PDA

View Full Version : mmoRPG and our storyline... what storyline?

Bugs Gunny
14-10-05, 13:32
Since this is a roleplaying game, and i'm roleplaying my chars quite often, i find it strange that the storyline is pretty much dead right now.

No patches, no news, nothing.

So basicaly this game is becomming CS with characterclasses and skilllevels......

Riddle
14-10-05, 13:36
i'm still roleplaying and if you check NC just got a new governor (neocronicle) Mr Redcloud announced the failed attack on the OZ entrance by Y-reps etc the other night (Yes another GM spawn event with no notice :rolleyes: ) but hey at least it was an attempt at storyline :p.

But yes since the theft of rockwear and the convoy etc was the last big one i remember.

The story is suffering bring on the roleplay events!!

ZoVoS
14-10-05, 13:41
:lol: well it wouldnt be a suprised atack from y reps if they whent and told people about it now would it

:lol:

Riddle
14-10-05, 13:58
:lol: well it wouldnt be a suprised atack from y reps if they whent and told people about it now would it

:lol:

Point Taken but i think you missed mine :eek:

GM spawn events are fun if your on but add little to the storyline tbh just fill in a bit of fun for runners looking for something to do.

Last couple of events :-
Olympics - Great fun but no roleplay event
PvP competition (fight night) no roleplay event
PPU competition (couldn't make change of date :( )no roleplay event

Lets have a LARGE roleplay event :D

Dribble Joy
14-10-05, 14:13
As I said in another thread, RP is what you make it. But that said, some form of storyline based fun would be nice.

CMaster
14-10-05, 14:13
More events as part of some kinda storyline (can be a little sub-storyline, not a major one) please! (like what happend to the IronHead storyline?) More neocronicle artciles too please!

vashtyphoon78
14-10-05, 14:17
the story is suffering because our pops are crap. hopefully this evol crap will bring back some people and get us some nice pops again.

Nidhogg
14-10-05, 14:24
There will be some important storyline news in the very near future. I can't say anything more right now except that things will be changing for the better...

N

Paper Dragon
14-10-05, 14:39
Very few MMORPGs I know of have been able to have any sort of tangible storyline, never mind one that effects the world beyond Creep spawns and so on. Even World of Warcraft which was heralded as having something like this doesn't deliver (Sure, saying "THE BIG BAD DRAGON IS GOING TO KILL US ALL" and then slapping another level sixty instance into the game might count as storyline, but in that same regard a Neocron mission to kill Roaches is also storyline).

Probably one of the most frustrating things though is how very few people really have the dedication to Roleplay and to the world to really make something like this shine. I remember a while ago - during NC1 - when a number of the Faction Counsellors would try to get story based events going, but a few people either tried to harass the people in said event, or just had complete and utter apathy towards it (Anyone remember the "Champion of Crahn" - I believe that's what it was called - event? Almost every last member of the playerbase was turned off by it because it involved something other than killing).

I'm not saying Reakktor are perfect when it comes to story, far from it, but I think the playerbase needs to be a little more open-minded.

At any rate, though, it's nice to see Nidhogg respond with that sort of post.

ESP-Player
14-10-05, 15:22
There will be some important storyline news in the very near future. I can't say anything more right now except that things will be changing for the better...

N
lol.. if i only had a nickel

Nidhogg
14-10-05, 15:30
lol.. if i only had a nickel
Heh. If only I had a nickel for every person who posted a smartass message only to have their account investigated and discovered to be evading a prior permanent ban. I'd be rich too.

I'll ask Snow if he can make a statement re: the storyline news.

N

awkward silence
14-10-05, 15:36
Heh. If only I had a nickel for every person who posted a smartass message only to have their account investigated and discovered to be evading a prior permanent ban. I'd be rich too.

I'll ask Snow if he can make a statement re: the storyline news.

N

If id get a nickel for every smartass comment i hear from ya... *checks nids postcount* id have about eleven thousand nickels :p

Riddle
14-10-05, 15:49

N

Thanks for the reply Nid and forget the lamers Ban away!

At least you bother to let us know there may be something on the horizon :D even knowing you'll get the odd smartass message :rolleyes:

Maybe a Biotech experiment gone wrong? evolving all plant life beyond belief (cue Evo 2.1) ;)

numb
14-10-05, 16:08
the story is suffering because our pops are crap. hopefully this evol crap will bring back some people and get us some nice pops again.

That would be lovely but I highly doubt anyone would come back to experience new vegetation & new models. I dont think lack of vegetation or new gun models is why people left. I imagine the PvP server (which is part of the evol stuff) brought some people back, but KK made the mistake of leaving the LE on the pvp server, which will ultimately result in far less fun or fights. Neptune population is well down now...

Dade Murphey
14-10-05, 16:29
I've always kind of been astounded there seems to be little to no real storyline in NC...there was for a while, I can't remember the guys name who was doing it, but he gave us larents and such and that was all pretty cool...Asheron's Call has a pretty good method for it's on-going storyline...usually comes with new content once a month, they post the story as it goes on their site...so once a month you have a patch/update, new content (usually) and you can tangibly see it in the world...it makes the game a bit more interactive and adds a little more "fun" to it

If NC would have a bit of a storyline that went beyond GM spawns and actually had a visible effect on the game world, to some extent, I think it could add a lot to this game and possibly bring some new people in

Kozmos
14-10-05, 19:27
I just wish we got a prominent GM like retrobooster or someone from back at that time, that guy lived to be a GM lol and was like always online and always doin random events :lol:

[ edited - if you have a problem with a GM take it up with SnowCrash ]

Ryen
15-10-05, 03:07

I told a friend about this, and he said the best thing about neocron I have ever heard. As well as something KK should have taken to heart long ago.

"That game has been given too many chances".

Scanner Darkly
15-10-05, 08:42
story line? I hate to sound like a diamond-toothed troll, but how has our grand storyline advanced since the reopening of the Canyon facility? Any sense of a dynamic and evolution within the game is frozen in limbo.

IF and when we get the NC zoo and other bits and pieces opening up, I'm sure this will help to relieve the static feeling of the current NC experience...

That still doesnt build up/resolve the intra city conflict and actually move us ahead in time.

Kozmos
15-10-05, 09:55
[ edited - if you have a problem with a GM take it up with SnowCrash ]

sowwy, bleh i take everything with a pinch of salt now anyway, didnt name any names its just hilariously suspciious ... no harm intended ;o

Kozmos
15-10-05, 09:57
yknow what NC needs aswell

a damn arcade, put it in plaza 1, theres unused space just outside medi, the corner opposite where yakarmas was, the LoM shop now, put a building in that corner opposite

im 99% sure, tho i may have dreampt it up lol, that waaay back in beta, the citycom had a arcade bit on it, either that or it was a concept idea, cant remember, do something like that for when people are just that bored ;o least it will keep them in game a bit longer

[Edit] oops double post :/ and a edit in the same thread, go me !

CMaster
23-10-05, 13:45
Still no sign of anything, and it looks like we are headed for a whole one Neocronicle entry this month. I can sympathise that there are other things to be getting on with, but would it be that hard to give the EGMs say one mini-storyline each month to do four or five events around? Then maybe write (get runners to write maybe) two or three 'croncile/VotR articles? Just an idea.

giga191
23-10-05, 13:56

N well played

Anyway, if you have KK doing RP stuff then they aren't doing patch stuff = bad

elGringo
23-10-05, 14:22

Not at all...
whats so bad about doing patchy stuff with an RP background storyline?

Add new Quests / Items / weapons .. fine... but why not in a way that enforces a proceeding story, rather than having small content bits here & there that are thrown into the game without any purpose other than being a new item etc..

Nidhogg
23-10-05, 14:33
We've hired a full-time writer to continue the storyline and he's working on it as we speak. Authors are just as crap as artists at coding.

N

Bugs Gunny
23-10-05, 14:42
Hey, i'll bet they won't put spelling mistakes in the code :-)

Tratos
23-10-05, 15:03
Authors are just as crap as artists at coding.

N

I think that quote needs to be EVERYONES signautre as some people just dont get the message.

giga191
23-10-05, 15:04
We've hired a full-time writer to continue the storyline and he's working on it as we speak. Authors are just as crap as artists at coding.

N you mean KK have hired one now, or they already had one? Put that stuff in your community statement thread if they have just hired one.

Hell-demon
23-10-05, 15:10
Niddy is right folks I for one know something BIG is coming. And it will rock Neocron to its core :eek:

giga191
23-10-05, 15:30
Niddy is right folks I for one know something BIG is coming. And it will rock Neocron to its core :eek: Reza is not real? omg i would never have guessed8|

Nidhogg
23-10-05, 17:49
you mean KK have hired one now, or they already had one? Put that stuff in your community statement thread if they have just hired one.
We're waiting for the right time. We're also not above teasing.

N

Hell-demon
23-10-05, 18:38
you guys always tease.

I have a horribe feeling that when the story atkes off Im going to get nuked. not everyone just me. I'm paranoid like that!

LiL T
23-10-05, 19:09
Since this is a roleplaying game, and i'm roleplaying my chars quite often, i find it strange that the storyline is pretty much dead right now.

No patches, no news, nothing.

So basicaly this game is becomming CS with characterclasses and skilllevels......

Roleplaying is what you make of it

giga191
23-10-05, 20:08
We're waiting for the right time. We're also not above teasing.

N would you have done it if i hadn't said anything?

Asurmen Spec Op
23-10-05, 20:18
Honestly, dont expect KK to RP for you, NC has one fucking kick as story line, but if you just run around going "Boom boom guy go die hehe I r teh pwn" then bitch to the forums about the lack of RP.

RP start with you

RogerRamjet
23-10-05, 21:51
Aslong as they dont mess up the factions anymore im fine with any story lines.

Mr_Snow
23-10-05, 23:08
I think that quote needs to be EVERYONES signautre as some people just dont get the message.
Why? plenty of coders can write, design and do some art. Plenty of artists can code reasonably well too, if you only hire people with one ability, noone else to blame but yourself

Scanner Darkly
23-10-05, 23:19
Why? plenty of coders can write, design and do some art. Plenty of artists can code reasonably well too, if you only hire people with one ability, noone else to blame but yourself

Yeah, that's why great games have dedicated departments and mediocre ones are botched together by jacks of all trades.

Mr_Snow
23-10-05, 23:31
Yeah, that's why great games have dedicated departments and mediocre ones are botched together by jacks of all trades.
Black Isle, Troika and Bioware all worked like that, until bioware hired about 200 people
Most of the famous game developers are multi-talented and worked as a few things as well

EA has dedicated departments, im glad you like there games so much :p