PDA

View Full Version : fraps

giga191
31-10-05, 19:19
I'm having problems with my fraps movies taking up a hell of a lot of space. I tried making a vid of me killing a swamp cave bat and it takes up 315mb of space. I've got it set to 25 fps, no sound recording, half screen mode. Any ideas?

suler
31-10-05, 19:55
I've never used fraps, however I'd guess it will always be super big. Reencode it to divx or xvid using virtual dub or nandub or something.

retr0n
31-10-05, 20:11
Correct me if im wrong, but fraps vids are uncompressed after you record them,
and thus you need a compression codec to cut the size.

Virtual dub works well as suggested.

Asurmen Spec Op
31-10-05, 20:22
Correct, they are uncompressed.

Most of my movies have about 1GB of fraps and turn out < 50MB

giga191
31-10-05, 20:29
so mpeg or divx? which one do people prefer?

Rachius
31-10-05, 21:14
Like they said, Fraps movies are recorded in raw mode (otherwise it would have to encode it as you played, which would eat up your system).

I'd suggest you either use Rad video tools (google it) or just Windows Movie Maker to turn them into wmv.

Asurmen Spec Op
31-10-05, 21:15
I use Window movie maker personally, but I also edit in it too

james_finn
01-11-05, 12:16
After just completing a movie (which will be released to the community shortly- as soon as I get some mirrors up) I have 30GB of video from ingame footage taken with FRAPS, the data recorded by FRAPS is raw, use adobe premier pro 1.5 trial, its got 30 days, and you can do some really cool stuff with it!

And then Id recommend outputting from that in another uncompressed file, and then use virtualdub with a xvid/divx codec and encode it through vd!

Delphi