PDA

View Full Version : I gank, therefore I am

Zeninja
05-11-05, 06:50
Hi,

I've been recently put on ignore by a person on Terra, after having sent her a PM, and I didn't have a clue of why she made this (well I'm new to Terra and I never had any trouble or even any discussion with her).

I asked her later (using an alt she couldn't know), but as a reply I just got some "stop harassing me or else I'll call a GM - muted". The only thing I said in that damn PM, was trying to suggest her it's some kind of weird running down on forums players who kill randomly allies when you're precisely adopting yourself willingly such behaviour ingame (which is a way of playing NC I dislike, but that I have to respect like many others).

So I supposed she did not appreciate me calling her a "ganker" ; though, this is the word I'm always using for calling allied faction killers (or wannabe killers in this case ^^). That's relatively new word for me, since I've never seen or even heard it anywhere before I played Terra. I never intended using this as an insult, but maybe I'm misusing it, like you readers could do without even knowing ?

English not being my mother tongue, I made a search on my dictionnary about the "gank" verb. I haven't found that word. So I tried using Google, and here is what I found :

gank v. to rob, rip off, or con (someone).

Categories: English United States. Associated with or special to the United States or American people, places, or things. United States. Crime & Prisons Drugs Slang

Editorial Note: See also gank, n.

Citations: 1989 Karen Dillon Chicago Tribune (July 19) “Youths get 79 years for beating elderly” p. C10: In their confession to police, the two youths said they would go “make a run” or “gank an o.g.,” which means they would drive around until they spotted an elderly woman, usually at a bank or shopping center or near a school. 1990 Alan Gottleib Denver Post (Colo.) (July 8) “One sibling resists entangling net, sets eyes on college, future” p. 13A: “Base had just ganked a tweaker,” James said—conned a crack addict out of her money. 1991 John M. McGuire St. Louis Post-Dispatch Everyday magazine (Mo.) (July 8) “The New Breed Young St. Louis Cops Look For Seasoning, Respect—And Yogurt” p. 1D: “Don’t gank me,” Kelly says. As a verb, Kelly later explains, “gank” means “to chump you, or play you for a fool.” 1991 Ken Kolker Grand Rapids Press (Mich.) (Nov. 27) “Hickman tells of plan to sell fake cocaine to undercover agent”: Hickman said he and Maurice Pointer planned to “gank”—the street term for rob—the undercover agent, posing as a customer, by selling him fake cocaine for $28,000 on April 8 on the MSU campus in East Lansing. 1994 Ron Stallworth (Congressional Testimony) (Feb. 23) “Influence of Lyrics on Children”: Let him think he’s gettin’ over while I gank him for his riches robbin’, stealln’, killin’ at will— 1994 Mary Carole McCauley Milwaukee Journal (Wisc.) (June 24) “Petition sheds light on events of slaying, but motive is murky” p. B3: One told the others, “Let’s gank him,” which the 17-year- old understood to mean that he wanted to rob Eshman.

So the question is now, is "ganker" an adapted word for people that just don't give a fuck about the F6 faction board ?

That's all folks.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-05, 07:24
I doubt anyone cares, if you are who I think you are and you were ignored by who I think you were(fucking nice move KK, making me go all political to speak about ingame =/ ) then you were ignored for talking to much

Zeninja
05-11-05, 07:35
edited

hegemonic
05-11-05, 07:41
Hmm.. Z... weren't you zone-whoring at P2 last night?? :)

Oh and "gank" is a general term in U.S. English for taking full advantage over someone, usually as a group. Kind of like getting owned.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-05, 07:44
Looook maw I can redo quotes too.
Now please, stop talking about things you don't know in order to make this thread being close, just because I'm refering to your buddy with the decency of not naming him.
Hm, Im just saying you werent ignored for calling him a ganker, you were ignored for whining far to much.
I was on vent with the personal we are implying but not mentioning because we dont want nidd to lock it.

Aint that Right Lil T.

Zeninja
05-11-05, 07:44
Hmm.. Z... weren't you zone-whoring at P2 last night?? :)
No I wasn't, sorry.

suler
05-11-05, 08:11
Like mentioned already, ganking is killing someone when you have the advantage. Since that feels like being ripped off.

PS The current faction system is stupid and the fact that we're supposed to follow it blindly makes me sick.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-05, 08:16
It apears that I was totally wrong about who the thread starter was, I am sorry.

Zeninja
05-11-05, 08:17
edited

Zeninja
05-11-05, 08:22
The current faction system is stupid and the fact that we're supposed to follow it blindly makes me sick.
I loved the old faction system, and I felt really sorry when I discovered the new one (though I try to respect it as much as I can, like never attacking any ally unless HE attacks me first).

But I suppose I'm not the first to say so.

It apears that I was totally wrong about who the thread starter was, I am sorry.
It appears that the one I was refering to (in the initial post) was a little misleaded too, this should be explaining his weird reaction.

I have nothing to hide, my chars are Adeline (CS) and Zeratul (CA). And I really doubt you ever hear them IG whining about anything out of character.

This would be great if someone told that to him, now that I got ignored on my whole set chars... anytime... feel free of discussing about the gankers (wether or not you consider yourself as one too :cool: )

naimex
05-11-05, 08:58
Ganking is bad... Killing in selfdefense is ok.

Problem is most gankers are ganking, so they arent defending themselves, since you cant defend when attacking, but you can play defensive.

Anyways, it doesn´t really help writing about it here, since no matter what people say here, there will still be people doing it ingame.

Sorry to hear you got muted for calling a person a ganker tho...

Anyways, it reminds me of a story from not so long ago.

Myself and a few others went to Pepper Park to kill, ******** and in other ways destroy the way of life for the Neocron Inhabitants, them being considered enemies of the Fallen Angels Ministry of foreign affairs.

And some random newly brainwashed citizen crosses our path, and gets a trip through the replica, however, the Synaptics in his head made him forget where he was and why, so he kept coming back through the same Replicater, only to find himself suddenly back where he started.

He then referred to me as ganker.

Yet, I wasn´t actually ganking.

I was making an offensive against the repressions of Reeza.
By raping, murdering and through brutality, my attempt to undermine the safe feeling in neocron city, in order to make people see how much Reeza is lying, and join the Dome's forces.

But enough of this babbling bubbub now..

Cuz now.....

I'm Going to look for Vae Victis´s signature image...

And I have returned triumphant...

BEHOLD:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/3374/doubleposters2zs3es0bm3gc.gif

Gotterdammerung
05-11-05, 10:22
please keep things of this nature in-game