PDA

View Full Version : Decent Routers

Tratos
23-10-05, 15:53
I recently got a job, this means i have money, this means i can buy things i really should have had ages ago.

Already bought a new headset because of this (couple days ago) as the old one was in 3 bits.

And now its the turn of a router.

Decent makes/models please with some gubbins on what its good etc.

Also if anyone knows somewhere i can get the routers reccomended for cheap within the UK would be very helpfull.

Cheers

Hippieman
23-10-05, 16:21
I have the Linksys WRT54GS 802.11 Wireless-G router. Never had any problems with it for the 5 months I've had it. Keeps a constant and strong speed of 54mbps. Its capable of going up to 128mbps if your router and the network cards you possess have the SRX technology (Linksys's Proprietary speed up stuff). The WRT54G is also good. Its my router without the SRX speed up thing and a bit less ram in it.

Scanner Darkly
23-10-05, 16:50
I have the Linksys WRT54GS 802.11 Wireless-G router. Never had any problems with it for the 5 months I've had it. Keeps a constant and strong speed of 54mbps. Its capable of going up to 128mbps if your router and the network cards you possess have the SRX technology (Linksys's Proprietary speed up stuff). The WRT54G is also good. Its my router without the SRX speed up thing and a bit less ram in it.

Sounds like yours is better than my Belkin wireless-G. The Belkin has pretty weak signal even over the distance of about 8 metres and a single wall. On the plus side it is easy to set up and has an intuitive browser interface. I'm moving and will probably be buying a new router, so I find this thread pretty useful as well.

Hippieman
23-10-05, 17:01
Opps my bad I didn't realise I had 128 mbps. It's 108mbps. And I do a shitload of Bittorrent with this at high speeds. Supposidly crashes routers or at least crashes the connection. Hasn't ever for me. Remember to constantly update the firmware of the router and the drivers for the cards.

Tratos
23-10-05, 18:28
Just as a note im not bothered about wireless really i like wires, there more reliable :)

giga191
23-10-05, 20:11
Just as a note im not bothered about wireless really i like wires, there more reliable :) just like me. i have a wireless network adaptor and an ethernet cable just incase one of them stop working

Judge
23-10-05, 23:14
I'm using a Netgear uh... DG834 and I've never had any problems. Its managed to support some LAN parties that I've had as well, with 7+ people connected through an extra hub. Didn't seem to have any problems with that either.

Hippieman
24-10-05, 05:36
WRT54G and GS also have wired connections just like a non-wireless router.

Brammers
24-10-05, 12:28
I also have the NetGear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?QuickLinx=2VCD) and Router 802.11g and I get most of my stuff from Dabs.

It's more or less on 24/7, and I've never had an issue with it. I know quite a few people who have one. It can do port forwarding. DHCP and a bunch of other stuff as well. It's easy to setup, and configure via the web inteface.

The wireless part of it is turned off since I dont have any wireless devices.