PDA

View Full Version : Halflife 2 - Lost Coast

Brammers
28-10-05, 03:24
It's out...who is downloading and playing it?

Or is anyone crying at the specs required to run it?

Gotterdammerung
28-10-05, 06:03
it was too short

|R@zor|
28-10-05, 06:44
It was way too short, only about 10-15 minutes of gameplay in it.

That aside it was without doubt the best looking thing i've ever seen in a game, i managed to blow my 6600GT a few weeks ago so i was forced to play it with an old Radeon 9600XT, but it managed fine with a very playable framerate even with full HDR enabled.

The difference HDR makes is pretty stunning.

jini
28-10-05, 07:00
Going to run it on my 6800GT

jini
28-10-05, 09:48
what to say? just fantastic. realism in full, however they have left one little detail out. when you walk in to the sea you produce water waves. these were not modeled. strange, because they have simulated a lot of other details. i wonder what comes next...

CMaster
28-10-05, 14:11
Tellls me STEAM servers are too busy.

Tratos
28-10-05, 14:26
*Loads steam for the first time in yonks*

Damn the system requirements dont half show my PCs age, lol

Think i might have to save alot and get myself a new box :)

Tratos
28-10-05, 15:46
Very short game play and my PC went "MMMNNGGGHHH" everytime somthing unexpected happened - i need more RAM, lol

Was very spangly though.

CMaster
28-10-05, 18:03
Ok, that was REAL short, and I didn't even notice any big differnece from HL2...

Brammers
28-10-05, 19:01
I tried to run it on my rather dated box. it gave me this nice warning, before trying to run the game. It didn't, of course run at all.

Those are probably the highest requirements I've ever seen.

QuakCow
28-10-05, 19:25
well i ran it with 512 of ram and a memory freeing program.

was crazy short though, took me like 6 minutes just to figure out how to get down to the lower level :(

nobby
28-10-05, 19:36
Well i'm pissed off!

Aparently My Geforce FX 5950 Ultra doesn't support DX 9.0 according to steam and I didn't get any fucking luxury Lighting effects.

Waste of 20 minutes IMO!

Skusty
28-10-05, 20:50
It was short but COOL GRAPHICS! lol, had driver problems first, it just started to freeze, then mate linked me to new drivers and BLAM YAY!

Brammers
29-10-05, 12:30
Well after windows XP decided to self-nuke itself on my new PC, I tried the coast to coast....Wow, just wow! The Church is soo good, I like it when you blow the windows out.

RogerRamjet
29-10-05, 12:35
Is it a free add on?

Brammers
29-10-05, 12:52
Is it a free add on?

Yes if you got Halflife 2, just open up Steam and it should be there for you to install.

[TgR]KILLER
29-10-05, 13:23
lol 2.9 proc thats sick. even quake 4 runs without my probs on my oced 2200 amd @ 2.1 ghz. and 512 ram. only would get the vid rec with the 6800 gt

Brammers
29-10-05, 13:33
Edit: Delete this post - Double post.

CMaster
29-10-05, 16:16
It told me 2.2ghz Proc was recommeneded (mine is 1.8, but it is a 2200+)

jini
29-10-05, 18:13
Well after windows XP decided to self-nuke itself on my new PC, I tried the coast to coast....Wow, just wow! The Church is soo good, I like it when you blow the windows out.
the church is reference work, amazing... those lamps... have never seen something like it, but also, take a look at the crossbow. you get mirroring effect on its lens diopter.. and what about the iris simulation? or the sollar flare? its amazing

Kozmos
29-10-05, 18:42
Its valve showing off ;)

Morganth
29-10-05, 20:15
Glad I've got a 3 Ghz Processor, 2 Gb of RAM and an x850 XT then, gonna give it a go later :p

Rachius
29-10-05, 20:28
it was too short
Its a tech demo, not an expansion pack or sequel.

Well i'm pissed off!

Aparently My Geforce FX 5950 Ultra doesn't support DX 9.0 according to steam and I didn't get any fucking luxury Lighting effects.

Waste of 20 minutes IMO!
GeForce FX series cards don't properly support DirectX9. When forced to use DX9, they complain - a lot.

and I didn't even notice any big differnece from HL2...
Try going to the options and turning HDR on, if your card supports it.

Rachius
29-10-05, 20:40
http://vao.flawlesssoul.com/lc/01.jpg
http://vao.flawlesssoul.com/lc/02.jpg
http://vao.flawlesssoul.com/lc/03.jpg
http://vao.flawlesssoul.com/lc/04.jpg

Skusty
29-10-05, 20:58
Ye the HDR technics is great! :D

CMaster
29-10-05, 21:09
Btw, due to some bad map design, you can get into the docks over there. It all gets a little buggy.

Heavyporker
29-10-05, 21:46
Since I don't have HL2 or a working vid card, I downloaded the video to watch.

DEAR CRAHN IT LOOKS FUCKING PHOTOREALISITIC!

I simply can't believe the lighting.

And the old guy's face was eerily real. I actually stopped and rewound the part where he talks, I can't get over his eye wrinkles... So eerily real.

|R@zor|
30-10-05, 02:20
Yeah the HDR gives it a very realistic look.

here's a couple of screens i took that i thought looked really good.
http://home.btconnect.com/stuart/screens/lostcoast/lostcoast2.jpg
http://home.btconnect.com/stuart/screens/lostcoast/lostcoast1.jpg

Seven
30-10-05, 02:27
Played it this afternoon and it looks freaking awesome! :cool:

QuakCow
30-10-05, 02:48
i loved how the light came through the windows in the church when they were broken, reminded me of crahn hq, but better

Skusty
30-10-05, 11:20
Yeah, the cathedral was stunning....

But where is LostCoast played in? I think it looks abit like italy to be honest... ;)

retr0n
30-10-05, 12:16
Yeah, the cathedral was stunning....

But where is LostCoast played in? I think it looks abit like italy to be honest... ;)

Hint... * Lost * Coast...

Scanner Darkly
30-10-05, 12:32
Took 30 minutes to download and 10-15 minutes to finish on hard difficulty - something is wrong here. It's really little more than a tech demo for High Dynamic Range Lighting. I thought the Lost Coast would have you driving around some and exploring a bunch of different places - similarly to the way you do in the main game.

I had to turn HDR off to actually play the game and I had this really odd bug. Whenever I killed an enemy I saw a dead body standing up with arms and legs outstretched. This happened at about 20 different spots in the map. Spooky...

Skusty
30-10-05, 13:27
Hint... * Lost * Coast...
I ment country...

Rachius
30-10-05, 16:06
Took 30 minutes to download and 10-15 minutes to finish on hard difficulty - something is wrong here. It's really little more than a tech demo for High Dynamic Range Lighting. I thought the Lost Coast would have you driving around some and exploring a bunch of different places - similarly to the way you do in the main game.

I had to turn HDR off to actually play the game and I had this really odd bug. Whenever I killed an enemy I saw a dead body standing up with arms and legs outstretched. This happened at about 20 different spots in the map. Spooky...

Theres nothing "wrong", it *IS* just a tech demo for HDR lighting.

As for the enemy bug, happens to a lot of people. If you're that bothered about it, check the Steam forums.

I ment country...

The Lost Coast is so named because it was a section of the beach area along the HL2 route that they left out. Its in whatever country HL2 was set in, which wasn't named at all.

Cor
30-10-05, 16:16
Very Nice Graphics To short, in a word sucked.

Tratos
30-10-05, 16:24
Oh btw did anyone noticed that the chandeleer (Wrong spelling i guess) isnt actualy attached to the ceiling? and the cable its on just sits still while you twat the chandeleer with the G-Gun? lol

Also when i played it half way to the ground i shot the lift with the G-Gun and well....it hurt when i hit the ground, lol

jini
30-10-05, 16:39
also, who has noticed the baraccudas in the water?

Scanner Darkly
31-10-05, 00:21
Theres nothing "wrong", it *IS* just a tech demo for HDR lighting.

As for the enemy bug, happens to a lot of people. If you're that bothered about it, check the Steam forums.

The Lost Coast is so named because it was a section of the beach area along the HL2 route that they left out. Its in whatever country HL2 was set in, which wasn't named at all.

Yep just a little disappointed at it being just an interactive tech demo, then again it is completely free. Not bothered by the standing corpses, just freaked out. Almost as freaky when I cloaned Alyx in the Nova Prospect (prison level??) so I had two Alyxes following me around. Now that's the kind of bug I can get behind.

Rachius
31-10-05, 06:10
Yep just a little disappointed at it being just an interactive tech demo, then again it is completely free. Not bothered by the standing corpses, just freaked out. Almost as freaky when I cloaned Alyx in the Nova Prospect (prison level??) so I had two Alyxes following me around. Now that's the kind of bug I can get behind.

Quite a few people seemed to get a cloned Alyx at some point (Nova Prospekt, or earlier before you get to the lab)

Once you're inside Nova Prospekt, its easy though. Could have used an army of Alyx clones on the beach when breaking in.