PDA

View Full Version : How viable would it be to trade pay service for ingame ads?

Ryen
06-11-05, 03:01
After much self dilberation, I have come to a few conclusions.

Firstly, rekktor is not making a huge profit.

Secondly, many, many people from the NC beta's have left due to their beliefs that paying for an FPS game (which is what many believe NC to be) is "stupid".

Third, advertisements are already ingame (See the alienware ad's all over both cities).

So, why wouldn't it be viable to introduce in game advertisements the likes of which Anarchy Online has seen? Perhaps keep the pay service to remove advertisements and allow WOC skills? Of coruse, the bonuses for WOC skills would have to be increase.

Now, let's go a bit more indepth with this. Let's say rekktor keeps all of it's current monthly subscribers who don't see these advertisements. That's (let's say) 1000-1500 people. Now, once neocron goes free, thousands more will know about it's existance. AO has seen a huge SUBSCRIBER boost since the no-pay service has been in place, just because more people know about it and more people are playing it. I believe this would have a similar effect for neocron.

It would also remove one of the key problems people have with this game, which is "well there aren't many people playing which really ruins the atmosphere". AS a free service, this game would get plenty of attention.

Rekktor (A representative, preferably. Since I don't think the company is a self-sustaining entity), if you are reading this (of course you are) can you please give me input as to weather or not this is viable? If it is viable, are talks already underway? If it isn't, can you please state the reasons why this can't be done? I don't see anything that could possibly come from this except for good things, especially if current subscribers can keep their subscriptions and not see the ad's, making it more or less of a win-win-win situation (Win for the current subscribers, win for kk, win for people playing it because it's free).

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 03:19
No, the alien ware ads are far to much, KK isnt failing in money.

If add comes in like they did with AO, Ill leave.

"free" add games attract Guild war style 10 year olds.
Fuck
No

tbh

sanityislost
06-11-05, 04:12
would be nice if we got a free wee crab tho

SiL ..:..

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 04:15
would be nice if we got a free wee crab tho

SiL ..:..
Ive got a wee crab right here...

QuakCow
06-11-05, 04:19
i dunno, im not a huge fan of ads (advertisers suck ass at advretising) but if they made real warbot cola id sure as hell buy it >.>

Ryen
06-11-05, 04:22
Fuck
No

tbh

Wait, and people like this aren't already in neocron? I will admit there are plenty of people willing to give you their left and right kidneys to help a newbie, but there are still an abundance of these people too.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 04:29
Wait, and people like this aren't already in neocron? I will admit there are plenty of people willing to give you their left and right kidneys to help a newbie, but there are still an abundance of these people too.
At the current time go look in places like the FoMK beta forums youll find these people.
They are FAR to young for this game, and to be perfectly honest if this game went free, Skill, RP, PVP would all be gone to whiney children
"My parents wont let me play games with other people" are things I commonly hear.
How can you possible think that we WANT these kind of people in NC!?

extant
06-11-05, 04:29
Personally I say we keep paying for the game AND get some stupid add's in there because the banners on the city walls now still suck. That and if KK makes some extra money, maybe they can fix more bugs, add more items, and make an all around better experience. It costs money to make money, so I say put more back into the game and you'll get more out of it.

P.S...

I don't care what kind of people are in this game, we need more people playing. Incase those of you have a problem with whiney people, there is an Ignore feature in your game, hit F1.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 04:35
Personally I say we keep paying for the game AND get some stupid add's in there because the banners on the city walls now still suck. That and if KK makes some extra money, maybe they can fix more bugs, add more items, and make an all around better experience. It costs money to make money, so I say put more back into the game and you'll get more out of it.

P.S...

I don't care what kind of people are in this game, we need more people playing. Incase those of you have a problem with whiney people, there is an Ignore feature in your game, hit F1.
Im not talking about the whining, Im used to it around where I live.
Im talking about how they play Games, and how they play MMOs

eprodigy
06-11-05, 04:40
theres quite enough mentally-challenged counter-strike shit talking 15 year olds playing now even with the tiny population

waar
06-11-05, 04:42
I'm all for this idea. It will definetly increase the amount of players.

So? That means more people. I'd rather have 1,000 immature players on a server than 300 saints.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 04:43
I'm all for this idea. It will definetly increase the amount of players.

So? That means more people. I'd rather have 1,000 immature players on a server than 300 saints.
But ofcorse, 1000 para spamming TG people who will kill themselves if they loose?

Yes, NC needs MORE of these people

waar
06-11-05, 04:45
But ofcorse, 1000 para spamming TG people who will kill themselves if they loose?

Yes, NC needs MORE of these people

lmao?
ofcorse its a game, people who take the game to serious get all upity.
If you get jumped by 12 PPUs as CRP dont go all anal :mad: mode.
Just gigle at their shitty skills and walk off

I'm glad you agree.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 04:52
I'm glad you agree.
Oh I laugh like hell at CRP raids, but if this happens then thats ALL there will be.

Lexxuk
06-11-05, 05:10
AO is only free till 2007 or something, and only free if you use just AO, you have to pay monthly for the expansion packs (shadowlands, alien invasion, not sure about notum wars, and the new one), and all the best stuff comes from the expansions, so its only free if you play a gimped game.

extant
06-11-05, 05:24
Im not talking about the whining, Im used to it around where I live.
Im talking about how they play Games, and how they play MMOs

And what exactly is their style of play.. I don't know how different of a style you can get.. I mean we already have FF on Terra how bad can it be?

Clearly you guys havn't played in beta back then when you went into a level two sewar in the city you were confronted by fifteen people bashing rats to level up, now you'll be lucky if you see ten people in plaza one. I don't care who plays as long as theres people to play.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 05:34
And what exactly is their style of play.. I don't know how different of a style you can get.. I mean we already have FF on Terra how bad can it be?

Clearly you guys havn't played in beta back then when you went into a level two sewar in the city you were confronted by fifteen people bashing rats to level up, now you'll be lucky if you see ten people in plaza one. I don't care who plays as long as theres people to play.
Clearly all you want is 10 people in the sewers para shocking and HLing Rats.

extant
06-11-05, 06:17
More interesting than 5 people standing around staring at a wall afk.

QuakCow
06-11-05, 06:44
actually, 5 people staring at a wall is quite fun...for me, im the sixth person :p

Ryen
06-11-05, 06:56
I can't believe you guys are bickering about what kind of people play MMO's.

Look at ANY population in ANY MMO. They are all the same, 10% are nice guys, willing to give up their time to help a newbie. 90% of them are shit talking assholes with nothing better to do than attempt to ruin someones game experiance (I don't get pissed off when killed, just FYI. I'm just saying).

Neocron is no different, even in it's current state. It's just that the nicer guys are more vocal. The assholes still exist, and if this occured nothing would change as the percentage would increase but would stay balanced.

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 06:57
I can't believe you guys are bickering about what kind of people play MMO's.

Look at ANY population in ANY MMO. They are all the same, 10% are nice guys, willing to give up their time to help a newbie. 90% of them are shit talking assholes with nothing better to do than attempt to ruin someones game experiance (I don't get pissed off when killed, just FYI. I'm just saying).

Neocron is no different, even in it's current state. It's just that the nicer guys are more vocal. The assholes still exist, and if this occured nothing would change as the percentage would increase but would stay balanced.
15% nice 15% lack of typing ability children rest-quiet types or assholes

Ryen
06-11-05, 07:12
15% nice 15% lack of typing ability children rest-quiet types or assholes

This is much more accurate than mine. Really.

Point is, you guys seem to be afraid of a larger population. Are you HONESTLY that xenophobic?

QuakCow
06-11-05, 07:31
big words :(

but uh...yea..i can deal with assholes, bring em on

we demand more people (which indirectly means more assholes)!

Kame
06-11-05, 07:38
What about paying in game cash for in game ads for whatever runners want ?

(i.e. clan recruitement, and just overall good atmosphere)

id like to see ppl wasting money and time on making a KOS add for a runner.

or just a controversial propaganda

Asurmen Spec Op
06-11-05, 07:42
I see it now, Paying 100usd for putting a bounty on some one for two days

extant
06-11-05, 10:14
he said in game cash =P and actually in the nema magazine that went out, out of game they did ad's like that for ingame credits from what i remember in nc1

Argent
06-11-05, 11:24
!on lleH

Normal adds would just totally ruin the little immersion that's left in the game. Libresse ads next to Pussy Club, right on. :rolleyes:

Only reason why I tolerate Alienware ads is that there aren't too many of them, and they fit the atmosphere pretty well, being only logos etc.

Ryen
06-11-05, 17:11
What about paying in game cash for in game ads for whatever runners want ?

(i.e. clan recruitement, and just overall good atmosphere)

id like to see ppl wasting money and time on making a KOS add for a runner.

or just a controversial propaganda

No because that completely ruins the point of this thread. Infact this has NOTHING to do with the topic.

zii
06-11-05, 17:25
I actually went to the Alienware site because of these in-game ads and even consider buying one. They look nice.

At the start I was against this idea, but I don't mind seeing a few more ads that fit the this game's style.

Obsidian X
06-11-05, 17:46
Definitely not. I doubt advertising revenue alone would sustain NC's overheads. And as many people mentioned, paying a subscription fee is a good method of idiot-control. Anyone remember NC2 Open Beta, and the ridiculous behaviour that went on there? Thats because it was free, and anyone could have an account.

Heavyporker
06-11-05, 20:38
Actually, well-done advertising ingame could raise KK's revenue.

It's just got to be done well. As in, actual storylines that introduces an analogue for these companies. Like Alienware - in RL, it assembles kickass computers, right? So ingame, you could have like one Alienware store that sells hacktools with HCK bonus or something. THAT WOULD MAKE A WHOLE FRIGGING LOT OF SENSE.

Koshinn
06-11-05, 20:44
Conquer Online somehow does it. It's a FREE MMORPG. WTF. It has thousands and thousands of players, dozens of different servers. It's FREE. You can choose to buy stuff (Dragon Balls) for real money, or you can work really really hard in-game to get them.

I'm not saying it's a better game (it isn't, it's basically a better Diablo 2), but they somehow make it work.

www.conqueronline.com

It's been running for years... NC2 is much better but it's an example of how another MMORPG does it free and still makes ends meet somehow.

Ryen
06-11-05, 23:05
Actually, well-done advertising ingame could raise KK's revenue.

It's just got to be done well. As in, actual storylines that introduces an analogue for these companies. Like Alienware - in RL, it assembles kickass computers, right? So ingame, you could have like one Alienware store that sells hacktools with HCK bonus or something. THAT WOULD MAKE A WHOLE FRIGGING LOT OF SENSE.

That would, but it would be going a -bit- too far, since this would show everyone the advertisements.

john irons
07-11-05, 00:39
I work for in-game advertisements
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies.

[ edited ]

Heavyporker
07-11-05, 00:50
Really, mister expert?

Then why not enlighten us? Or is that just a big steaming pile of precious top secret information you're sitting on?

Ryen
07-11-05, 00:51

Ok then, instead of ridiculing us based on our previous knowledge, why not tell us just how things work?

Clive tombstone
07-11-05, 01:08
I totally agree with heavy on this one (on his previous post that is) Hell, Neocron doesnt feel like a Hugely Conglomerate city, it feels more like a sorta Concrete Unreal map, IF more stores were actually put in, AND adds were placed by real adverts, KK could infact make some nice scratch.

I like the idea of placing Items in stores for real Adverts, hell why not even NAME some of the items sold there like "Alien warez tl 110 Hacktool" or some actual Furniture for your house, hell even an Alien ware PC or laptop! rockin!

Or maybe some other electronics or whatnot from sony or some smaller electronics company, hell even food companies if they really wanted to. I see that it could work, but some people could or possibly wouldnt like this, The nice alternative for this though rather than making it free, would be to maybe reduce the actual monthly subscription fee.

Dunno, maybe Im goin off on a tangent, but who knows, any thoughts guys?

john irons
07-11-05, 02:19
thoes who say do not know,

thoes who know do not say.

Clive tombstone
07-11-05, 02:23
those who quote crappy proverbs arn't helping :D

eprodigy
07-11-05, 02:31

uhh.. sounds like his previous post.. this guy knows everything. unfortunetly he won't enlighten the rest of us..

I work for parashock

Dribble Joy
07-11-05, 03:00
NC is too niche, and small scale for trying to survive on ads income alone.
It's too small for the required expense for people to consider buying ads, not nearly enough exposure.

Remember that NC only appears and plays like an FPS, underneith it is (coding wise) MMORPG, which means the server requirements are vastly more intensive.

And I would MUCH prefer 300 saints than 1000 cunts.

Ryen
07-11-05, 03:21
thoes who say do not know,

thoes who know do not say.

I can't wait to go into one of your threads and tell you that you don't have any clue what your talking about. Then back down when confronted.

Ryen
07-11-05, 03:22
NC is too niche, and small scale for trying to survive on ads income alone.

Read my post agian.

Koshinn
07-11-05, 04:19
Read my post agian.
double posting for the lose. :(

DJ, what do saints and cunts have to do with this?

Clive tombstone
07-11-05, 04:26
What I think he ment was that 300 saints (meaning people pay for the game monthly, while maintaining a low pop) to 1000 cunts (free game, noobs out the wazzu, you know, 13m year old smacktards and whatnot)

PEace out

eprodigy
07-11-05, 04:47
DJ, what do saints and cunts have to do with this?
im certain he was referencing this:

retr0n
07-11-05, 13:20
They could simply have different servers for it, the "cunts" could only acces one
server, and the paying customers would be able to make chars on the rest, ad &
cunt free.

But even at NCs prime time there were still alot of "cunts", paying ones. As long
as the ads are made to fit the game and not break the atmosphere, it's cool by
me, if it means more people that's all good.

As a paying customer you would ufcourse not see these ads, as I understand it,
or am I getting something wrong?

Riddle
07-11-05, 15:01
They could simply have different servers for it, the "cunts" could only acces one
server, and the paying customers would be able to make chars on the rest, ad &
cunt free.

But even at NCs prime time there were still alot of "cunts", paying ones. As long
as the ads are made to fit the game and not break the atmosphere, it's cool by
me, if it means more people that's all good.

As a paying customer you would ufcourse not see these ads, as I understand it,
or am I getting something wrong?

Serious over use of the "C" word ...I nearly choked on my lunch dude :lol:

Kame
07-11-05, 18:59
so if u want an answer instead of ideas :

like a Coke ad in NC ??

shit id rather see WB Cola.

Totally unacceptable, and so shity, that would just kill every last bits of RP that is left in NC. so fuck that stupid idea

to get back on my idea : Clanned runners should be able to buy with ingame cash for AD spaces in NC/DoY.

Vampire222
07-11-05, 19:07
i for one dont really give a flying duck whether it fits the athmosphere or not, if it brings in more players, its fine with me, want nc back to the level it used to be..

Ryen
07-11-05, 23:16
so if u want an answer instead of ideas :

like a Coke ad in NC ??

shit id rather see WB Cola.

Totally unacceptable, and so shity, that would just kill every last bits of RP that is left in NC. so fuck that stupid idea

to get back on my idea : Clanned runners should be able to buy with ingame cash for AD spaces in NC/DoY.

[ edited ]

Kame
07-11-05, 23:22
[ edited ]

Ryen
08-11-05, 00:40
[ edited ]

[ edited ]

john irons
08-11-05, 19:37
No, the alien ware ads are far to much, KK isnt failing in money.

If add comes in like they did with AO, Ill leave.

Fuck
No

tbh

[ edited ]

Lodar
09-11-05, 02:49
Lets keep this thread free from trolls and flames, please.