PDA

View Full Version : javaw.exe

Dribble Joy
28-10-05, 20:00
My comp has been a bit slow of late, and when I looked in the process window, there was this prog called javaw.exe. It's using about 140 megs of ram atm and has been running since I last restarted this comp (over 5 days ago).

Is is a java thing? Or something nasty?

Tostino
28-10-05, 20:05
My comp has been a bit slow of late, and when I looked in the process window, there was this prog called javaw.exe. It's using about 140 megs of ram atm and has been running since I last restarted this comp (over 5 days ago).

Is is a java thing? Or something nasty?
It is a java thing. When I run my L2 server (coded in Java) it has that prosess runing, but it could be bad, beacuse if you aren't runing any java programs you know of...

Nidhogg
28-10-05, 20:09
It's essentially a console-less java runtime engine. You're running some Java program within it - do you know what that program might be? Check your startup programs.

N

elGringo
28-10-05, 20:09
this is part of the java runtime environment... can be used by various applications (most commonly associated with a well known file sharing tool *coughs*)

Usually this process is not harmful .. but I'd look up what directory it is located in to make sure it isnt some other process that borrowed the name to appear harmless ;)
You might also want to check for the JRE version installed... should always be the latest build, memory usage is being optimized with every update.

/edith: eww.. gotta spice up my english, def. typing too slow *pokes nid* :p

Process name: Java command line tool
Product: Java
Company: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
File: javaw.exe
Security Rating: low

"javaw.exe" belongs to Java from Sun Microsystems, Inc..
The javaw.exe command is identical to java.exe, except that
with javaw.exe there is no associated console window.
This implies you can't get it to display the version with -version
since there is no console to display it on.
Use javaw.exe when you don't want a command prompt window
to appear. The javaw.exe launcher will, however, display a dialog
box with error information if a launch fails for some reason.

mehirc
28-10-05, 20:17
Do you run Azureus?

kurai
28-10-05, 20:22
Azureus is a likely candidate - 140Mb is a pretty average memory footprint for it.

The current 2.3.0.4 main release starts a small Azureus.exe loader applet (2Mb or so) which in turn starts a javaw.exe virtual machine instance that does the real work.

In the 2.3.0.5 betas from about b40 or so they changed this so that the main thread displays as Azureus.exe instead of javaw.exe

Dribble Joy
28-10-05, 23:18
Ahha, yes I run Azereus, and running torrents since last week :p.

Cheers peeps. Forgot it had java stuff in it.