PDA

View Full Version : evo 2.1 and changable skins

ZoVoS
14-10-05, 13:16
ok with all the new pritty moddles coming in

when the graphics teams done (and after they do the rpos) why dont they work on 3 ingame skins for each gun, one nice new clean no rust, one starting to rust and be damage n cracked, and one totaly wasted gun texture

then the coders code something small that changes the weapon so its perfect when its 120 120 (has the good texture)

100-70 has a tarnished texture
<70 its all rusted and crap

=] just be summin nice to brag about to other ppl... ye well in my game u can see our guns rust over time

and like it would only take 10 mins per gun to add a rust effect on the weapons metal areas and some cracks on the wooden bits ect

could do it with amour to... in dx9 u have bump shading available. why not make a few extra textures for the pa to see cracks n blemishes apear the lower its condition gets

=] just something i was thinking about when sumbody commented i always wondered how a good constructer made rusty weapons =]

id love a rusty cs :angel:

Riddle
14-10-05, 13:22
Seen this idea before in relation to PA.

and i love it! Think damaged PA would look great even go the full hog and do vechs aswell with a damaged one having bits hanging off it :lol:

ZoVoS
14-10-05, 13:25
Seen this idea before in relation to PA.

and i love it! Think damaged PA would look great even go the full hog and do vechs aswell with a damaged one having bits hanging off it :lol:

ohhh vhc's

great idea =]

it would be nice to see a pritty new rhyno be demolised to a pile of bits

but i think that would requier new moddles to like have bits handing off. chanign the moddles is alot of work changing txtures shouldnt be that hard

commerzgandalf
14-10-05, 13:27
great idea i love it

Mfg Commerz Gandalf

Scanner Darkly
14-10-05, 14:03
Great idea. Voted accordingly.

vashtyphoon78
14-10-05, 14:16
best idea ive heard in a while.

Dribble Joy
14-10-05, 14:25
I had a similar idea ages ago, but instead of dmg, different skins for each lvl of weapon. So a lvl 1 gun would fizzle and spark occationally, and give a big puff of smoke when you reload and things.

Dade Murphey
14-10-05, 16:59
ok with all the new pritty moddles coming in

when the graphics teams done (and after they do the rpos) why dont they work on 3 ingame skins for each gun, one nice new clean no rust, one starting to rust and be damage n cracked, and one totaly wasted gun texture

then the coders code something small that changes the weapon so its perfect when its 120 120 (has the good texture)

100-70 has a tarnished texture
<70 its all rusted and crap

Great idea...would add some character to things...would be nice if it applied to all things...vhcs, armor, weps etc

I like DJ's idea as well

-FN-
14-10-05, 18:57

Rustier things in the 1-40% base condition, Normal things in the 40-80% base condition and shiny new ones from 80%-120% :)

The only bottleneck I'd see is the server sending the condition data to all of the clients' weapons so they know which models to show... unless it already does that?

Kozmos
14-10-05, 19:01
the thing is anyone from NC1, look at the weapons youve had for years on your main chars, look at the condition

my tanks got a PoB hes had since well, shit if i can remember, probably about 3 years, and considering the ammount its been used for PvP and PvM its only needed 2 repairs, its conditions like 52/114%
Ive got a PoB on neptune, 4 slot, used daily for the last month or so, and done alotta cave runs with it for cash etc, and its only 117/120 lol.....

maybe in another 5 years or so, youll start to see rusted weapons

aKe`cj
14-10-05, 19:17
The only bottleneck I'd see is the server sending the condition data to all of the clients' weapons so they know which models to show... unless it already does that?

Not necessarily....
you'd either have to add an additional value to the clientupdate or you'd have to triple the amount of weapons with almost identic copies (identic apart from the weapons skin)... the latter would not affect the netcode at all, but would require a major revamp of the construction and itemquality system... and I really mean MAJOR.
It's a nice idea on the paper and on the first thought just a few textures = not much effort - ...not for the art department...but for poor CoDi :p

ZoVoS
14-10-05, 23:07
mmm. i supose with pa and characters it may be different because we all know there texturs can chance. we have all seen a gimp mask when the trouses get applyed to the characters face and so on

i supose it would all depend on how the textures are applyed to the weapons.

and sumwhere i hev a 12/ pob =] they do get battered over time. and if u have amour it gets battered REALY FAST so that would be even better

and i sujested higher values (<70) because its true most weapons dont ever drop below 90

Serious_Sam
15-10-05, 00:39
How about ACTUAL vehicle physics. I'd love to run down a long line of muties carmageddon style.

ZoVoS
15-10-05, 00:51
cant can they. with the sukkie net code we would kill our gunners as they tryed to get in the vhc

Scanner Darkly
16-10-05, 01:51
It's funny that a game that is 7 years old or so (Quake 2) had a multi skin system for the mobs (as did Quake 1 and almost every 1st person shooter from doom onwards).

Weapons/armour/mobs that show progressive damage would rock, but I think the size of the task means this is not a realistic expectation from a company the size of Reakktor.

RogerRamjet
16-10-05, 13:00
This would be a great idea, especially for PA.

My PPU wears a 23/23 PA3 :D