dogtags and leave them in peoples belts.

Was fun as hell.

SorkZmok
08-11-05, 18:34
On pluto I used to make nibs & call them stupid shit like "lore is gay", then i'd kill
myself a million times & collect all the dogtags and leave them in peoples belts.

Was fun as hell.Ahahaha that's a hilarious idea actually! *runs off to get a trial account*
:lol:

ZoVoS
08-11-05, 19:04

Was fun as hell.

PMSL ahh clasic =D

StevenJ
08-11-05, 19:09
Scanner: sure, I see the problem there, but I don't think it's as huge an obstacle as making some new triggers up and integrating it into the whole NC system, though I have to admit, the SL in warzones prob didn't cross my mind before :P I guess it goes to highlight that what may seem simple to some of us to achieve may involve lots of other issues that we don't see on the surface.

Perhaps in a warzone this kind of retribution isn't even appropriate, like SL hits aren't deemed to be.

For the record, I imagine this idea could really stir up a whole new dimension to the game, though the sniper in me thinks "Hell no!" (for purely selfish reasons!) :P

Xian
08-11-05, 19:18
If it was put in, it should require some sort of (expensive) faction e-mail subscription system.

I don't see it working, though, unless the 'counter' of who hit you was reset every time you reached full HP or something similar. If I was doing stealth hit-and-runs I wouldn't want a 30 person list because a bunch of them did me 5 damage every now and then.

In terms of storyline - why in the hell would factions go and check on their runners dead bodies when they can just genrep?

Also, I for one really don't find it difficult to turn around and remember a line of text before I die.

zii
08-11-05, 19:28
Against this idea. I want to remain anonymous if I kill someone, unless they decied to use their eyes and look at the local list. If they cannot do this, then they weren't watching their back well enough.

If you want a compromise, then you could make this an expensive premium service. If you want to know who did it, then go to CityCom, pay them 50k, and the information is Emailed to you.

Please explain to me how this improves combat? Whether this system is implemented or not, it won't change the way people try and kill you, nor will it change the way you try and defend yourself. This doesn't improve the combat system.

As for your three runner examples (XGankerXCorpseSexxorPPUButtplug) should this not be replaced by your name, as it might have been you who tried and failed to attack innocent runner Mr.InnocentLeveller, but was died because the innocent runner's APU friend ran to his aide and HLed you into the ground. Should you get to know his name when he was defending his friend from you?

Damn, forgot to vote the minus stars/ crap idea option.

hegemonic
08-11-05, 21:32
collect your own dog tags and leave them in peoples belts =D

this works 2 fold because if sumbody brags oh i have ur dog tags. say i bet u do. i leave them in peoples belts after i kill them =P
Been doing this since I could hack... haven't had to kill myself though, MANY volunteers do that on a regular basis.

Cerbious
08-11-05, 23:37
i made a char on uranus called 'Hacked by Cerb' got a m8 to kill me 50 times, gathered in all tags and used em regually :D anyone ever open their belt to find a tag saying hacked by cerb? ^^

Scanner Darkly
09-11-05, 14:40
Scanner Darkly...

you already CAN do that.
---

1.) Hack victim's belt
2.) Drop in recordable datadisc or empty book.
3.) ???
4.) Profit!!!

Both of these are easily available in game :rolleyes: