PDA

View Full Version : What to install on clean windows.

[TgR]KILLER
11-10-05, 10:10
As topic says. what to reinstall on a clean windows install.. since i gotta reformat. here some things i thought off.

Windows 2000 SP4 install.

Norton 2005
Ghost 2003
Winrar
Acrobat reader
IE6 ( yes i never use ff )
nero
adware
spybot
winamp
windows updates

Brammers
11-10-05, 10:16
You got the main and important ones there.

DirectX
Windows Media Player 9
Winzip
MS Office
Gaim
Ventrilo Mix

However in my case, I have a million and one developer tools to install as well.

Edit: And the most important install. NEOCRON!

Bugs Gunny
11-10-05, 10:26
replace spybot with hitman pro 2
it has spybot incorporated, along with a bunch of other great tools.

Besides, if you had norton ghost before, why did you have to reformat? A nice clonecopy would have done the job.

[TgR]KILLER
11-10-05, 10:45
i din't have ghost before i never get around to install and ghost lol. i know i should but meh.

neocron won't go off in the first place its on the D drive. only game thats gonna be removed is UT2004 since that has keys in the reg it won't run when windows is reinstalled so have to reinstall that sometimes.

also vent mix won't go on since i'm running vent on my laptop you should know bram ;) but directx yea good one almost forgot.

and fux.. just rememberd i prob won't be able to install msn 6.5 again :( so have to go to 7 now sigh. even less time on msn then i hate 7 stupid bs smilies can't even read the text with all text being smilies lol.

Koshinn
11-10-05, 10:49
O, I know this answer!

In no particular order...

SP2
NC2
AVG Free Edition
Spybot S&D
Winamp
AiM
Photoshop
SmartFTP
Media Player Classic
mIRC
drivers.. lots of drivers
Download Accelerator
CD-DA Xtractor (cd ripper)
Ventrilo
Stepmania
OpenOffice
WinRAR
EV:Nova
Nero
Bittorrent of some kind
VirtualDub
DaemonTools
Music!!!

[TgR]KILLER
11-10-05, 11:25
deamon good thing almost forgot that.

just burned photoshop and nero here @ work so got those to. just thought of azurus myself.

i got most utils on a cd i called backup v5 ( guess why v5 ) think i gonna put together backup v6 tonight on my laptop. only this gonna be the first edition on dvd so i can put more utils and programs on it =)

as for sp2. using win 2k so its sp4 :p gonna put the network installer of that on the dvd to ( never had room on the cd )

edit. as said music / nc2 and all other stuff are on other disks. c is only windows. most progs and games are on D. music and some random stuff is on E and game images and movies are on F :)

Xian
11-10-05, 13:45
In a particular order as I install 2k machines so often... :p

SP4 if it's not on the CD
Drivers/DX/etc.
Firewall
AV (I use Sophos, wouldn't touch Norton even if they paid me)
Anti spyware x 2 (MS & spybot for me)
Firefox
Nero
Deamon or however it's spelt
Winrar or equivalent
Office

Defrag... then anything else.

Argent
11-10-05, 13:51
Win2k for the win! But for gods sake use Firefox or Opera (it's was made free just recently), IE is a buggy, featureless, giant security risk and steaming pile of corprate shit.

Then again, that might explain why you have to have Norton installed....
(Anyone who knows a bit about computers and whose job doesn't require one to open shady email attachments can easily live without 24/7 virus-detectors)

Also, you might wanna consider using Foobar as audioplayer, people say it's pretty darn good (I'm still stuck using Winamp as well, don't ask why).

And remember to disable the messenger service.

Ps. This might be worth your attention nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) .

Morganth
11-10-05, 14:09
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta is fairly decent at blocking things, as it also prompts when active content runs or certain programs open up ports on your PC. It also has the ability to "Erase Tracks" which gives you the opportunity to clear you tempory folder, temporary internet files folder, cookies, IE history, recent program history, cleans your registry and clears some program's recent document lists. And it automatically updates.

Terayon
11-10-05, 18:45
quicktime + realplayer alternative.

Download Accelerator
If its the one with the green fast forward arrow its full of spyware. Getright is way better. I have tried em both.

[TgR]KILLER
11-10-05, 20:24
Halfway trough making the dvd.

it contains most if not all programs mentioned plus

Images of

Windows 2000
Windows Xp
Office 2003
Office 2000
Norton Antivirus 2005
Symantec Ghost

on 3.7 GB atm.. so got a gig to spare for more stuff :x

Skusty
11-10-05, 20:41
BF2

BF2

BF2

NC2

BF2

hmmm what more of right

BF2

J/K :p

Vae Victis
12-10-05, 20:38
man my norton wont even let me register, meaning i got no anti virus whatsoever.

got hitman, got spydoctor (or something) got adaware.. but i never run them.

I gotta reformat :(
got shitloads of stuff i need to get rid of..
got an 120 gig external disc, i can save like everything on there.
all my PSD files, all my pic vids and mp3s, and some random tools, winzip winrar, msn, nero (got the cd though).

How long will it take to reformat, install all the things that Xian said.. and then defrag?
a few hours? a day ? :/

only games im gonna install are neocron and FEAR... ive finished playing soldier of fortune 2, vampires the masquerades and NFSU2.. plus halflife/CS:S ...

I gotta make a list of what to install + in what order, basically same as TGR Killer..

edit..
in my attachment is a screenshot of my taskmanager..
wtf are all those programs? i bet half of em are spyware shiz.
(dunno HOW I got all that shit, my dad's PC has like 6-7 programs running.
also dont watch the memory.. buying more on friday :()

Xian
13-10-05, 13:53
Win2k for the win! But for gods sake use Firefox or Opera (it's was made free just recently), IE is a buggy, featureless, giant security risk and steaming pile of corprate shit.

Firefox = no more secure than IE, they just patch faster. And they have a potential army of coders at their fingertips.

Same principal as with Macs, they just don't have enough market share for people to bother noticing.

Then again, that might explain why you have to have Norton installed....
(Anyone who knows a bit about computers and whose job doesn't require one to open shady email attachments can easily live without 24/7 virus-detectors)

Anyone who knows a bit about computers would know one of the first things to do is keep AV up at all times. Of course, you can pretend that you can monitor all those holes at once, if you really want. Oh, wait, viruses only come from attachments! How silly of me. ;)

Argent
13-10-05, 16:27
Anyone who knows a bit about computers would know one of the first things to do is keep AV up at all times. Of course, you can pretend that you can monitor all those holes at once, if you really want. Oh, wait, viruses only come from attachments! How silly of me. ;)

[ Lodars edit - thanks for the tip-off ;) ]

Asurmen Spec Op
13-10-05, 19:12
Firefox = no more secure than IE, they just patch faster. And they have a potential army of coders at their fingertips.

Same principal as with Macs, they just don't have enough market share for people to bother noticing.

I honestly have my doubt about Firefox being as open as IE, IE has some pretty fucked up security holes

Darkana
14-10-05, 10:55
IE has basicly two problems: It's core is used throughout the system and it's totally outdated. That's why holes in IE are maybe a greater threat than holes in Firefox or any other browser with it's own core. Secondly, it's a headache to create webpages running the same in all browsers. For my own stuff I couldn't care less about the IE users. IE7 will be working closer to the standards, and thus a lot of pages will break ... you can guess why.

Furthermore, the more software you use, the more risk you have in something failing. For example, using Antivirus software is maybe a good thing, but to a virus it's yet another program open for attack and misuse (happened already).

Another thing which gives me the creeps is this auto-update feature, which spreads in use. I wait for the day someone hacks one of these update servers and exchanges some patches ...

Xian
14-10-05, 12:35
I honestly have my doubt about Firefox being as open as IE, IE has some pretty fucked up security holes

You need to do your reading before jumping to conclusions, then. Think about it - why would someone want to attack something that a small percentage of the web-browsing community use, when they can just easily target a huge majority?

If Firefox was massively popular it would be having far more problems in terms of security. But it's not. It still manages to acquire it's fair share of critical exploits, though.

People forget how difficult it is to create a secure piece of software. Especially one that uses so many internet protocols (IIS & Apache, anyone?).

Terayon
14-10-05, 21:10
I thought most of the insecurity was due to activex letting people in :wtf:.

darkservent
15-10-05, 00:30
You need to do your reading before jumping to conclusions, then. Think about it - why would someone want to attack something that a small percentage of the web-browsing community use, when they can just easily target a huge majority?

If Firefox was massively popular it would be having far more problems in terms of security. But it's not. It still manages to acquire it's fair share of critical exploits, though.

People forget how difficult it is to create a secure piece of software. Especially one that uses so many internet protocols (IIS & Apache, anyone?).

Got a point, its all about hitting the most amount of people. Nothing is really secure if its made by humans.

Oh and what I install with fresh windows before I image it is as follows:

Daemon
Nero
CloneCD
PowerDVD
Emule
Bitcomet
DC++
Netlimiter (yes Im a leecher not like I have the luxury of great amounts of UL BW)
Adaware Pro
MS Antispyware
Office
Xvid
DivX
TV Apps
Realplayer
Quicktime 7 Pro
VLC
Winamp
Winzip
WinRAR
NOD32
Ghost

Think thats about it.......

Oh not to forget

Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro

Still cant think of a decent low resource firewall yet......

[Edit] How could I forget MSN Messenger with MsgPlus! and the Stuffplug plugin. Also Yahoo too then I image after all this lot.

suler
19-10-05, 08:33
[ edited ]

suler
20-10-05, 07:47
Alright then just
alcohol 120%
dvddecrypter

I'm guessing the other one is why I got edited. Dc++ and torrent programs are just as bad though.