PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Waste Damage?

hegemonic
26-10-05, 16:58
Reading this post by retr0n: http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=129139 got me thinking...

In the days of old ( :) ) you used to lose health from the pollution while venturing out into the wastes. It was not a giant amount but it was enough to make you think twice before running to tag TechHaven's GR as a 0/2 (which I always did anyway). It's a small feature of the game, but it really adds to the atmosphere (no pun intended) of a post-apocalyptic gameworld.

Why not bring back waste damage? Obviously if you are wearing Power Armor, it should not affect you because of the built-in filters in the suit already.

hegemonic
26-10-05, 17:01
Meant to add a poll.. but messed it up :(

Please post:
YES or NO
and why.
Thanks.

Hell-demon
26-10-05, 17:02
making this a poll would help.

yes it would be nice feature. It would annoy some but it would add atmosphere.

But maybe KK had good reasons not to keep this thing in game and scraped it long ago :angel:

retr0n
26-10-05, 17:32
Yes, for the same reason as above.

Mighty Max
26-10-05, 17:38
no,

it would be a nice effect, yet it will reult in

* getting on your nevers in no time
* forum flames, why they f*ing changed it.

Brammers
26-10-05, 17:49
Voted Yes - It is possible to run to Tech Haven from either DoY or NC as a 0/2 (Great care is needed if going from DoY.) A 0/2 persons is not fit or strong enough to survive a lowish mob out there, so how can he survive the radiation and pollution? However it should be possible to use an enclosed vehicle (Like a Rhino and Hovercarrier) to get to somewhere like Tech Haven.

Downside, it would prevent newbie players from exploring beyond their home, and I think the 1st part of the TS epic finishes in Neocron.

I've been playing NC for nearly 3 years, and I don't remember this feature, was it a Beta feature and anyone know why it was taken out?

Slightly off topic, areas like the Deserts and Canyons should do heat damage, as it's hot in those sectors! And since the wastelands is full of pollution, there should be clouds rolling around which limit visibilty and do damage to the players. Just imagine an opfight in a storm with zero visibility.

Dade Murphey
26-10-05, 17:55
I'm voting no...it would be an annoying feature even at higher lvls depending on how it would actually work...and if you had to get and xtra implant or be forced to wear power armor that would be just another annoyance (none of my builds use pa, so I'd be annoyed to be forced into it)...there's already plenty that takes our life from us in the wastes...so we really need something doing it that we can't kill to make stop?

and to brammers...I started in like beta 3 and I don't remember it being in then...but I might not have noticed

Vae Victis
26-10-05, 18:21
I don't know what to decide, it would be fun having it, but me wearing PA on a tank/PE? not a chance.
(unless they bring back the old anti radiation suits for dex115 or dex105, cant remember which one.

PE in a PA like that = pwnd.org)

Dribble Joy
26-10-05, 18:30
I've been thinking about this for a while actually. Wrote a bit of stuff about it for my next Big Fix Thread (if I ever post it).

Anyway, general jist was of an x-ray stack in the WL sectors, lethal to low lvl players and a serious annoyance to high lvls.
However, rad suits (A PA type) would be availiable from small n00b runs, untill a runner has enough money/lvl to get an immunisation op at a sufficiently advanced med centre (NC, TH or DoY). After that the suit isn't needed anymore.

Nidhogg
26-10-05, 18:33
Poll added.

N

hegemonic
26-10-05, 19:04
Poll added.

N
Thanks Nid.

Another benefit of some wasteland damage is that it makes driving a bigger tradeskill for lowbies.

As for particulars, I wouldn't want the waste damage to be so bad as to be an annoyance to high lvl players. Just merely a hindrance on lower level players while their bodies get acclimated to the harsh environment of the Neocron gameworld and add some color to the game.

zii
26-10-05, 19:10
I shold have suspected that a poll would have resulted.
I voted yes, but this background radition should only annoying for those with no xray resist. Some points in xray or the armour equivilent should make the damage negligable. However, a 0/2 would have to take few medikits for the journey, and a PPU would be healing a fair bit. A change like this should not make it really difficult for a 0/2 to make it from NC to TH, but it should be something to consider. Also this should be zones specific. In zones close to the NC entrances there ought to be zero background radiation such as cliffline and anything with nice trees, but out in Canyons, Desert, and Mealstrom etc there ought to be some minor xray dmg. I think we're looking for atmosphere here, not something that's going to throw the system out of whack. Runners in vechicles could be unaffected by this damage.

Dade Murphey
26-10-05, 19:13
if it were a similar setup to what zii just outlined I could go for it but if it were to where you were forced into PA or other types of armor or were forced to wearing some new chip...then no

Asurmen Spec Op
26-10-05, 19:20
Yes, dont have it to much, but it SHOULD exist.

This game needs more of its RP base back in, the game has a really good story

Toilet-Duck
26-10-05, 20:39
making this a poll would help.

yes it would be nice feature. It would annoy some but it would add atmosphere.

But maybe KK had good reasons not to keep this thing in game and scraped it long ago :angel:

Agree

Hell-demon
26-10-05, 20:49
It would be annoying actually to have radiation. For one op wars is bad enough getting hit by the enemy but radiation as well :wtf:

Also if peopel are going to wear PA and other equipment to stop the radiation then whats the point of having it about if people are gonna be immune to it. There are other ways to add atmosphere to the wastes such as Evo coming soon but also things like derelict buildings or strange structures like we have now.

Thinking about it the radiation would suck. I can see why KK got rid of it :o

retr0n
26-10-05, 20:52
It would be annoying actually to have radiation. For one op wars is bad enough getting hit by the enemy but radiation as well :wtf:

Also if peopel are going to wear PA and other equipment to stop the radiation then whats the point of having it about if people are gonna be immune to it. There are other ways to add atmosphere to the wastes such as Evo coming soon but also things like derelict buildings or strange structures like we have now.

Well it doesnt have to be alot, just enough that you notice it (for a high-level)
but it would hurt an 0/2 a bit.

The wastes are suppose to be radiated though, aren't they? According to story
and all?...

Paper Dragon
26-10-05, 21:20
Well it doesnt have to be alot, just enough that you notice it (for a high-level)
but it would hurt an 0/2 a bit.

The wastes are suppose to be radiated though, aren't they? According to story
and all?...

Psi-Monks are also supposed to be despised by most of Neocron's population.

I wouldn't look to the prime fiction in order to justify something that may very well compromise someone's enjoyment of the game. I agree with the view that it would just turn into an irritating little addition rather than a welcome challenge.

nightwind
26-10-05, 22:01
i was read the thread and saw some one comment about ths being a pain for higher level chars how about making people wearing pa immune to this damage? i think that would fix that problem

sorry did not notice some one said this idea already

LiL T
26-10-05, 22:09
I'm saying yes but it should not not be over the top, like 5 hitpoints every 1 min to add to immersion, however the radiation could be stronger around impact points. A nuclear war could kick off with DOY launching nukes at strategic targets close to Neocron (story wise) This could cause Neocron to respond by nuking most northern sectors killing thousands of civilians, City mercs decide to respond acting as a peace keeping force. The city mercs condemn neocrons actions after there base feels the effects of the nuclear fallout from the bombs. The city mercs launch there massive attack on Neocron after signing a peace treaty with the Dome, Neocron is bombed back into the stone age woohoo.

LiL T
26-10-05, 22:14

Still think your gonna get nuked :D ?

/edit shit sorry doubble posted =/

Hell-demon
26-10-05, 22:28
Yes, yes I do.

The story guy is thinking lets nuke Revan for kicks :rolleyes:

Darkana
26-10-05, 22:38
For special places, maybe (e.g. the aforementioned impact craters, for example the Fallout series has similar things); for the general wastelands: no.

If the ticks are too long and with close to no HP change, it's a waste of resources (that includes having maybe high enough xray resist to counter the ticks). If the ticks are short enough to make any sense, things become a pain in the rear, like Mighty Max already mentioned.

Furthermore, if you look at the timeframe, many many years have passed since the earth got overall radiated. This also means the background radiation may still be higher than normal, but far below the levels where you see your life draining away.

I'm very often out in the wastes, I don't want to have the choice of armor made for me (I don't like the monk powercloak at all) just so I can continue with what I was doing before.

Lastly, if you want to add radiation, why not add bad healing burns (from fire and radiation), wounds that bleed, players who slowly mutate and get shot from guards because these think the players are mutants etc.pp. I do prefer playing Neocron over Sim Neocron :lol:

LiL T
26-10-05, 22:42
Thinking more...

If I was the DOY leader, I would have been plotting a nuclear attack within neocron its self, Its defences are too strong for normal nukes dropped from planes and missles. We are in the future here and laser defence or some other thing is likely to be in place, the copbots SL and faction scanners (if there is such a thing) is very good at detecting DOY runners. If they can see peoples SL, whats on there mind kind of thing, then the only way I could do it as leader of DOY would be to pay the CM's to plant the nuclear device inside the city. Everyone knows the city mercs are free to walk anywhere within neocron, I would not use a dirty nuke by default but I would after my home had been almost killed off. Man I'd put a H bomb in that place, which would smash everything, no buildings would be left standing and very few people would still be alive !

For special places, maybe (e.g. the aforementioned impact craters, for example the Fallout series has similar things); for the general wastelands: no.

If the ticks are too long and with close to no HP change, it's a waste of resources (that includes having maybe high enough xray resist to counter the ticks). If the ticks are short enough to make any sense, things become a pain in the rear, like Mighty Max already mentioned.

Furthermore, if you look at the timeframe, many many years have passed since the earth got overall radiated. This also means the background radiation may still be higher than normal, but far below the levels where you see your life draining away.

I'm very often out in the wastes, I don't want to have the choice of armor made for me (I don't like the monk powercloak at all) just so I can continue with what I was doing before.

Lastly, if you want to add radiation, why not add bad healing burns (from fire and radiation), wounds that bleed, players who slowly mutate and get shot from guards because these think the players are mutants etc.pp. I do prefer playing Neocron over Sim Neocron :lol:

Agreed but there have been some recent explosions TG canyons and DOY, these areas could still be very active

Oh and people would not mutate, thats a birth defect thing caused by radiation, what would happen is peoples hair would fall out first. They would become very sick throwing up a lot may even cough up blood, radiation causes cell damage. If its beta alpha radiations its gonna be stuff you breathed into the lungs, lung damage will occur and the dust might contaminate food meaning damage all around the body, another type is gamma waves which is normaly from the explosion and the neutron bombs main effect. Gamma will pass through almost everything, it is a wave much like light and xrays and will destroy cells as they pass through living things.

You get radiation sickness you will die, there are dugs to clear it up but in the end the cell damage will cause cancer and you die from that.

Vryce
26-10-05, 23:17
Psi-Monks are also supposed to be despised by most of Neocron's population.

And we still are .... :p .

Agree with zii's post, just enough to notice on low level runners.

IceStorm
27-10-05, 00:45
In the days of old ( ) you used to lose health from the pollution while venturing out into the wastes. It was not a giant amount but it was enough to make you think twice before running to tag TechHaven's GR as a 0/2 (which I always did anyway).Ok, if this was ever in-game, I never saw it. I went outside when the only way to get outside was to reset_position at the big door, no damage. I know I went outside in Beta 3 a few times. No damage. None in Beta 4, either.

Are you talking about a feature that was planned and never added, or are you talking about a beta patch that was added and then removed?

Morpheous
27-10-05, 04:19
@ The high level players bitching at "how annoying it'd be", how many of you wear PA? And if you don't, then you're exposing yourself to the environment of NC. Renember why there's cities- because the wastelands are toxic, radiated and polluted. Read your history books :p

I voted yes, because I think sticking to the 'storyline' interms of gameplay and game mechanics is so important, and there's a load of side effects that give this a bonus :)

Dade Murphey
27-10-05, 05:44
@ The high level players bitching at "how annoying it'd be", how many of you wear PA? And if you don't, then you're exposing yourself to the environment of NC. Renember why there's cities- because the wastelands are toxic, radiated and polluted. Read your history books :p

The whole wearing the power armor seems to me to be kinda a void arguement..I could be wrong but aren't the spy suits the only ones that give protection against radiation? PA isn't really to hold out radiation...seems like it's mainly to try and make you into a bit more of a bad ass in combat, what with the boosting of combat stats and all...

Heavyporker
27-10-05, 06:19
Everyone knows that I am a staunch supporter of wasteland radiation damage.

Fire damage from desert zones on top of the rad damage sounds excellent.

IceStorm
27-10-05, 09:44
If the background damage is as limited as described, then all you'd end up seeing is more people running Heal Sanc while in the wastes. You'd end up, what, increasing the rate at which people replace Heal Sanc spells?

Lame idea.

solling
27-10-05, 10:25
YES it would be so nice to finally have an reason to have to wear PA now that all classes actually have one

i think it would be so nice to see ALL classes wearing PA again like ye oll smurf days